• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Beech Grove
    I am wanting to get a 10mm. I don't have enough money to buy a G20 and ammo. I have a Glock 21 with 7 mags and 1500 rounds of 45. I just sold my 357 mag. I loved the power, but not a 6 shot revolver guy. Would it be worth it to sell it all and buy the same setup in 10mm for the G20? I have thought about a conversion barre for the G21, but dont want to trust my life on a conversion. Thanks.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Well, there's no reason NOT to do it, if that's what u want.
    I'm guessing that by the time you sell your current stuff, you might lose 15-20% of its value.
    Why not sell 500 rds of your .45, and put that towards a G20??based on your post, u want to use the g20 as an everything gun, right?
    The middle-of-the-road option is to get a conversion barrel and see if u like/want a dedicated 10mm gun.

Will317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Beech Grove
    Yes. As an all around gun. Right now I use my G21 with 230gr HST for 2 legged and Underwood 200gr +p Xtreme Penetrators for 4 legged protection when in the woods. Been reading and watching videos and seems like the 10mm may be better suited for the 4 legged critters. Mainly use for protection from Black Bear and Cougars. I would love to get the conversion, but worried about reliability. I have read that some people shoot 1k rounds without and issue, and the next guy can't even get through a full mag.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd go for the conversion barrel first and see if 10mm is worth it for you. I did not see any mention of reloading, so be warned that depending on where you get it, 10mm can be crazy expensive. I run 9mm barrels in both my G27 and G23 and have had enough ammo through them to make me think they'd be fine for carry if I decided to go that route. I currently have a G21 and am planning on adding a conversion barrel to shoot 10mm.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just get the slide and barrel and a mag from a g20. Then it's not a conversion-- it IS a g20.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    With a fully supported aftermarket barrel and a stiffer recoil spring, you can shoot .45 Super, which is more than enough for any 4 legged threats you are likely to encounter east of the Rockies.
    Swap out the recoil spring back to stock, and you can still shoot .45 ACP in the aftermarket barrel, since the cartridges are the same dimensions. No concerns about extractor or ejector interface with the cartridge, since they are the same dimension. The .45 Super is just a stronger case for the increased operating pressure.

Info on .45 Super: How to Convert a Glock 21 to .45 Super

This ammo ought to do ya: https://www.underwoodammo.com/45-super-255-grain-hard-cast-flat-nose/
    Same load from Buffalo Bore: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=215

255 grain flat nose cast lead at 1075 fps will get the job done. No need for 10mm, unless you just wanna.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    Had a 10mm colt delta elite. Traded it off because the ammo was just too expensive and that's when they did have it. Reloading was also expensive compared to other calibers. I will say the gun was very peppy. I would definitely investigate before making a purchase.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Had a 10mm colt delta elite. Traded it off because the ammo was just too expensive and that's when they did have it. Reloading was also expensive compared to other calibers. I will say the gun was very peppy. I would definitely investigate before making a purchase.

Reloading 10mm costs exactly the same as reloading .40 or .45 and about a penny or two more per round than 9mm. Even during the ammo shortage commercial 10mm was available at times when the other wasn't. Just because Walmart doesn't carry it is poor reasoning.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I carrying a G 20 SF right now. It's a blast to shoot! I shoot Underwood exclusively out of it. Superb ammo that is not overpriced.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Buy the bbl. I have the bbl in my 21, bought a couple of 20 mags. It functions flawlessly. You don't need a slide. The 21 works fine. I am probably going to change my recoil spring eventually. I Googled it, they say you should do it initially. I will soon. Also keep an eye on your extractor it can bend. It isn't perfect but gives you an idea what the real one is! I know others will have different opinions. Listen to Shibummiseeker, he's the guru on 10 mm! Also my total cost in my "conversion" is less than $150! Just my two cents!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I love 10mm, but the price of ammo for it makes it a particularly appealing motivation for reloading.
    I haven't bought a factory load for my own 10mm in over twenty years.
    It's an incredibly capable round, and not nearly as difficult to handle as the hype would lead you to believe, at least not in a full sized gun.

Will317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Beech Grove
    I travel to Tennessee in the smokey mountains a lot. I am not worried about reloading and price of ammo. And I looked into a complete upper. It is $340 for a complete G20 factory upper. Plus 3 mags for $75. I will be in it about $425. I can find a whole G20 for $550.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I am really thinking I will just bite the bullet so to say, and but a G20 and find the money for some ammo from underwood.

Atta boy.
    Sadly, I haven't been able to get the one load I want from them the most: 155 grain Speer Gold Dot
    I reload those, but I really want theirs so that I have a legit factory load for my carry load...you know, ambulance chaser lawyers for that worst case scenario.

Top Bottom