• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I'm thinking about trading my Glock 22 for a 23. I held but have not shot a G23 and it felt better in my hand. My question would be for those who have shot both. Is the grip on a 23 better for a shooter with smaller hands? I didn't get to play with the trigger on the one because it wasn't my gun and I didn't want to impose on the person and ask to shoot it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    the only real difference is the size...internals are basically identical...spring will feel the same, etc.............a glock is a glock...other than size, if it's a factory gun there aren't any real noticeable differences..........I prefer the 23 over the 22 as well for it's size...it just feels a little more comfortable

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Love the G23!!! :rockwoot: The 23 was the first Glock I ever bought and I will never get rid of it. I have shot most Glock models and the 23 is my favorite followed very closely by the G30. I have pretty small hands and the G23 is a great shooter to me. If it feels better in your hand, then I think you will be good to go with a 23. I do not notice much of a difference in felt recoil between the 22 and the 23 if that is what you are worried about. The 23 still has enough grip to get your whole hand on. Going from the 23 to the 27 is where more felt recoil comes in for most people. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have to agree with the other two on this. I have shot both, and the only real difference I notice it the balance of the 23seems a little better. Recoil is not noticeably different, and the trigger is identical. If grip size is an issue, you might want to look into the 4th gen model to see if it fits your hand better.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    thanks guys, i'm not sure if chopping it would help my situation because my main problem is the trigger reach. Or did it help with this also?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If trigger reach is your main problem, make sure that you check out a Gen 4 G-23...and see if changing the back strap makes any difference in your 'reach'.

I recently found a Gen 2, G-23 that appears to be still 'NIB' from 1995 (it has zero marks of any kind on it) and it fits my hand perfectly! The owner traded it in b/c he 'never fired it'...and it looks it!

I have small hands and I prefer the compact frame size. I've held and shot a G-22 and, while everything worked okay...it just wasn't all that comfortable with it, neither did I like the overall size. I didn't find any difference in the way it shot, but rather in the way it felt when I shot it. I was accurate with both, but felt more comfortable with the G-23. Glock's compact size is 'perfect' for me!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Trigger reach is not affected at all by chopping it, so my suggestion would be to look at a gen 4 with a small backstrap. Another option would be buying a glock with a beat up frame (or just a slide) and a lonewolf frame.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm thinking about trading my Glock 22 for a 23. I held but have not shot a G23 and it felt better in my hand. My question would be for those who have shot both. Is the grip on a 23 better for a shooter with smaller hands? I didn't get to play with the trigger on the one because it wasn't my gun and I didn't want to impose on the person and ask to shoot it.

I carried a Glock 22 for years, and recently switched to the G23. I can't tell any difference. I have average hands. I think the only need for a G22 grip is if you have fat fingers or an over sized hand. My understanding is that the size difference is only in length of the grip, so you have a very, very smaller area increase on a per finger grove basis, and of course the sides and back are also a little longer for those with wider palms.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    To me, the G22 is just too big to carry concealed(my prefered carry), but the G23 is OK. I do not own a G22, but a guy I work with does and I have shot the gun. Great gun, but dog-gonned big one too.

sskeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I currently have a Glock 23. While I have never shot a Glock 22 I have shot the Glock 21 in .45 caliber. I have big hands and do like the feel of the bigger Glock 21 which is similar to the Glock 22. Howevere the 23 is a little easier for concealed carry

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    If trigger reach is the problem, I don't think getting a 23 over a 22 (gen 1-3) will make any difference.

Honestly though, if the size of the frame is the problem (G22 is a little big to CC, prints pretty bad for me) then chopping is def the way to go.

It was really easy (used a hacksaw and some sandpaper) and it looks pretty good.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    If trigger reach is the problem, I don't think getting a 23 over a 22 (gen 1-3) will make any difference.

Honestly though, if the size of the frame is the problem (G22 is a little big to CC, prints pretty bad for me) then chopping is def the way to go.

It was really easy (used a hacksaw and some sandpaper) and it looks pretty good.

Yeah i checked out your thread on the chop and it looks awesome, you did a great job

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Thanks man ;) but this is about you. Another option to shorten the trigger reach (aside from the lonewolf frame I already mentioned) is a grip reduction. There are some companies out there that do that (bowie tactical, Robar, and maybe a few others), but you can also do it yourself. There are some videos on youtube, and some threads about it all over the web.
    Pretty much you fill the backstrap and sand it down to fit your hand.

Good luck man and I hope you find something you like.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I carried my Glock 23 as my primary carry gun for some years, and had no problems with it.

At the time I began carrying my Glock 23 some years ago, it was reported to be the #1 carry handgun for plainclothes police at the time, and that made it good enough for me.

I've now been carrying my Glock 27 (also .40 ) for a couple of years due to it's more compact size, and sometimes a Glock 29 (10mm).

I actually like my full sized Glock 20 in 10mm best, but the full sized Glocks aren't as convenient for carry most of the time for me.

You'll have no trouble going from a Glock 22 to a Glock 23.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    CC only: Glock 26/27
    CC mainly, OC occasionally: 26/27/19/23
    OC only: Any, I OC a 27, but id go for 21/22 here.

Im not saying you CANT, just "what I would do" given one of the three options. I have a 19 and a 27 and have used a 17/21. Also keep in mind im 135lbs 5 foot 9.

Top Bottom