• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsochs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Greetings,

I'm seeking the opinion of anyone who has lots of experience shooting AND has experience with a conversion kit vs .22LR handgun.

I just got into shooting(1 year or so) for family protection. Be reawakened a childhood fascination; I love shooting and now I'm interested in shooting for sport. Maybe, I'll go hunt (guess I'll have to learn about rifles vs shotguns vs handguns for hunting) just to try it, learn. Nothing heavy once or twice a year to camp out with a friend. Ay some point, I'll attend some competitive events. Either way - I want to keep the cost of learning low.

22LR appears to be the cheapest way to shoot and learn marksmanship. I use a 9x19. Is it better to run this 9x19 or to get something else that will shoot similar in feel and sight experience. Ruger Mark III was recommended once at a range. But I've since learned about conversion kits and I'm wondering if using the same handgun will increase my accuracy in competition and if life brings distress. If I learn on a separate firearm, will my personal defense firearm be unfamiliar if I have to defend?

Thanks in advance for your expertise

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I were you, I'd try to shoot someone else's equipment first, before making that decision.

For the price of a GOOD conversion kit (say, for a Glock, CZ, or Beretta) you can get another Ruger pistol.

So, it'll boil down to what feels best to you.

For ME, I'd just as soon have another gun than a conversion kit.

Trigger time is trigger time, after all.

-J-

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I grew up shooting anything and everything i could get my hands on. Beg borrow but do not steal.

You will get to see what it is you like and make purchases from there.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Have both (AACK 19/23 LE kit and a Ruger MkII and 22/45), and both are good at what they do... but they do different things.

About the only thing they have in common is use of the economical and low-recoiling .22LR cartridge.

The Ruger – or any dedicated .22 target-type pistol for that matter – allows one to concentrate on marksmanship fundamentals without the distraction of muzzle blast, recoil or long/heavy trigger pull. They are extremely accurate and fun to shoot (and they also make a dandy suppressor host), but even the 22/45 models will have a feel and manual of arms that is significantly different from your carry gun, so you will get no crossover training value in terms of building muscle memory.

The AACK gives you some crossover training value, at the cost of diminished accuracy vs. the Ruger. Overall feel, trigger pull, sights and manual of arms remain the same as your carry gun, though weight and recoil are obviously much less.

Whichever route you go, don't allow yourself to get spoiled by doing the majority of your practice/training with the .22; use the little gun for marksmanship drills, draw-to-first-shot sequences, and other things as warm-up and/or cool-down exercises, but do the bulk of your work with your carry caliber.

:twocents:

bsochs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    i would just get a seperate .22 pistol I have a walther and so far I like the way it shoots and is very accurate and you can put a ton of accessories on them

Is that a P22? like the way those feel. It seems to have some good weight to it.

sajnaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    bfe rockville in
    i have heard that the p22 are picky on ammo and they normally like the more expensive ammo. i just purhcased a ruger mark ll stainless with the hi viz sights for 275 brand new in the box and all i can say is wow i have a achieved a level of accuracy with this little pistol that i could never achieve with my xdm i am almost as accurate with this little pistol as my 10/22. here is a pic

IMG_5000.jpg

LotsofGlocks

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you like shooting the Glock platform you may want to look into the ISSC M22. I have one and cant say nothing but good things about them. Great .22lr handgun for Glock lovers :twocents:

bsochs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    I'll shoot anything for the fun of it But I was hoping to train specifically for being great with my Glock. If the Ruger MkII, BuckMark or P22 or so accurate, will that make me less accurate on the GLock? Ir will it just help with my overall shooting habits.

The ISSC looks to be the closest to a Glock(besides the AA conversion) I hear the conversion isn't as accurate as a dedicated 22. I wonder what the stats are on that, how far out ?

The Browning Buckmark looks to me like it would match a Glock feel more than the Ruger. I don't know I still quite new to all this.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    i have heard that the p22 are picky on ammo and they normally like the more expensive ammo. i just purhcased a ruger mark ll stainless with the hi viz sights for 275 brand new in the box and all i can say is wow i have a achieved a level of accuracy with this little pistol that i could never achieve with my xdm i am almost as accurate with this little pistol as my 10/22. here is a pic

IMG_5000.jpg

+1 On buying the Ruger. In my opinion one of the best .22 semi autos made and for sure the most accurate one I have ever owned in 49 years.

bsochs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Class 3 Sales had one about 40 days ago. I have a Sig 220 22 conv that
    I like. If I had shot/handled the Sig Mosquito, I might have gotten one.

8th

I'm not sure what you are advocating. The ISSC? I see you are a military vet. Did you guys train on the Rugers? Why do you recommend the 22 you like?

Kbowers9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Salem
    I love Glock pistols and theres no denying that, but Ruger Mark pistols are amazing. You can enjoy a long day of shooting your .22 Ruger at a relatively low cost. They're just great guns to own and shoot.

Top Bottom