• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I shot my new OD Glock 23 for the first time today after purchasing it on Monday.

We ran my 23, my brothers 17 and his PT1911.

In .40 we used 165 Grain WWB and 180 grain Federal American Eagle. In 9 it was all 115 gr WWB, .45 was mixed 230gr Wolf and Remington UMC.

It's my first .40 cal handgun, aside from shooting a Baby Eagle .40 so long ago I don't even remember it. I can see why people think .40 is snappy compare to .45 or 9, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, just a small adjustment.

As far as accuracy, 7yd shots were grouped well, but about 1 - 2 inches low and right, I assume I'm doing something wrong. 14 yards I couldn't hit a 3 inch resetting target reliably. I could shoot center and hit the plate reliably with my brothers 1911....I was forced by coercion to admit this publicly.

I saw a big difference in the recoil and my own accuracy with the 180 grain over the 165.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Great report. And good shooting. Maybe you are anticipating the recoil and bringing it down a little. I'd bet you'll get used to it pretty quickly and put it where you want.

I have a 23 OD that I haven't fired yet. This gives me inspiration. Thanks.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    That was my guess. :D

Did you have the same problem with the G17? The 9mm is a lot less recoil than the 40. Plus it is a full sized pistol versus a compact model. Some find that the low, to the weak side grouping isn't as bad with a 9mm - less recoil to anticipate is my guess.

Without actually being there it's hard to give 100% accurate feedback. The majority of the time if you're right handed and shooting low left, or left handed and shooting low right, you'll be anticipating recoil and "jerking" the pistol to try and "compensate" for the recoil.

The "traditional" way to check for this is to have a friend load the magazine with some dummy rounds mixed with live rounds at the range. Then he can watch the pistol. When you get to a dummy round it will chamber the same as a live round, just not fire. When you pull the trigger he will see the muzzle dip (or you'll notice it yourself) in anticipation of the recoil. If that's happening, then you have a pretty good idea of what the cause is.

Glocks are more prone to bring out sub optimal shooting techniques, 1911s are possibly one of the more forgiving pistols to shoot.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

Last edited:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    /snip

Glocks are more prone to bring out sub optimal shooting techniques, 1911s are possibly one of the more forgiving pistols to shoot.

I gotta agree with the 1911s being forgiving to shoot, at least full size 5" barreled ones. The last time I went to the range I shot my friend's 9mm XDm and his S&W 1911 and was WAY better with the 1911 even though I've shot a handful of various pistols in the past. Probably the size and weight. Huge difference in the level of recoil; the 9 had just a bit of recoil but was kind of snappy while the 1911 had a healthy bit of recoil that was very smooth...if that makes any sense?

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    You may be 100% correct. I'm certain you are more expert than I. But I wonder if it could have more to do with being 40, not 45. For me, my 40s are less forgiving than my 45s, and all are Glocks.

I have an extended ported barrel for my 21SF, and I'd put it up against a 1911. The Glock 22 with a similar barrel is a nice 40, too.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    You may be 100% correct. I'm certain you are more expert than I. But I wonder if it could have more to do with being 40, not 45. For me, my 40s are less forgiving than my 45s, and all are Glocks.

I have an extended ported barrel for my 21SF, and I'd put it up against a 1911. The Glock 22 with a similar barrel is a nice 40, too.

I would venture to say with a competent shooter, other than by the sizes of the holes, you wouldn't be able to tell the targets apart. That's assuming the given shooters are both equally proficient in their respective weapons.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Randy, I agree with you.

The 40 seems to have a sharper recoil than the 45 even when both are shot from the same type of pistol (e.g. Glock). I would think that having a softer recoil will lead to less anticipation, which will lead to less flinching, heeling, jerking, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In his specific case, couple that with the 45 being shot out of a 1911 (more overall weight, heavier slide), and that will help to soften the subjective recoil even more. A softer recoil will likely lead to less anticipation, which will lead to less flinching, heeling, jerking, etc.

This added to the lighter trigger pull, shorter distance for the trigger to travel, the trigger not having the pivot at the top, but having the entire trigger move to the rear, all also help make it more forgiving.

Some find that the low, to the weak side grouping isn't as bad with a 9mm - less recoil to anticipate is my guess.

Last edited:

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I was shooting the same with the 9 as the 40.

I'll have to try out the suggestion of having a buddy load empties next time without me knowing which ones are which. Might give me a good idea of whats going on.

If it is still happening though I'll shoot some video and post it up for critiques.

Top Bottom