• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Why did you replace the Extractor and Ejector? The conversion barrel should be offset just enough to compensate.

Oh and cool gun!

I'll be testing this setup for reliability. I intend to shoot it with both .40 and 9mm components to see if anything has any affect on performance. Glock won't comment or make recommendations concerning the conversion barrels but I figure there's a reason there are different components for the different calibers.

I'm also seriously considering buying a G34 slide and barrel from LW so I'll want the 9mm components in the gun for that as well.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Those blind marked barrels look so much better then the ones with the ugly wolf burned into the top.

Yes they do! I wouldn't want one with the logo, it looks too cartoonish. A proper wolf, however.......

2cp9pqd.jpg

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    Ran a little shy of 100rds through my StormLake conversion barrel with some cheap 115gr ammo, ran flawlessly. No hiccups whatsoever. Guys looking for conversion barrels keep an eye out on Dvor, picked mine up from there for pretty cheap.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The 15 rd M19 magazines and LW 9mm barrel I ordered to convert my Gen 1 M23 arrived today. The LW logo is much smaller and not visible when the barrel is installed. I haven't had an opportunity to test fire it but when operating the slide by hand it won't extract the last round. Is an extractor change necessary or does your experience indicate it will function properly when fired?
    TIA

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Recently just picked up a 9mm conversion barrel for my 23. Curious to the guys running conversion barrels what ammo have you had the best/worst luck with for range usage? The barrel is a StormLake standard length if that helps at all, I'll also be running magpul and ets mags with the conversion barrel.

I have a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel for my Gen 2 G-23...and it's accurate as heck! There was a time when the wife and I CC'd the same caliber + magazines (hence the 9mm conversion barrel) but 2 years ago I switched to .45 for my EDC caliber. We've since laid both Glocks aside (the Gen II G-19 and the Gen II G-23) but we both have come to appreciate 9mm as a competent carry round.

The nice thing about a 9mm conversion barrel is the 1/2mm larger (thicker) barrel...which'll let you ramp up a bit in 9mm if you so please. I preferred a 'hotter' 9mm bullet through mine so I carried some Federal +P+ (shot it rarely) but had something with a little more 'punch' as I grew up on .357 magnum (heck, I didn't even own a semi-auto pistol until 9/11) and preferred the +P+!

Storm Lake makes some quality stuff!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'll be testing this setup for reliability. I intend to shoot it with both .40 and 9mm components to see if anything has any affect on performance. Glock won't comment or make recommendations concerning the conversion barrels but I figure there's a reason there are different components for the different calibers. I'm also seriously considering buying a G34 slide and barrel from LW so I'll want the 9mm components in the gun for that as well.

Keep in mind...when they build a 9mm conversion barrel, it's off-set slightly to the right in order to accommodate the .40 extractor...it's built into the barrel during the drilling!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The 15 rd M19 magazines and LW 9mm barrel I ordered to convert my Gen 1 M23 arrived today. The LW logo is much smaller and not visible when the barrel is installed. I haven't had an opportunity to test fire it but when operating the slide by hand it won't extract the last round. Is an extractor change necessary or does your experience indicate it will function properly when fired?
    TIA

It should work fine. I never hand cycled mine, I just dropped it in and let it rip at the range. Feeds, fires and extracts without issue.
    By the way, you've probably got a Gen 2 Glock 23. (No finger grooves, no tactical rail) There is no such thing as a Gen 1 in that caliber.

Off topic, but I'd like to see the finger grooves gone (like on the G42 and G43) and the trigger guard undercut if Glock ever redesigns their pistols for a Gen 5 model. Kind of an upgraded Gen 2.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I think my Gen whatever M 23 must be cursed. Shot it today and had nearly 100% failures to extract. LW recommends running some +P or +P+ ammo through the gun. I have none (neither did Point Blank) so I loaded some max loads with 115 gr plated bullets. Also tried some Hornady Critical Duty 135s with the same results. Heading for USDS for a prayer session.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I think my Gen whatever M 23 must be cursed. Shot it today and had nearly 100% failures to extract. LW recommends running some +P or +P+ ammo through the gun. I have none (neither did Point Blank) so I loaded some max loads with 115 gr plated bullets. Also tried some Hornady Critical Duty 135s with the same results. Heading for USDS for a prayer session.

That is very odd. My gen3 23 w/ LW conversion barrel, 9mm glock mags, and all other original 23 parts shoots even bunnyfart loads of 4.0gr 231 and 124gr pills with no issues at all. Hope you get it figured out.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I noticed while running my StormLake with magpul mags, the slide has failed twice to lock back on the last round. Happened two times out of 5 mags or so at the range this week.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale

Let me know the next time you are going to head to Point Blank- Carmel, I'll bring my StormLake and see if you have the same issues running it in your gun. I know they are different makes and LW has a disclaimer on their website about running cheap 115gr for the 40-9 barrel, but I haven't had any of the problems you've stated with my SL. If you ran it and were to have the same issues or vice versa I'd definitely contact LW.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    That is very odd. My gen3 23 w/ LW conversion barrel, 9mm glock mags, and all other original 23 parts shoots even bunnyfart loads of 4.0gr 231 and 124gr pills with no issues at all. Hope you get it figured out.

It is figured out thanks to USDS. Seems the gun is a Gen 2 or 2.5 which may or may not mean anything. Regardless, it now has a new recoil spring/guide rod and a new extractor and ran perfectly when tested by the USDS hero. Minor downside for me is it's slightly harder to convert back to .40 as the extractor must be changed along with the barrel and recoil spring. All told........WOOHOO!

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    It should work fine. I never hand cycled mine, I just dropped it in and let it rip at the range. Feeds, fires and extracts without issue. By the way, you've probably got a Gen 2 Glock 23. (No finger grooves, no tactical rail) There is no such thing as a Gen 1 in that caliber.

Off topic, but I'd like to see the finger grooves gone (like on the G42 and G43) and the trigger guard undercut if Glock ever redesigns their pistols for a Gen 5 model. Kind of an upgraded Gen 2.

www.coldborecustoms.com ...Lane does awesome work...check out the pics of things he's done in the past!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Appreciate the offer jag09 but we live about 3 miles from the Greenwood Point Blank. We'll be going there shortly and I expect the gun will run well. There is an obvious difference between the two extractors I now have for the gun. The "hook" on the one installed by USDS is longer than the stock .40 extractor. Easy enough to change if I want to go back to .40 cal. I'll edit this to add today's results.

Edit: WOOHOO! The wife and I put about 75 rds through the gun with three different kinds of ammo. Berry plated 115s over 5.3 gr of Auto Comp, Win ball 115s, and Hornady Critical Duty 135 FlexLocks. We had zero malfunctions! I'm a happy boy. Thanks again USDS.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Done and done! Got back to the range with the converted G23. It was shooting a couple inches to the left at 7 yards so I drifted the rear sight a totally unscientific and unknown distance to the right. Went back to the range and took the tools necessary to make more adjustments but it is dead on. I'd rather be lucky than good. I always liked the gun at .40 but I REALLY like it as a 9mm.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I loved running the 40-9 conversion barrel at the range, its such a blast to shoot! I'll still carry it as a .40 until my complete 19 slide and barrel comes in. Now it has just become a mini money pit as the 19 slide will probably get custom work done and ect, might soon be my edc or dedicated range toy

Top Bottom