Glock 26: can this become a serious problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Glock 26: can this become a serious problem?

I just bought a used G26. It is an old 2.5 generation that seemed to be in perfect condition.

I noticed that sometimes it is difficult to field strip this gun, as the slide does not come forward. I am no new to Glocks, and know well how to take it down - magazine out, trigger pulled, slide block pushed down. At this point the slide comes forward just a bit, enough to clear the slide block, but does not want to easily come forward any more. I have to use force to make it move forward.

Upon detailed inspection I noticed some marks/wear in the frame, right where the recoil spring meets the barrel. It seems that after some “action” (like racking the slide a few times) the edge of the recoil spring assembly does not stay fully seated in the barrel groove, but moves out of it and starts rubbing the frame, which causes the wear/rough spot which in turn does not allow the slide to move freely.

I have tried the frame with a different recoil spring, a different barrel, a different slide (and all possible combination of these parts) with the same results – recoil spring seems to move out of position and rub the frame.

You can see the pics below. Last two were taken to “simulate” what I believe the problem is: “in position” and “out of position”

I am not sure if this could become a major problem.
    Any suggestions what to do to fix it?

Thanks for your help.

G26prob1.jpg

G26prob2.jpg

G26prob3.jpg

G26prob4.jpg

G26prob5a.jpg

G26prob6a.jpg

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    That doesn't look good.

I'm sure one of our resident Glock experts will speak up soon with a good answer.

My Gen 3 G26 has a couple thousands rounds through it and it doesn't have any wear similar to this. I even had a recoil spring break several hundred rounds ago.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I have a G26 2.5 and it shows no wear after several thousands. Send it in and have Glock look at. Whatever you do, Glocks are still the best.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    This is not an answer to your question, but I had a G26 that did a similar binding on take down. It did not exhibit the marks that you are showing.

Rather than forcing the slide off I would just tap the gun. I don't remember the direction, but it was the guide rod slipping out of perfect alignment when the take down was depressed. Just a light tap of the gun would shift it back into alignment and all was well.

Your looks like a similar deal; maybe the wear marks are just from the slide being forced off while the guide rod is down
    :dunno:

Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    .......Rather than forcing the slide off I would just tap the gun. I don't remember the direction, but it was the guide rod slipping out of perfect alignment when the take down was depressed. Just a light tap of the gun would shift it back into alignment and all was well.

Your looks like a similar deal; maybe the wear marks are just from the slide being forced off while the guide rod is down
    :dunno:

Well, yes, that is what I am doing, tapping the gun, a strong tap.
    What I do not know is if the wear is just from the slide being forced off or if it is also from the rod rubbing the frame while shooting.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Well, yes, that is what I am doing, tapping the gun, a strong tap.
    What I do not know is if the wear is just from the slide being forced off or if it is also from the rod rubbing the frame while shooting.

Are you pulling the slide back the short bit it needs before depressing the take down levers and pulling off? Not trying to be goofy but just making sure you know! First time I tried to take Glock apart years ago it did not happen. :):

Whoops, just re-read your post and looks like you are so poo. :dunno:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    I remember some post a while back where the dual recoil spring was binding in the G26.

Dual springs in general need grease so they don't fight each other (or some form of lubrication)

This could be a product of complications of the dual recoil spring setup.

Send it to Glock.

G26 is a ultimate sub compact.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I remember some post a while back where the dual recoil spring was binding in the G26.

Dual springs in general need grease so they don't fight each other (or some form of lubrication)

This could be a product of complications of the dual recoil spring setup.

Send it to Glock.

G26 is a ultimate sub compact.

:yesway:

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    I have one....about 500 rounds only. This doesn't look good. Send it back. Glock will either fix it or replace it. If it matters, I like to shoot mine with the 33 round magazine. No problems. Mine shows no wear.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would be happy to take a look at it for you.. I see your post count is low so I don't think you can PM but you can contact me at gloktr@gmail.com to make arrangements.. I could meet you at ITP sometime if we can mesh our schedules.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I would be happy to take a look at it for you.. I see your post count is low so I don't think you can PM but you can contact me at gloktr@gmail.com to make arrangements.. I could meet you at ITP sometime if we can mesh our schedules.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Thanks for the offer NHT3, but I am not in the US - I am in South America.

Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I'm not a glock guy but I thought the gen 4 were the first with the dual springs on the guide rods... What am I missing here?

Those were the full and compact sizes. The subcompact models 26, 27, 28 and 33, no matter what generation, have and allways have had dual springs. I am not sure about the other subcompact models.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Those were the full and compact sizes. The subcompact models 26, 27, 28 and 33, no matter what generation, have and allways have had dual springs. I am not sure about the other subcompact models.

Ahh OK, That makes sense. The wife has a G26 so everytime I see a post about one I check it out, I want to make sure her's is all set with no issues.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    just follow the advice of many of this forum ... it's already "perfection" so it can't possibly have anything wrong with it.

JCDPA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Certainly looks bad and potentially dangerous. Be prepared for a long wait if you sen it to GLock. Lead time on repairs is more than a month long.

Top Bottom