• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdgatliff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I bought my Glock 27 new about a month ago. So far I've put about 500 rounds through it without a problem. That is until last night I don't store it chambered in the house. We heard some commotion outside so I grabbed it and went to chamber a bullet, and the slide would not go far enough back to chamber a bullet. I tried several times and it would stop half way back. Then I removed the slide and inspected everything and it looked fine so I put it back together and has worked fine since then. I have tried and tried to duplicate the problem by turning the gun all directions and smacking the sides and top. It wont do it again so it has me really concerned and stumped. I was using the factory mag with Federal hollow points.

I bought this gun for my carry gun (2 months into LTCH wait:xmad:) and now I am really reconsidering this gun. Hopefully someone on here can shed some light on this mystery. I'm also calling Glock in the morning to see if they can help.

As far as the commotion from last night, there was someone or something outside. The dogs were chasing them into the woods by the time I got out there.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    My best guess is that there was an extra bullet stuffed into the magazine & it wasn't allowing the slide to push the bullets down in the magazine enough for the slide to go all of the way to the rear in order to chamber the first round.

I would suggest emptying the magazine & counting the number of bullets to see if that might have been the cause.

Anyway welcome to the INGO forums Jdgatliff.

jdgatliff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    The mag has the pierce grip extension +1 so 10 bullets that's all that's in the mag. But I just played around and it is tougher to slide when it's full. Possibly the grip extension doesn't give enough room for 10 bullets. I'll run with the standard 9 now because that seems to be the best explanation since the gun looks perfectly fine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The mag has the pierce grip extension +1 so 10 bullets that's all that's in the mag. But I just played around and it is tougher to slide when it's full. Possibly the grip extension doesn't give enough room for 10 bullets. I'll run with the standard 9 now because that seems to be the best explanation since the gun looks perfectly fine.

If its a new gun, could be that the mag springs have not been compressed enough to handle a full mag and allow the slide to be easily racked. I'd carry it one short as you are stating or with one in the chamber. You might also try it without the grip extension and see if the issue persists. If its the spring, eventually the compression from carrying the mag with ammo in it should help.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    If its a new gun, could be that the mag springs have not been compressed enough to handle a full mag and allow the slide to be easily racked. I'd carry it one short as you are stating or with one in the chamber. You might also try it without the grip extension and see if the issue persists. If its the spring, eventually the compression from carrying the mag with ammo in it should help.

I agree. My G23 mags were really tight at first but after storing them fully loaded for a little while they broke in pretty easily. For a while, I used them with one less than their full capacity. Hope that works out for you

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My G27 has the Pearce +2 but I can only actually fit +1 because of how tight it is. I need to get those springs broken in .

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    I agree it sounds like it could be the mag spring. I had to break in mine before I could use all 13 in the mag. I filled my mags with 12 for a week and left them in the safe. Then 13 the next week and loaded in the gun at night for a week after that to get the extra compression. No problems since.

jdgatliff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    How hard were you racking the slide?

Gotta do it like you mean it.

After running this through my head all day I think it's partly operator error :): I was holding a flashlight in the same hand I was using to rack the slide. I think what happened is using my weak left arm while holding a flashlight and trying to chamber a bullet, and with the tightness of 10 rounds some how caused the top bullet to slide forward and jamb between the slide and mag. I noticed while the slide is off once you slide a bullet forward maybe a 1/4 inch the little pin sticking out will not allow it to slide fully back into magazine.

After first trying to chamber it with my flashlight in hand I pocketed my light and still couldn't chamber it. Then I dropped the mag and didn't think to try and slide it before I took the slide off.

I think I can sleep securely with this theory. While I still can't duplicate it, it makes the most sense and only time will tell if it's right or not.

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I will second the mag spring theory as my new glock +2 mags for the g 26 are hard to fully load until they have had some use.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    After running this through my head all day I think it's partly operator error :): I was holding a flashlight in the same hand I was using to rack the slide. I think what happened is using my weak left arm while holding a flashlight and trying to chamber a bullet, and with the tightness of 10 rounds some how caused the top bullet to slide forward and jamb between the slide and mag. I noticed while the slide is off once you slide a bullet forward maybe a 1/4 inch the little pin sticking out will not allow it to slide fully back into magazine.

After first trying to chamber it with my flashlight in hand I pocketed my light and still couldn't chamber it. Then I dropped the mag and didn't think to try and slide it before I took the slide off.

I think I can sleep securely with this theory. While I still can't duplicate it, it makes the most sense and only time will tell if it's right or not.

Keep and eye on it, and next time you want to chase somebody outside I would grab a rifle, not a sub compact handgun! :)

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    How hard were you racking the slide?

Gotta do it like you mean it.

This is good advice.

This story is also evidence of why there is good reason to have the gun ready with a round chambered instead of waiting until you need it. What if the person had made it to your bedroom before you woke up?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    RichardR was right on, a +2 bottom only ads (1) in a .40 mag. your full mag couldn't compress the top mag for the slide to go over it. Bet it does not happen with the standard mag, and shouldn't have happened with the extra round in the mag.
    Try it, use a 13 or 15 rd mag should work with a standard load too.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    RichardR was right on, a +2 bottom only ads (1) in a .40 mag. your full mag couldn't compress the top mag for the slide to go over it. Bet it does not happen with the standard mag, and shouldn't have happened with the extra round in the mag.
    Try it, use a 13 or 15 rd mag should work with a standard load too.

Precisely right.
    The +1 Pearce mag. extensions don't add any in the G27 but it is possible to stuff one more into the G26. The +2 mag. extensions are only +1 in the G27.

If you do manage to stuff the extra round into the magazine, it expands the magazine, which, in turn expands the frame of the gun, which causes it to be hard or impossible to run the slide.

The Pearce mag. extensions have the real purpose of adding a place for the little finger. Extra capacity, if any, is a bonus.

Top Bottom