Glock Blue Label audit involves Glock seeing 4473s?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Anyone else getting traffic about this? When I bought mine on the program several years ago, I had to show ID to the shop and fill out a form for Glock. Nothing on the 4473 would identify a purchaser as qualified for the program.

LINK

Trop Response to Glock Blue Label Program Termination

Trop Gun Shop regrets to inform our customers that we will no longer be participating in the Glock Blue Label program. Effective immediately, Glock terminated us from the program for refusing to furnish access to our customers’ private information for the purposes of auditing by Glock employees. While it is regrettable that we will no longer be able to offer the benefits of the Blue Label program here at Trop, we absolutely refuse to compromise the sensitive information of our customers by furnishing it to anyone without proper authority through standard legal practices.
    To participate in the Glock Blue Label program a dealer must allow Glock access to audit “qualifying credentials” of its Blue Label customers. Typically these credentials are a form of identification verifying the individual is a member of one of the groups listed in the Blue Label program.
    Recently a representative of Glock entered our establishment and demanded access to view our records related to all Blue Label sales, specifically our ATF Form 4473s, which contain very detailed, personal and identifying information of our customers. We refused the Glock representative access to this information.
    During repeated correspondence Glock continued to demand access to the 4473s or we would be terminated from the Blue Label program. We attempted to reconcile the situation while maintaining our customers’ privacy and made every effort to comply with reasonable requests to audit the Blue Label sales to maintain the integrity of the program. However, Glock insisted that access to the 4473s and only access to the 4473s would be a sufficient level of compliance.
    Our position was, and continues to be, that we will not surrender to Glock our Form 4473s and our customers’ identifying information under any circumstance. It is an untenable breach of our customers’ privacy and Trop Gun Shop will not submit to this unreasonable demand. As a result of our position, Glock immediately terminated our status as an authorized participant of the Blue Label program. Furthermore, Glock advised us that if we ever applied in the future, that request would be denied. While we are displeased that we can no longer support our qualifying customers through the Blue Label program, Trop Gun Shop remains committed to the security and privacy of all of our customers, and continues to offer its Law Enforcement / Military discount to those who qualify.
    Regards,
    Trop Gun Shop

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I believe under FOIA only ATF can look at 4473's.... In most cases.
    And I can't imagine that Glock has that privilege.

These forms are given the same status as a tax return under the Privacy Act of 1974 and cannot be disclosed by the government to private parties or other government officials except in accordance with the Privacy Act. Individual dealers possessing a copy of the form are not subject to the Privacy Act's restrictions on disclosure. Dealers are required to maintain completed forms for 20 years in the case of completed sales, and for 5 years where the sale was disapproved as a result of the NICS check

More to come,

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... Nothing on the 4473 would identify a purchaser as qualified for the program.

But the 4473 would show that a given pistol with a specific serial number went to you, which could be checked against the Glock form to see if name and serial match.

I don't know anything about TROP, never heard of them until now. However, if I were of a suspicious mind and thought that some store was coloring outside the Blue Label lines by generating some bogus Glock forms, I might like to compare the numbers on the forms to 4473s and see if that individual really got the gun. It would be one thing to lie to Glock on a form; lies on a 4473 come with a much bigger penalty than just program termination.

I bought a Glock through this program, and I recall a separate form documenting my discount, but I don't believe my ID was copied, since it is military (retired).

I have no idea what Federal law says an FFL can do with the data on a 4473 -- that might be a new can of worms.

Last edited:

sonny27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Carmel
    But the 4473 would show that a given pistol with a specific serial number went to a you, which could be checked against the Glock form to see if name and serial match.

I don't know anything about TROP, never heard of them until now. However, if I were of a suspicious mind and thought that some store was coloring outside the Blue Label lines by generating some bogus Glock forms, I might like to compare the numbers on the forms to 4473s and see if that individual really got the gun. It would be one thing to lie to Glock on a form; lies on a 4473 come with a much bigger penalty than just program termination.

I bought a Glock through this program, and I recall a separate form documenting my discount, but I don't believe my ID was copied, since it is military (retired).

I have no idea what Federal law says an FFL can do with the data on a 4473 -- that might be a new can of worms.

I just got off the phone with a Glock rep. He stated, Glock was informed that Trop guns may have purchased some Glocks from a distributor at blue label pricing and turned around and sold them to customers at their standard price. He said, this is the second time in five years that this has happened since he's been with Glock. Both time were for the same reason, possible improper use of blue label pricing.
    He stated, they look at the 4473 because it's against the law to falsifying that document. There is a separate form documenting the discount that gets attached to the 4473. He stated, they don't document or take pictures of the 4473, they just do a quick visual and make sure the name on the 4473 matches the name on the form showing the discount.

Last edited:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I just got off the phone with a Glock rep. He stated, Glock was informed that Tropguns may have purchased some Glocks from a distributor at blue label pricing and turned around and sold them to customers at their standard prices. He said, this is the second time in five years that this has happened since he's been with Glock. Both times for the same reason, improper use of blue label pricing.
    They look at the 4473 because there are laws against lying when filling out this form as everyone knows. There is a separate form documenting the discount that gets attached to the 4473 too. It's the only way they can be 100% certain that the program is being followed properly. He told me they don't document or take pictures of the 4473's,it's just a quick visual.

Sonny27, your text was some kind of funky color scheme in both of my browsers and was unreadable. Quoting here so we can see. :)

I just got off the phone with a Glock rep. He stated, Glock was informed that Tropguns may have purchased some Glocks from a distributor at blue label pricing and turned around and sold them to customers at their standard prices. He said, this is the second time in five years that this has happened since he's been with Glock. Both times for the same reason, improper use of blue label pricing.
    They look at the 4473 because there are laws against lying when filling out this form as everyone knows. There is a separate form documenting the discount that gets attached to the 4473 too. It's the only way they can be 100% certain that the program is being followed properly. He told me they don't document or take pictures of the 4473's,it's just a quick visual.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville

Why put that in white? It's good info.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Sonny27, your text was some kind of funky color scheme in both of my browsers and was unreadable. Quoting here so we can see. :)

Most likely Trop were selling blue label pistols to non first responders and with doing that they would be selling pistols that have had no federal excise tax paid on them ( that's where most of the discount comes from ) it called The Pittman–Robertson Act took over a pre-existing 11% excise tax on firearms and ammunition. And that's a problem.
    I still believe that in no way Glock has been looking at anyones 4473.. That is protected under FOIA.. They most certainly can look at the Glock paperwork turned in for purchasing.a blue label but that's about it.

Top Bottom