• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I'm looking for feedback from anyone that owns either version from the subject line. I am in the market for a 9mm Glock, and am specifically wondering if those that have the Gen 4 think it's that much of an improvement over the Gen 3?

Gen 3 grips are just a little large for my taste. I can do it, but I think I like the smaller Gen 4 better.

Gen 4 mag release seems a little easier to navigate to me.

Other than those 2 items, I'm not sure there is much else that would concern me between the two generations. What is your experience?

dobeluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    The wife just got hers. She had the ability to shoot a gen 2 17 and 19. She didn't notice much difference in the recoil. When she went to buy hers she got to compare the gen 3 and gen 4 19 side by side. She liked the finger grooves over the older generations. She also preferred the texture of the gen 4 over the gen 3. Once she figured out I meant in (instead of down) she liked the mag release better too.. I asked her how it shot (she put 150 rounds thru it Sat) and she said she definitely like it better than the gen 2's she shot last weekend. (of course, could be because the gen 4 is now hers)

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Nothing against the 4th Gen, but I really do not care for the grip texture (I know, its all personal preference). :dunno:
    That said, they both perform well for me. Toss-Up!

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I have a Glock 19 gen 3 and I have shot a gen 4 Glock 34. IMO I like the 3rd gen Glocks a little better. The slightly smaller grip and new texture really doesn't matter that much to me. Besides, some of the gen 4s have been having issues. Personally, I would stick with the more proven gen 3 design rather than the gen 4.

Rip007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I have both, my wife and I like the gen 4 better. Its all personal preference, both are excellence choices.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The grip and texture are miniscule problems compared to other concerns, IMO. Most the the Gen 4 "fixes" were solutions to customer demands rather than REAL issues and weren't thoroughly tested prior. A Glock is a Glock, but I've seen FAR more issues with Glocks as of late than ever used to and I always pay attention to it when it happens. It's nearly always Gen 4s. I won't personally buy a Gen 4. Since they're still producing 3s I'll wait until a 5 and hope it's better than 4.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    IMO Gen 3 is where its at. That's what my Glock's are and I have had nothing but good results. I have had Gen 4's and have had no problems either. I would say pick whichever one feels better to you honestly.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Just got my recertification for another 3 years for Glock armorer today. My suggestion would be Gen 3.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]
    [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Gunsite graduate[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive] [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]1911 Mechanic
    [/FONT]

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    As an armorer then why would you suggest the 3? What will your recommendation be when the new gen 3s dry up and can not be purchased new?

Just got my recertification for another 3 years for Glock armorer today. My suggestion would be Gen 3.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]
    [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Gunsite graduate[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive] [/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS, cursive]1911 Mechanic
    [/FONT]

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I had a Gen 1 19 some years ago. I now have a Gen 3. I like the Gen 3 better; like the finger grooves. The texture is also better than the 1.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Gen4 Glock

Grip texture = bad

Magazine release = malignant "growth"

And I am totally opposite as I love the grip texture of the Gen4. It gives me a great grip on the pistol as I'm shooting it, and the mag release is actually big enough to hit with my thumb.

What I don't like about the Gen4 or current Gen3's is their propensity to eject brass at the shooters head.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom