• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Hey guys I have a G 17 and have seen where some guys have cut the grip length to the size of the 19. This is for better concealment. I love my 17 but the butt of the gun protrudes a bit too much for me for EDC.

I know you will lose round count this way in the primary mag, but a backup 17 will still function.

Anyone have any experience with this or is it better to just save up for another?

This gun has been 100% reliable and if not for the size it would be good to go.

Not looking for Glock bashing and other choices. Just looking for feedback from anyone who has tried this and any suggestions.

Maybe a good crossbreed holster would change my mind? I dunno. Any opinions out there on that?

I know, I know a lot of questions here...

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've been kicking around the idea of cutting down a G19 to a G26 size so I keep the rails.

This sounds like a good excuse to buy a G19. ;)

Depending on your build and how you like to carry, a 17 may not be that workable for you. A new holster is a less expensive and less permanent way to try and find a fix.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have no experience with cutting down a grip like that, but I do think I've heard of it being done.

I just wanted to comment to the guy above me that with a good setup, anybody can CC just about anything. A good belt, a good holster, and appropriately fitting clothes will take you a long way.

To the OP, I say go for it - once you have some guidance on it, of course. Good luck!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I had this done before and it turned out very nice.

GlockRefinish5.jpg

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    "...may not be that workable..."

"...can CC just about anything..."

(bold added)

Sounds like we're saying pretty much the same thing. Or did I misunderstand?

:dunno:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    "...may not be that workable..."

"...can CC just about anything..."

(bold added)

Sounds like we're saying pretty much the same thing. Or did I misunderstand?

:dunno:

Well, when you put it like that, I suppose we are!

Though I think your intent was to put the OP into the "that is probably more than you can CC" camp while I meant to put him in the "yeah, you can CC that" camp. Ah, well.

atm-inc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    No, that's why I also wrote "A new holster is a less expensive and less permanent way to try and find a fix." ;) :):

It sounds like for the most part there's at least one person supporting each of toyotaslave's ideas on finding a fix. :cheers: Sounds like they're all possible options.

Hopefully he finds a solution that works for him.

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I have done it. Well almost, I chopped my 22 to take the 23 mags.
    Here is my write up:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/116822-how_to_chop_your_glock.html#post1418754

I found it to be REALLY easy. I only used a hack saw, some sand paper, and a heated up exacto to make the bevel. The only thing I would suggest, is that you borrow someone's 23 or 19 so that you can mark where on the frame you want to cut. If you can't do that, only cut off a little at a time cause you can't put it back on.

I say go for it!

Here is mine:
    5129203836_89f7abfdff.jpg

Feel free to PM me with any questions

Last edited:

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Thanks for the link Jtgarner. This is exactly what I was looking for. The only addition I may look into is filling the backstrap area void with some polymer and doing a workup somewhat like a bobtail on it. Just a thought.:D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for the link Jtgarner. This is exactly what I was looking for. The only addition I may look into is filling the backstrap area void with some polymer and doing a workup somewhat like a bobtail on it. Just a thought.:D

Maybe you can find a way to glue one of the glock "butt plug" if that still fits after you remove some of the stock.

Glock_Buttplug.jpg

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I'm all for cutting the frame to fit 19 mags and if you mess up cut it down to fit 26 mags and if you mess it up, buy a new frame. I did the opposite with my Sig P250, my subcompact has a full size frame. That is what I like about the P250, as long as you don't damage the trigger group, you can't mess up the gun and you can have it in any configuration you want.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I think it actually looks pretty good. I am planning on getting a 35 some day and then I will be able to switch the frames back and forth depending on what I want each day.

Combine that with some 9mm conversion barrels and I will have 4 guns (8 someday when I have two 23s with one of them chopped :D )

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    My g17 is shaved to g26

mine is shaved to a g26 and with the pinky ext. I can't even tell you how much I love it. It is the perfect fit with a nice long barrel.:twocents:

Top Bottom