• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    how exactly will differant weight recoil springs affect how my glock shoots.

what happens if i put a softer spring in?
    what happens if i put a stiffer spring in?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Unless you have a compelling reason to change the recoil spring assembly (RSA), such as shooting extemely light loads in competition, that would cause the gun not to run, as a Glock Armorer, I strongly suggest you not mess around with after-market RSAs.

You can do a quick test to see if the exising RSA is up to snuff:
    First of all, be absolutely sure the gun is unloaded--magazine out, slide back, nothing in the chamber, nothing in the mag well. Let the slide go to battery, then dry fire it and hold the trigger back; do not release it!

Now, point the gun straight up--with the trigger still fully depressed--and draw the slide back, then slowly let it come forward. If it does not go all the way into battery by itself, then the RSA needs to be replaced with a factory Glock RSA.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    Unless you have a compelling reason to change the recoil spring assembly (RSA), such as shooting extemely light loads in competition, that would cause the gun not to run, as a Glock Armorer, I strongly suggest you not mess around with after-market RSAs.

You can do a quick test to see if the exising RSA is up to snuff:
    First of all, be absolutely sure the gun is unloaded--magazine out, slide back, nothing in the chamber, nothing in the mag well. Let the slide go to battery, then dry fire it and hold the trigger back; do not release it!

Now, point the gun straight up--with the trigger still fully depressed--and draw the slide back, then slowly let it come forward. If it does not go all the way into battery by itself, then the RSA needs to be replaced with a factory Glock RSA.

i have heard that before but i would like to put a metal guid rod in just for personal reasons. and i think the stock spring is 17 lbs. i was just wondering what affects the differant weight springs would have. one tech told me that if i put the 20lb spring in it would reduce recoil and put me back on target faster.

i reload but i am not looking to load powder puff loads, i load them kinda hot (not to danger levels, just hot). just looking for a better shooting accuracy and what not.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Improving the trigger will help accuracy on ANY pistol but I've messed with the recoil springs you are talking about and didn't see any difference. Possibly a tungsten assembly would make a difference because it's heavier but I've never tried that so I can't pass judgement on it. I've always used the stock springs, they're inexpensive and they work. :)

Just my .02

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I have a 17 for a range gun. Put a stainless guide rod and 17lb spring back in. Maybe they help, but I sure couldn't feel a difference. Even swapped it out at the range to get back to back tests. Nothing. Trigger work was well worth it, though.

Different spring rates will cause issues with ejection, too. The 17 lb. is a good multi purpose rate. If it works, don't tweak it much, if any.

Top Bottom