• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    So I had a conversation with a Firearms instructor today, and we talked about what we carry, I CC my glock 30 with a TLR2S most of the time. He said that you have to be careful with this, because glocks flex when you fire them, and only certain lights are designed to flex with it. Others will crack it? I always keep my light on when I go to the range. Never had an issue. Anyone else hear of this? Or is he just feeding me BS?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Some GLOCK 22's have problems with mounted lights and recoil returning to battery.

Never heard the "cracking" the frame story before.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Some GLOCK 22's have problems with mounted lights and recoil returning to battery.

Never heard the "cracking" the frame story before.

Yep. Sounds like the instructor was regurgitating some BS he likely heard from a Glock rep. That was their textbook answer when their pistols would have reliability issues with a TLR or Surefire light mounted.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Interesting.
    First I've heard of that (light cracking the frame)
    Been carrying one everyday for 12+ years, 9 with an M3 light. Am a Glock armorer and used in many thousands of rounds and hundreds of hours with other like minded individuals, I've never heard of this (much less seen it) until your post.
    I'd have to say I'm skeptical of that story.
    I have seen some Glocks be totally reliable without a light, add it and they become questionable at best.
    But never heard of the frame cracking.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Ive not seen a lot of other Glocks with lights, but mine has been wearing either a Surefire X200 or currently an X300 for the last 6 years and has had ZERO issues.

I know some report having issues with the gun returning to battery, but Ive never personally seen it.
    I have seen people try to explain away issues they know nothing about by blaming some other piece though...and Id bet thats whats happening here.

My question to him would be, how do they flex, when the slide cant flex, and its on rails in the frame...so if the frame flexed that much, the slide would pop off the frame or cause major drag on the frame, either vertically or horizontally, causing issues with reliability.
    Id just ask for clarification....

Now Im sure they do flex somewhat, even the barrel will flex the tiniest bit, but for a light to crack, we arent talking about 10/000ths of an inch...its got to be a LOT more than that....

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Does he mean like a light that says Glock on it? Mine does though I don't honestly think my 17 can read. ;)

IMG_3696.jpg

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    He said that you have to be careful with this, because glocks flex when you fire them, and only certain lights are designed to flex with it. Others will crack it.

The first part is true. Glock frames are designed to flex a certasin way when fired. As stated above, some Glock 22s have issues with lights mounted on them. A fix to that is to use an eleven coil magazine spring. I've seen a couple of them become problematic with the TLR-1 mounted. The fix for us was to loosen the light slightly (the officers had them cranked down extremely tight).

The part about them cracking is BS.

Top Bottom