• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If the case has been resized to remove the bulge, it should be safe to fire in about anything as long as the load itself isn't something crazy.

In Schuemann-barreled 2011 (40 S&W), I can only shoot (1) new brass, (2) fired brass from my gun, or (3) brass that has been roll-sized or profiled. Since I've been reloading, I buy all of my resized brass from either Scharch, Precision Delta, or a Kenny Marx in southern Indiana.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I am wary of glocked brass.

If I know it was once fired, I'm interested. Range pickups, not so much, until I inspect each piece.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some if not most of the Glock kabooms are caused by repeated stretching and resizing of the case near the head by the unsupported Glock .40S&W chambers.

Some people pass off glock Kabooms as "double charge" incidents. I'm not so sure.

It is conventional wisdom that "pistol brass will always split at the neck" when it is worn out. And so people just shoot it until the neck splits and don't bother really inspecting the condition of the brass the way they do for rifle loads. They don't worry about "incipient case head separation" because "that's just for rifle cases".

That conventional wisdom holds up pretty well.

Unless your talking about reloading for Glocks.

And so people some people go on their merry way and keep reloading for unsupported Glocks where the area near the case head gets stretched and worked much more that the case mouth, and then all the convetional wisdom goes right out the window.

I reload. I will always reload. I also chose the .40S&W. So beside the the grip angle, the unsupported chamber is the other reason I don't own a Glock (or a bunch of other guns with similar chambers).

ETA: When I inspect the brass I'm looking for signs that it has been previously resized. If it has, I toss it. So to answer the OP, yes I will pick up and shoot once fired "glock" brass in my supported XD chamber.

Last edited:

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    I am wary of glocked brass.

If I know it was once fired, I'm interested. Range pickups, not so much, until I inspect each piece.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some if not most of the Glock kabooms are caused by repeated stretching and resizing of the case near the head by the unsupported Glock .40S&W chambers.

Some people pass off glock Kabooms as "double charge" incidents. I'm not so sure.

It is conventional wisdom that "pistol brass will always split at the neck" when it is worn out. And so people just shoot it until the neck splits and don't bother really inspecting the condition of the brass the way they do for rifle loads. They don't worry about "incipient case head separation" because "that's just for rifle cases".

That conventional wisdom holds up pretty well.

Unless your talking about reloading for Glocks.

And so people some people go on their merry way and keep reloading for unsupported Glocks where the area near the case head gets stretched and worked much more that the case mouth, and then all the convetional wisdom goes right out the window.

I reload. I will always reload. I also chose the .40S&W. So beside the the grip angle, the unsupported chamber is the other reason I don't own a Glock (or a bunch of other guns with similar chambers).

ETA: When I inspect the brass I'm looking for signs that it has been previously resized. If it has, I toss it. So to answer the OP, yes I will pick up and shoot once fired "glock" brass in my supported XD chamber.
    this brass comes from a person that sells once fired brass, it is cleaned deprimed and resized. The seller claims that it comes from a range that does not permit reloads. I have bought bullets from this person before and he has sent me samples of other bullets that he sells. He seems to be an honest guy, but it just goes against one of the rules of safe reloading, do not use brass of unknown origin, and as far as glocked brass goes, as popular as glocks are, there has got be some glocked brass in there. this brass will not be shot in a glock, it will be shot in a sig P239 I usually use new brass an keep track of how many times it has been fired, but I`am getting tired of looking for and picking up these little shells, and I always loose some, but I think everybody does.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I think you're GTG, but I prefer unprocessed brass myself... so I can inspect it before it's resized. I bought enough .40 brass from the factory range to last me a good while (mostly Starline headstamp) and most of it was OK. I tossed maybe 2-3% because the bulge was to big or I felt too much resistance going into the sizing die.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    this brass comes from a person that sells once fired brass, it is cleaned deprimed and resized. The seller claims that it comes from a range that does not permit reloads. I have bought bullets from this person before and he has sent me samples of other bullets that he sells. He seems to be an honest guy, but it just goes against one of the rules of safe reloading, do not use brass of unknown origin, and as far as glocked brass goes, as popular as glocks are, there has got be some glocked brass in there. this brass will not be shot in a glock, it will be shot in a sig P239 I usually use new brass an keep track of how many times it has been fired, but I`am getting tired of looking for and picking up these little shells, and I always loose some, but I think everybody does.

It's my normal policy to not shoot anyone else's reloads or use brass from an unknown origin. However, I'm probably a little overcautious and as long as you inspect each piece for problems and load them with some common sense loads you will be fine. I do, however, wonder about this range that doesn't allow reloads. Do ranges like this really exist?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive heard this before, but is Glock the only one who uses this semi-unsupported style chamber? what about M&P? XD? etc?

thanks,
    clay

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Glock is not the only one, but I don't know enough to sit here and type out a list. Some .45's as well.

XD and M&P are fully supported.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ive heard this before, but is Glock the only one who uses this semi-unsupported style chamber? what about M&P? XD? etc?

thanks,
    clay

No, and you also have to ask when the Glock was made since they have changed the design over the years. The earliest ones had the least amount of support.

It's not .40, but it's a good example of different manufacturers level of case support, check out my thread on an issue I was having with my new Colt Delta Elite:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/175965-1911_guys_riddle_me_this_brass_issue-2.html

Post 15 has a pic of case support of the Glock stock 10mm barrel, a LWD 10mm barrel for the Glock, and the CDE barrel.

Of course I had some folks telling me that this was abnormal and I'd blow myself up if I continued to shoot the gun with such an obviously unsafe barrel like that, etc etc. :rolleyes: Lots of people are happy to give an opinion but few people are capable of backing it up with empirical data.

Last edited:

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    It's my normal policy to not shoot anyone else's reloads or use brass from an unknown origin. However, I'm probably a little overcautious and as long as you inspect each piece for problems and load them with some common sense loads you will be fine. I do, however, wonder about this range that doesn't allow reloads. Do ranges like this really exist?
    Wyatts in Cicero was going to open an indoor range, don`t know if they ever have but that was one of their rules, no reloads, the membership was way to expensive.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I have not needed a bulge buster yet and buy only once fired brass from reliable sources. Some of the brass is glock fired brass. As i load them I can usually tell if there is too much bulge to fit either of my glocks. I have run into 2 cases out of 2500 so far that would not chamber in my glocks. The rest have all chambered and gone boom in the right direction. I might have tossed a dozen or so out of the whole batch before reloading. But with the price that once fired .40 brass can be had for it isn't worth it to me to size over bulged brass. I just toss it and go on.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    .40 S&W brass is pretty cheap. When seperate it from .45 brass, the really swelled "pregnant belly" looking pieces stick in the sifter, and I just throw them away. I believe they are from Generation 1 Glocks, as the brass from later models does not swell out very much or at all. For 3 cents a piece, it is just not worth worrying about.

Top Bottom