• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Hey y'all,

Tomorrow I'm going hiking, just for the day. Plan on going either to brown county state park or turkey run. I know I'm good to carry my EDC there, but am I legally allowed to keep my truck gun in my truck while hiking? Any insight would be appreciated :rockwoot:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    hmmm, you may want to check their web sites. You wouldn't want to run afowl (get it, a fowl) of DNR hunting regulations concerning long guns. I honestly don't have a clear idea of the regs, I just know they exist.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    You're good to go, although personally, I wouldn't want to leave it in my vehicle for fear of theft.

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Ya I was still tossing it up in the air, thinkin' of those smash and grabs. Figured legally I would be ok, but better safe then sorry. Thanks for the input.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Figured I'd revive an old thread rather than make a new one...

I'm going to Turkey Run tomorrow for the day, planned to carry, but saw this on the Turkey Run website:
    Any firearm, BB gun, air gun, CO2 gun, bow and arrow, or spear gun in possession in a state park must be unloaded or un-nocked and stored in a case or locked within a vehicle except when participating in an activity authorized by written permit.

Indiana's Turkey Run State Park - Rules

I'm pretty sure I'm good to go anyway, but thought I'd check.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    That is not the DNR website, it is a .com someone setup for the park. Look at the .gov site. It has similar wording but with the exclusion of LTCH holders. That verbiage sounds like the previous wording before the law passed to allow LTCH holders in the state parks.

"312 IAC 8-2-3 Firearms, hunting, and trapping

Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1; IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22-11-1; IC 35-47-2

Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following conditions apply:
    (1) The firearm or bow and arrows are:
    (A) unloaded and unnocked; and
    (B) placed in a case or locked within a vehicle.
    (2) The firearm or bow and arrows are possessed at, and of a type designated for usage on:
    (A) a rifle;
    (B) a pistol;
    (C) a shotgun; or
    (D) an archery;
    range.
    (3) The firearm or bow and arrows are being used in the lawful pursuit of either of the following:
    (A) A wild animal on a DNR property authorized for that purpose.
    (B) A groundhog as authorized under a license.
    (4) The person possesses a handgun on a DNR property other than a reservoir owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or Falls of the Ohio State Park:
    (A) with a valid unlimited license to carry a handgun:
    (i) issued under IC 35-47-2-3; or
    (ii) recognized under IC 35-47-2-21(b); or
    (B) pursuant to an exemption to handgun licensure requirements as authorized under IC 35-47-2-2.

Last edited:

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    That is not the DNR website, it is a .com someone setup for the park. Look at the .gov site. It has similar wording but with the exclusion of LTCH holders. That verbiage sounds like the previous wording before the law passed to allow LTCH holders in the state parks.

Ha! woops, didn't catch that it wasn't the actual website. Of course, now that I actually read the bottom of that rules page, it says it right on there.

Thanks!

white-eye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Boone county
    Don't hold me to this but I think parts of turkey run are still closed due to flood damage, anything on the north side of the suspention bridge. I would recondmend shades its just down the road from turkey run.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Don't hold me to this but I think parts of turkey run are still closed due to flood damage, anything on the north side of the suspention bridge. I would recondmend shades its just down the road from turkey run.

:( well that sucks

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I have been thinking about heading there too. My understanding is the flooding has receded but the bridge over Sugar Creek is damaged and closed. You CAN get to the trails on the north side of Sugar Creek, which are all the best trails; However you must walk the path on the south side of the creek eastbound to the old covered bridge that is the county road on the east end of the park. Then cross the bridge and hike back west along the creek to where the trails start need the suspension bridge that is closed. If I remember correctly, this is not a short hike.

I'm sure a quick phone call to the main office can tell you more than I can. I think it would be worth the phone call if you have the time to head out there.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    During the spring break for my son, we went to Turkey Run. The weather flipped out and they had 8in of snow. No hiking, we hung out during the night by the pool, and went Antique shopping the next day. Found a cool WW2 British Canteen w/ new webbing for $15.00 so added it for S&P. Sorry to hear about the Bridge, reminded me of "Bridge Over River Kwai" movie of the 60's. Good hiking.
    Note: I had my G19 IWB the entire time at TR. Kept my flannel shirt un tucked.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom