• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunday/go-to-trial-crash-the-justice-system.html?_r=1

I heard this opinion piece being discussed on a radio program this evening and thought I would share. It is an example of just how fragile a lot of the systems the state relies upon to generate revenue. Courts rely upon the hassle and burden to your work in order to extract money from you without a trial. It has become a balancing act of missing time at work, or just forking over some cash while ignoring your 6th.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    Given that the US has more prisoners incarcerated than any other country in the world, I have to believe that this strategy would work. The war on drugs is a farce and has resulted in people in prison for minor offenses. One might believe that the government was trying to control us...

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    At first this sounds like a good idea. Then we come to the realization that this is the government and they would start hiring more judges and building more jails.

Eliminate the drug war and there goes a lot of money and government power right out the window. They wont give it up willingly.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    A connection has to be made between the sixth amendment and that little box on the back of citations and infractions that state you plead guilty without a trial. What a marvelous money making scheme for those in the know. The authors of the Constitution, the government, are making out like bandits. 90% of the time people just fork over the cash without a jury trial. That is living large.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Hmmm go figure. It seems that Susan has every excuse in the world as to her being a criminal. The bottom line is criminals love plea agreements. Innocent people have no use for them.

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    According to the IBJ the 3 top employers in the great State of Indiana are:

1) Wal-Mart
    2) The Federal Gov.
    3) The State Gov.

The money has to come from somewhere when they are running the printing presses!

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    People plea to get a reduced sentence. Guilty people are not going to all go to trial and end up with a longer sentence.

Second, this woman couldn't afford prescription meds (which for anti-depressant and anti-anxiety meds are $3 at WalMart and $4 at Target), but she could afford cocaine?

There is more, but this article is full of fail.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Depending on the judge and the offense charged, a conviction at trial as opposed to a plea might move you from probation to DOC time.

You might also find yourself having to come to court every month for a pre-trial conference, only to be continued yet again while the others doing the same thing also demand their trials.

This might work with lesser offenses, though.

I thought only liberals were into the practice of denying responsibility and consequences for their acts? My bad. :dunno:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Depending on the judge and the offense charged, a conviction at trial as opposed to a plea might move you from probation to DOC time.

You might also find yourself having to come to court every month for a pre-trial conference, only to be continued yet again while the others doing the same thing also demand their trials.

This might work with lesser offenses, though.

I thought only liberals were into the practice of denying responsibility and consequences for their acts? My bad. :dunno:

You are right about going back repeatedly. I know a guy out in California that fought a charge against him and it took a year and 9 separate visits to the court house.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    You are right about going back repeatedly. I know a guy out in California that fought a charge against him and it took a year and 9 separate visits to the court house.

It may also take a lot of money. My 68 year old mother suffers from mental illness and caused a fatal auto accident during an extreme episode. She has been charged with 2 felonies.

We expect that she will be found not guilty due to her mental illness history. However, it is expected that it will cost her (and therefore the victims' family) over $ 50,000 in legal fees.

Last edited:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It may also take a lot of money. A family member suffers from mental illness and caused a fatal auto accident during an extreme episode. She has been charged with 2 felonies.

We expect that she will be found not guilty due to her mental illness history. However, it is expected that it will cost her (and the victims' family) over $ 50,000.
    Lawyers gots to make they monayyy...:(

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hmmm go figure. It seems that Susan has every excuse in the world as to her being a criminal. The bottom line is criminals love plea agreements. Innocent people have no use for them.

This might be true if we actually had presumed innocense.

Innocent people plead guilty all the time, because they know the system is stacked against them.

If you are the person who "most likely" did it, then you're guilty. If you refused the plea, then you're EXTRA guilty and get the max penalty.

Especially in a jury trial. People love to see "justice" done.

All the prosecution has to do is fabricate a believable story that gives you motive, means, and opportunity.

BAM! Guilty, send that arrogant SOB up the river for not taking a plea deal.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    When a Cop gives you a choice between Option A or a ride downtown, take the ride.

When a Cop says you can be home tongiht for dinner or eat Bologna sandwiches in jail. Tell him you prefer yours with cheese and mustard.

Have a good attorney BEFORE you need one.

Screw plea bargins. A good attorney knows how to win and is not afraid of going to court. All it costs you is money and you don't even have to use real money, you can use a credit card. Then file bankruptcy after if the costs are more then you can afford to pay.

The way you win in any situation is to beat them with their own rule book.

Top Bottom