• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    When I saw the movie preview I thought it was about zombies.

After reading this, I think I will spend my ticket money on something else.

God Is ‘The Bad Guy’ In A Christian’s New Movie?

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Christianity Today recently ran a story on a Christian that regularly appears in films of shall we say an eerie nature. In an article titled Under the Rubber Mask, actor Doug Jones was interviewed about his work in the movies and his ministry to young people “seeking their fame and fortune” in Los Angeles.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
    Of course the first question that came to my mind was: Why is a Christian participating in movies that glorify the ghastly? Nevertheless, he is currently appearing in an “apocalyptic” feature called Legion where he reportedly plays a possessed character known as “Ice Cream Man” who is gruesomely transformed before wide-eyed watchers into a screaming monster. Apparently, his 90-second performance is so compelling it is being widely used to promote the film in trailers I have seen repeatedly on evening television during commercial breaks.[/FONT]
    “Abstain from all appearance of evil.”
    – 1st Thessalonians 5:22[/FONT]
    I have to wonder if Mr. Jones thinks young people who seek out and pay money for this kind of entertainment will exit the theater in better spiritual condition than when they arrived – or if this is even a concern. The seemingly insatiable appetite for ghouls, goblins and gore has always puzzled me – especially among those who claim Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. One would think having been rescued by the grace of God from an eternity in Hell, Christian moviegoers and actors would have an aversion to gratuitous hell-on-earth extravaganzas. After all, a craving for the macabre is not really the fruit of the Spirit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]“And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.” – Ephesians 5:11[/FONT]​

Here’s just some of what Christianity Today had to say about the film:[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Legion is a wild story in which God, fed up with mankind, sends a legion of angels to wipe out the human race, whose only hope lies in a group of strangers trapped in an out-of-the way diner—and in the Archangel Michael, who comes to their aid.”[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]“There is no wisdom nor understanding nor counsel against the LORD.” – Proverbs 21:30

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]But what really struck me as strange in the interview was Mr. Jones’ justification for his involvement in the flick:[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]“Jones, a Christian, knows it's bad theology, but agreed to the gig because its director, Scott Stewart, wanted Jones to be a primary spokesman in promoting the film. Jones saw that as an opportunity to talk to others about God's real plan for mankind.”[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]So, for evangelistic reasons, this Christian actor jumped onboard a theological travesty just so he could straighten everyone out later with the truth? Funny – I don’t recall Jesus ever teaching the end justifies the means. Do you suppose those who see and hear him will do as he says or do as he does? [/FONT]
    “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?... Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.”
    – 2nd Corinthians 6:14 &17[/FONT]​
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]When asked: “Why did you agree to be in a movie that's theologically incorrect?” CT reported the following as Jones’ response:[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]“I was very uneasy about God being the bad guy, but they wanted to use my face and name to help promote the film. Then it became more important to me.”[/FONT]​

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Let me see if I’ve got this straight: A Christian actor portraying a grotesque entity in a “theologically incorrect” movie that presents God as “the bad guy” is a good idea because they’ll use his name and face to promote it? Are we to believe Mr. Jones has the Lord’s interest in mind here and that his Christian witness to the media will somehow counteract the spiritual confusion the film creates making its biblical boo boos all better for the boys and girls back home?

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]“Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” – Isaiah 5:20[/FONT]​

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

After reading this, I think I will spend my ticket money on something else.

This movie simply represents the spirit of this age. They want a good reason to not submit to God; therefore, why not make movies to propaganda the idea? It's just the anti-Christ spirit using another medium to encourage man to be more humanistic and rebellious.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, they'll make more of these as time progresses. Who knows, Al Gore may come to save the planet in 'Al Gore rescues Earth from another Godflood' part II. :rolleyes: :twocents:

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    People are making it harder and harder to be Christian. Hang in the my brothers!

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

*boggle*

HOW?

The voice-over in the preview specifically says something along the lines of "the first time God wanted to destroy the world, He sent a flood. This time, He uses angels."

Where do you get zombies out of that?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    An out-of-the-way diner becomes the unlikely battleground for the survival of the human race. When God loses faith in humankind, he sends his legion of angels to bring on the Apocalypse. Humanity's only hope lies in a group of strangers trapped in a desert diner with the Archangel Michael (Bettany).
    That's the synopsis of the movie. Doesn't seem much more horrific than the horror story revealed in Revelations.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    People are making it harder and harder to be Christian. Hang in the my brothers!

This film does not challenge my faith one bit. Hollywood has never done the Biblical Apocalypse well, so the moment I saw the preview, I put it in the mental "sci-fi/horror" bin, and it has troubled me not at all ever since.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    *boggle*

HOW?

The voice-over in the preview specifically says something along the lines of "the first time God wanted to destroy the world, He sent a flood. This time, He uses angels."

Where do you get zombies out of that?

I think I was viewing a movie discussion thread on a computer with no speakers. Clearly I missed the obvious, lol.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Ok so they portray God as the bad guy. But couldn't this be seen as a cleansing as in the story of Noah and his Ark? I haven't really paid attention to the trailer. So I am only going off what has been posted. Maybe I should go check it out before I write this. Anyway, seems to be the core principles are the same in both stories. Not much worth the hoopla is it? Maybe I'm way off base here.

edit: So I watched the trailer. I definitely see what the fuss is about now. But, I can also see it as an alternative view from Noah and his family's perspective.

Last edited:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well it could be a "one honest man" caveat like the story of Lot or Noah. That's something that's not really covered in the preview. But honestly, I think it's somebody figuring they'd make a movie of a lot of cool-looking dudes with black wings posing in black leather. Throw in some freaky-lookin monsterpeople, a couple of highly stylized fight sequences, and round it out with some end-of-the-world special effects, and BOOM turn 40 million into 60 (or something).

I see no real agenda at work other than "folks seem to like the end of the world at the moment, let's cash in with that plus some Bible stuff we made up based on a 2nd-grade understanding of Revelation". Seriously, it deserves no more thought than that.

But hey, it's got Kevin Durand in it, and I always like to see him get work, so I plan to see it even though it's probably an insult to the aforementioned 2nd-grader's intelligence.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Maybe I am missing something but John's Revelation tells of Angels releasing bowls of wrath from God....

I will watch it, before I make an opinion but this particular subject is one I am very familar with. I will wait till DVD though as I went and saw Eli instead.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    God is the bad guy in new movie
    Shouldn't surprise anyone.... half the world thinks God is the bad guy...... hell, even the President..... never mind............different oath...... right?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Basically a bad popcorn flick. Saw it on a whim with the wife last week
    when we were bored and wanted some popcorn.

It has nothing more to do with the Bible than the writer pulling
    a couple of names out of it and applying to the characters. Nothing.

Mediocre at best.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    the book of revelations kinda makes it sound like God is a bad guy but then again all that happens in to book separates the believers from the condemned

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    god is the bad guy...so basically he's acting like he did in the OT....asking a man to murder his son, actually drowning all of mankind, ordering the slaughter of men, women and children.

just sounds like a bad movie.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I have to LOL here... I am Catholic...GOD is the bad guy....

I have yet to see it I will wait for the dvd and rent it, gotta keep an eye on the other side.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    I have to LOL here... I am Catholic...GOD is the bad guy....

I have yet to see it I will wait for the dvd and rent it, gotta keep an eye on the other side.

i cant hold it any more... dude your avatar reminds me of an orangutan

rf-4.jpg

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Clearly not zombies vs. angels as I originally thought... lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6p01-in6-k"]YouTube - Watch The New LEGION Trailer - In Theaters 1/22/10[/ame]

Top Bottom