• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Why is it that I shoot wheel guns better than autos.
    Even my 1911's don't compare to my shooting revolvers. Don't get me wrong, I love my autos and can shoot them perfectly adequately but my groups are smaller with my wheel guns.
    38s, 357's even full house 44 magnums I seem to shoot more accurately.
    So, I'm not gonna fight it.

I'm going to carry my 357's and 44 mags

That's all

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I love my wheel guns, both double and single action. Problem with them is they fire from a different chamber every time and my auto-loaders fire from the same chamber every time. Just easier mechanically for me to get a better group with an auto.

Still, shoot and carry what you are best with.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I shoot revolvers. 38,357 and 44mag and several semi autos including 1911's and I have the opposite issue. I do better with my auto's. I am improving. I think it has to do with practice and what you get comfortable with. I am working more with my revolver so I can improve my skills. Be a more well rounded shooter over all.

I started with semi auto rifles. Picked up bolt and now lever. Going to try a little of everything.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm with you. I shoot a revolver better than the majority of semi-autos. I believe this is because of the balance, grip angle, grip curvature, the fact that it fits my palms better, and the type of sights.

Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    Revolvers ARE more accurate than auto-loaders. The tolerances are closer and when fired are repeatable. Auto-loaders use "looser" fitting parts for feeding and reliability reasons. Also the lockup minutely changes from round to round, so the position of the barrel in the lugs isn't the exact same spot every round

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm with you. I shoot a revolver better than the majority of semi-autos. I believe this is because of the balance, grip angle, grip curvature, the fact that it fits my palms better, and the type of sights.

Revolvers ARE more accurate than auto-loaders. The tolerances are closer and when fired are repeatable. Auto-loaders use "looser" fitting parts for feeding and reliability reasons. Also the lockup minutely changes from round to round, so the position of the barrel in the lugs isn't the exact same spot every round

Both pretty much right on but there is also an art to using a DA revolver. It depends a lot on what you started with. Nothing against the new generation of autos (like the Glock M&P etc) But when folks start with the safe action/striker fired or SA 1911's it seems they have issues learning the trigger of a DA revolver. The opposite happens with the revolver folks. When we went from the model 15's to the Beretta's several of us that were shooters had a hard time shooting the new Beretta's as well as the revolvers we were so familiar with.

Just prior programing!

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Both pretty much right on but there is also an art to using a DA revolver. It depends a lot on what you started with. Nothing against the new generation of autos (like the Glock M&P etc) But when folks start with the safe action/striker fired or SA 1911's it seems they have issues learning the trigger of a DA revolver. The opposite happens with the revolver folks. When we went from the model 15's to the Beretta's several of us that were shooters had a hard time shooting the new Beretta's as well as the revolvers we were so familiar with.

Just prior programing!
    I agree to a point but I started with an M16A1 and a 1911
    When I started shooting for real, I did start with revolvers and still go back to them

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I like 'em all. Just carry what you're in the mood to carry that day. As long as you have been shooting it lately, and hit well with it. The experts say you you should practice with one type and get really good at that type and carry it. Well...maybe it will get me in trouble someday, but who wants to live forever. lol. Besides I shoot what I carry and I shoot well. Today this one...tomorrow that one....this is fun.
    0620131148a_zps6dedcd55.jpg

0620131156_zps40f53ec2.jpg

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I like 'em all. Just carry what you're in the mood to carry that day. As long as you have been shooting it lately, and hit well with it. The experts say you you should practice with one type and get really good at that type and carry it. Well...maybe it will get me in trouble someday, but who wants to live forever. lol. Besides I shoot what I carry and I shoot well. Today this one...tomorrow that one....this is fun.
    0620131148a_zps6dedcd55.jpg

0620131156_zps40f53ec2.jpg
    I do get funny looks when I carry a couple hog legs, Hickok style into Wal-mart though. I think it's the hat.:dunno:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Both pretty much right on but there is also an art to using a DA revolver. It depends a lot on what you started with.

I'll agree with that. I started out on wheel guns and then went to 1911s, then into DA/SA with CZ and Beretta. Even after thousands of rounds, I *still* don't like the feel of a Glock and don't shoot Glocks as well as revolvers, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll agree with that. I started out on wheel guns and then went to 1911s, then into DA/SA with CZ and Beretta. Even after thousands of rounds, I *still* don't like the feel of a Glock and don't shoot Glocks as well as revolvers, etc.

I do not think Glocks were made with the amount of accuracy we seek in mind. They function well enough, put holes in things reliably, they are butt ugly by comparison to about any other firearm except a Highpoint, they do not group as well as any of my 1911's when I shoot them. I can blame some of this on the awful trigger.

Top Bottom