• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flintlock9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Indy
    This might not be the right place for it, so please move it to wherever it should be.

My question is if I were to go out to the family farm to shoot some, and my sister in law would bring her boyfriend along. If I'm providing the firearms and ammo for the day. Will i be in any trouble if i find out later that the boyfriend has some "problems in the past" and can't own a firearm?
    Thanks!

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I suspect you will have problems. Not as many as your sister in law. But my niece had a child with a convicted felon. It's a tough row to hoe. I wish you well. And your sister in law well.

But I don't think you will have broken any laws.
    Don't give him, lend him or sell him a firearm.

But I could be wrong.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If he is a felon I would flat out tell him that he won't be handling your firearms. Clear the air and move on, why take any chance at liability.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    IIRC, a felon in In., cannot have access, to a firearm .....

I would not post anymore about this .....

Edit, I just CANNOT wrap my head around, why anyone, would "get involved" with a criminal .....

But, that is just me .....

flintlock9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Indy
    Edit, I just CANNOT wrap my head around, why anyone, would "get involved" with a criminal .....

But, that is just me .....[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't have a clue either. Should make for an interesting Thanksgiving Dinner!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    This might not be the right place for it, so please move it to wherever it should be.

My question is if I were to go out to the family farm to shoot some, and my sister in law would bring her boyfriend along. If I'm providing the firearms and ammo for the day. Will i be in any trouble if i find out later that the boyfriend has some "problems in the past" and can't own a firearm?
    Thanks!

You've gotten your answer, but if this boyfriend has really learned his lesson, I would recommend he seek post-conviction relief. He needs to talk to a lawyer and go back to the court that convicted him, but the result could be that his felony conviction, for which he served his time and has not returned to that lifestyle, could be reduced to a misdemeanor, restoring his good name. (and in the process, removing that liability as well.)

If you are not convinced that he has, indeed, straightened up his act, just keep your safe locked, your pistol on your hip, and about this at least, your mouth closed.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

flintlock9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Indy
    Thanks for all your advice, thankfully none of this has happened .He has just said we should go to the range some time. Then in a later conversation that he can't buy one. Yes all of the gun are in the safe. No reason not to CYA! Thanks!!!

HawgdawgLS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    US
    Wouldnt your sister in law's boyfriend be your brother?

I would think though that if you believed in good faith a person wasn't a felon then you should be ok but I'm not a lawyer so I don't know.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Wouldnt your sister in law's boyfriend be your brother?

I would think though that if you believed in good faith a person wasn't a felon then you should be ok but I'm not a lawyer so I don't know.

Wife's sister's boyfriend? Just the first example that came to mind, but in any event, the boyfriend wouldn't be related at all until he's a husband.

And you'd be right, right up until boyfriend said he was not able to purchase a firearm (presumably meaning, "lawfully".) At that point, you have reason to believe he is not a proper person under IN law.

IANAL, TINLA

Blessings,
    Bill

flintlock9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Indy
    Yes that is correct, wife's sister's boyfriend.
    I really didn't want to go shooting with him anyways, but this gives me a very good reason not to.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    IIRC, a felon in In., cannot have access, to a firearm .....

I would not post anymore about this .....

But, that is just me .....
    You know, some people do something stupid, then learn their lesson and live the rest of their life legally.

flintlock9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Indy
    If he were farther south - Yes.

So why is your sister in law hanging out with a felon?
    If you bring a shovel along, you can take care of two problems in one trip. :):
    No idea, guess she's still rebelling against her parents...... along time after her teenage years are over.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Some guys see the light. One of the purposes of prison is reform, maybe this guy is reformed. Either way, he's a free man so in my opinion he has as much right to defend himself as anyone else. The law disagrees with me on this point, however.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    Some guys see the light. One of the purposes of prison is reform, maybe this guy is reformed. Either way, he's a free man so in my opinion he has as much right to defend himself as anyone else. The law disagrees with me on this point, however.

The law does but I don't. If he is reformed enough to walk about a free man then he should be free to walk around armed. If we can't trust him to be armed then why is he walking around free?

flintlock9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2013
    Indy
    I think he had a few run ins with the law in his younger days. He's got a temper and I'm sure that lead to a few rights and maybe even some charges. I don't know it's none of my business. I'm just keeping my guns away from him.

Top Bottom