• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So we have a couple that we are friends with, and he is very concerned with the fecal matter hitting the oscillator. They are looking for a home defense firearm. Some background they live in a Vinyl Village* and are in very close proximity to other homes on all 4 sides. By close I would say they can pass a cup of sugar between house through the window. Also they have small children in the home. They have done their homework and taken a basic safety course etc.

So next week we are going to one of the larger stores in the area, their a bit on the pricey side but their inventory is really good, and they have a lot of rentals, both hand guns and long guns.

So wondering might be some potential options for them? Given the concerns over noise in the house and over penetration concerns, what would you suggest looking at. Bearing in mind Ammo cost etc.

* Credit to the Mouse for the term Vinyl Village

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with federal 00 flite control and close thread.
    If a handgun is preferred then I’d say Glock 19, wml options (streamlight tlr1 or similar), Federal 147gr HSP again close thread.
    Plenty of comparable options M&P vs Glock or other.
    Can’t go wrong with both above and certainly use them for a go to and for price comparisons.
    For less than $1k they can have both with ammo and be good to go.
    Training recommended also.
    Just purchasing a gun & ammo isn’t enough.
    Preaching to the choir but worth restating.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So we have a couple that we are friends with, and he is very concerned with the fecal matter hitting the oscillator. They are looking for a home defense firearm. Some background they live in a Vinyl Village* and are in very close proximity to other homes on all 4 sides. By close I would say they can pass a cup of sugar between house through the window. Also they have small children in the home. They have done their homework and taken a basic safety course etc.

So next week we are going to one of the larger stores in the area, their a bit on the pricey side but their inventory is really good, and they have a lot of rentals, both hand guns and long guns.

So wondering might be some potential options for them? Given the concerns over noise in the house and over penetration concerns, what would you suggest looking at. Bearing in mind Ammo cost etc.

* Credit to the Mouse for the term Vinyl Village
    I would say …. Whatever they are most comfortable holding and shooting. The chances of having to use the firearm… slim…. Chances of pass through very slim…. Chances of pass through and getting someone else in another house very very slim. Within reason obviously and with the correct ammunition. (No 300 win mag with FMj) I am not a lawyer or a ballistics expert.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    I was also going to suggest a shotty
    Maverick 88 in either 12 (then 2 3/4” shells) or 20 gauge, and a box of buckshot shells.

When the crazy 2020 rolled around, many of my previously anti-gun friends started asking me if they could borrow something. Maverick 88 from Walmart ($95) and a box of shells was my “loaner” package.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I would say …. Whatever they are most comfortable holding and shooting. The chances of having to use the firearm… slim…. Chances of pass through very slim…. Chances of pass through and getting someone else in another house very very slim. Within reason obviously and with the correct ammunition. (No 300 win mag with FMj) I am not a lawyer or a ballistics expert.
    Being a new shooter I was going to offer a suggestion of let the flaming begin, but a 10/22.
    understanding that a carbine with a 25 round magazine loaded the appropriate quality ammo May be worth considering.

Or Perhaps an AR 15 with appropriate ammo.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with federal 00 flite control and close thread.
    If a handgun is preferred then I’d say Glock 19, wml options (streamlight tlr1 or similar), Federal 147gr HSP again close thread.
    Plenty of comparable options M&P vs Glock or other.
    Can’t go wrong with both above and certainly use them for a go to and for price comparisons.
    Training recommended also.
    Just purchasing a gun & ammo isn’t enough.
    Preaching to the choir but worth restating.
    This.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Most things that will reliably penetrate 12 inches ballistics gel will also penetrate a wall in the vinyl village. Conversely, most things that won’t penetrate a standard sheet rock wall, won’t penetrate 12 inches of gel either.

Another approach to address the over penetration issue is to consider the layout of the home, the potential to create areas of refuge, and lanes of fire with backstops (ex. full bookcases, file cabinets, etc.).

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Shotguns, especially short(er) barreled shotguns, are not easy for beginners to use, and over penetration can still be an issue.
    Practice, practice, practice...
    Whatever they decide, make sure they leave a budget for practice, practice, practice...

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with federal 00 flite control and close thread. If a handgun is preferred then I’d say Glock 19.
    This is how it starts. In Sept 2020, my wife and I decided we should buy a gun. We tried out several belonging to my bro-in-law. We eventually decided on a budget AR for SHTF... and a Glock 9mm to carry... and a 20 gauge Mossy 500 for HD. We assumed that would be that; we had all our bases covered. Til we realized we also needed a 10/22, then a Mosin, then several more Mosins, and eventually one of everything else...

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    High brass 12ga shells loaded with #5 pellets for HD in the vinyl village are devastating at across the room distance and less likely to overpenetrate. Varmint grenades or similar 40 to 50 grain frangible bullets in an AR platform are another decent choice.
    Solid answer right there.

I was thinking shotgun before getting to the end of the OP.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I would say start with a 20 gauge with 2 3/4" #4 buckshot or even a turkey shell. Practice with field loads. Less recoil equals more willingness to practice and alot less punishment. 20 Gauge will get the job done and the wife would be much more interested in shooting something like that than a 12. Even a .410 with slugs would do well in a house. Or a Mossy 500 12 Guage with Shorty shells.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Not sure if their only exposure is a basic safety course or if they have more experience than that.

A Mossberg 500 20 guage with #2 buckshot is pretty easily handled by most people.
    The youth model makes it pretty easy handling for everyone.

Maverick 88 security or Mossberg 590 if everyone is able to handle a 12 guage.

Last edited:

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville

I think the answer is here. Let them rent and find what works best for them. Many people here recommend a shotgun variant which I think is a great option however some I genuinely think recoil might be an issue for them.

Handguns are great but difficult to aim without lots of practice, especially for a newbie.

I'm going to throw a curveball out there and recommend a PCC or ar-9 variant with quality JHP ammo. Penetration will happen regardless since drywall & vinyl arent going to stop Buckshot or 9mm/.45. I would see if the range you take them to has a CZ Scorpion, Ruger PC pistol Carbine, or something similar in 9mm. A PCC has alot of upsides and shooting a longer gun that is also lighter is much easier than a handgun. Additionally magazine capacity is not a major concern as many pcc's have mags 30 or 40 rds.

But at the end of the end day let them see what they like!

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have a 12 ga mossy 500 18.5” and keep it loaded with frangible #4 buckshot. It also has a weapon mounted light. Will stop a threat but not as likely to penetrate walls. My 5’0” wife can handle it and yes, you are not going to stop someone behind a door but I feel it necessary to ID a target before engaging. My bedside pistol is loaded with 124 gr +p 9mm if I need penetration.

just my :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    A 4" barrel full size 357 Magnum loaded with 125gr 38 Special ammo. Light recoil and easy to handle for just about anyone. Get some training and alot of practice shooting.
    Shotguns are nice but, can be very intimidating to use by smaller stature people.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Would advise against OO buck loads if shotgun is the choice. Look for mid sized buck like number 4 or similar. Auto loader is preferred to reduce the chance of shooter induced malfunctions with new shooters and pump shotguns. Also would advise to buy something American made not Turkish if you go the shotgun route.

Personally I’d recommend a 16 inch 5.56 carbine with some ballistic tip or hollow point loads. Less chance of over penetration. AR makes more sense for fecal matter and fan situation.

Good on ya for helping them. Hope they get what they want and get some good training to go with it.
    :patriot:

Top Bottom