• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    Im taking a family vacation to Gatlinburg Tn and was sure if anyone had any suggestions on were to vistit i made a list i need to dig up and ill put it on here but i am open to all suggestions and comments good or bad. Great places to eat are a PLUS!!

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville. Forbidden Caverns near Sevierville is also a cool place. There is a catfish place (the name escapes me) in Pigeon Forge that is pretty outstanding.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    There is a catfish place (the name escapes me) in Pigeon Forge that is pretty outstanding.
    Huck Fins. Your kids will love it, and the food is pretty awesome. All you can eat, baby!

The Greenbriar is a really nice place (actual tablecloths), and still kid-friendly (especially for an early dinner). Its off of 321 east of Gatlinburg.

We always hit Cades Cove for a nice scenic drive. Townsend and the road between that in Pigeon Forge has a few decent antique shops.

We just went last fall. Rented a small cabin for a long weekend. Hit the aquarium, downtown 'burg, the Old Mill area of Pigeon Forge, and some outlets (keeping the wife happy!). Hard to find bad food anywhere. Easy to find cheap Chinese knock-off souvenirs, though! We have been about 5 times, and always have a nice, relaxing time.

Oh, and CCW-friendly on your Indiana license. Stay out of bars, and all the same places on the Indiana no-carry list.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    love gatlinburg/pigeon forge. haven't been in years. the knife shop is definately a great place to go.

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    Nice alot of this isnt on my list but im goin in May for 6 days do i will definatly redo a few things

Now what attractions should i avoid it looks like Ripleys has a few that look to be a waste . Now i would like to go the gem mine anyone done that? Thanks Dustin

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I worked in gatlinburg as a snowboard instructor for 6 years, and, honestly, the only place I enjoyed there was the knife works...

...I'm going to warn you, though, that, if you're looking for a benchmade, they only carry one (literally, one) model. Just a thought.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    My wife and I take the kids every year (10 years). Thers alot of things to do but it can get expensive fast.

Thngs to see:
    Cades cove
    Smoky Mountain Knife Works (Sevierville, TN)
    Floyd Garrett's muscle car museum (Sevierville, TN)
    The mountains (if you like to hike pick a trail, theres plenty)
    Places to eat:
    The Atrium (Gatlinburg)
    The Old Mill (Pigeon Forge)
    The Black Bear Jamboree (dinner and show- Pigeon Forge)
    The Dixie Stampede (dinner and show- Pigeon Forge)

Last edited:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Take the chair lift ride to the top of Ober-Gatlinberg to see three or four states. If you get the chance, Ashville, North Carlonia ( an hour or so drive to the east) has the Vanderberg house and I saw on public television there is a farmers market durning the week for something different to see and do in the area. Was last there in 2000 and there was a store on the main drag in Gatlinberg that sold just about any type of hot sauce made on the planet if interested.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I haven't been there in years but there used to be some Indian stuff to see over in Cherokee NC. which is just a few hollers over.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    The mountains themselves are really the best part. Pick up a waterfall map in the visitor's center as you enter the park, and start hiking. The best part of my trip by far.

I would second the Black Bear Jamboree. Some very good performers there. If you appreciate some really great harmonies and well-rehearsed dancing, you'll like it even with the silly jokes and stuff to keep kids entertained.

I also really liked the salt and pepper shaker museum. I know, I'm a little odd. It was a nice break from the heat when I was there and there really were a lot of interesting sets to look at. And the price - donation at the end.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    My wife and I decided that if we ever decide to move out of Indiana that we are moving to Tennessee and it will most likely be to the Seymour area, which is about 40 miles from Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

D.B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Avon
    Dixie Stampede is a great family show also a very good meal. It is worth the ticket price! Look for a place called The Chop House, I have not been there but have heard many say it is not to be missed. Aquarium is a good time, but the park is awesome! Enjoy!!

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    Take the chair lift ride to the top of Ober-Gatlinberg to see three or four states. If you get the chance, Ashville, North Carlonia ( an hour or so drive to the east) has the Vanderberg house and I saw on public television there is a farmers market durning the week for something different to see and do in the area. Was last there in 2000 and there was a store on the main drag in Gatlinberg that sold just about any type of hot sauce made on the planet if interested.
    I know theres a place called All Sauced Up my brother lovws hot sauce so I wanna find somthing to make him cry thats definatly on my list.

Top Bottom