• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Ok, I gotta start by saying that I am by no means ready financially or with my schedule for training. However, I have realized for a while now that I really want to get trained in defense and combatives by people who really know what they are doing. I am looking for suggestions on what I should do to start and where I should possibly go from there. I never served in the military and have never received proper instruction on a lot of things.

All this being said, I do know quite a bit about firearms in general already. I am a graduate of Colorado School of Trades and have owned/fired weapons since I was 5. However, I am still not what I would call a professional shootist. (I dont get much time to shoot anymore and money has been tight for the last 3 years). I have watched some videos and understand some of the concepts in training with a semi-auto rifle/carbine. I am very proficient with a pump shotgun (grew up in shotgun zone MI). I can hit a pie plate at 200 with my FAL without much of an issue, but thats not all that great. Neither is the fact that I can keep my 9mm on a man sized target with fairly rapid fire at 25 yds. I have spent a lot of time and money in the last few years trying to gear up on guns, ammo, and reloading (still not a lot of stuff but should be enough for one guy).

I have decided I want to attend an Appleseed shoot sometime in the next year. I have an old Ranger bolt action, tube-fed 22 (copy of a Marlin model 81) that I intend to use with a copy of a 1917 sling (the one on my FAL). When I am able, it will have a Williams aperture rear sight also. What do you Appleseed guys think?

I also want/need to train with my FAL and CZ 9mm (Id like to do shotgun also, but Im pretty proficient at loading and clearing malfunctions from an 870, so I might save that for last). These are where I will need varying degrees of practice and instruction. Operation and malfunction clearing arent foreign concepts but tactics are. (It would still pay to have some practice doing these things under duress).

I saw in another post where someone suggested getting together a training group. I like this idea. I dont know anyone in Lebanon, however. I dont get out much.

Soooooooooooo???? After all that BS, Im open to some suggestions. I want to know where I should turn and what have to prepare for (money, dates, times, ammo, etc.) Anybody got any suggestions?

EddieCar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    You should try Mindset Lab here in Indy. I have been to a few of his classes and am going to attend the rest of them. His training is realistic and thought provoking.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks. I will check them out. I will probably be spending a lot more time in this and the self defense sub forum now also to see what a lot of folks are doing.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Why don't you do a search. There are quite a few threads on this topic already. Lebanon is a good place to get training.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Why don't you do a search. There are quite a few threads on this topic already. Lebanon is a good place to get training.

Seriously? I guess I need to spend some more time in this section. I never see anything posted about Lebanon. On any website. lol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I took the Appleseed Marksmanship Training a couple of years ago myself and I'll tell you from direct experience....it's an awesome course to take if you're truly serious about rifle accuracy! Before I took the 2-day course, I was just average with rifle accuracy, having good and bad days on the targets.

Now, after that course and applying what I learned, I can get into any rifle shooting position, on any given day and nail just about anything I want 250 yards on-in pretty easily, with or without a sling and I'm hitting steel almost every shot at 250 yards with my AR while free standing. Bang...clink! Bang...clink! I ended up qualifying Sharpshooter using the ARMY AQT protocol, only missing expert by 3 points. Oh well... I did prove to my classmates that day, that I could hit the edge of a 1/2" steel plate at 100 yards. lol I was amazed how well my accuracy improved after taking that training.

So yeah.....take the Appleseed stuff...the course is that good! You'll be glad you did!!

-Phil

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I took the Appleseed Marksmanship Training a couple of years ago myself and I'll tell you from direct experience....it's an awesome course to take if you're truly serious about rifle accuracy! Before I took the 2-day course, I was just average with rifle accuracy, having good and bad days on the targets.

Now, after that course and applying what I learned, I can get into any rifle shooting position, on any given day and nail just about anything I want 250 yards on-in pretty easily, with or without a sling and I'm hitting steel almost every shot at 250 yards with my AR while free standing. Bang...clink! Bang...clink! I ended up qualifying Sharpshooter using the ARMY AQT protocol, only missing expert by 3 points. Oh well... I did prove to my classmates that day, that I could hit the edge of a 1/2" steel plate at 100 yards. lol I was amazed how well my accuracy improved after taking that training.

So yeah.....take the Appleseed stuff...the course is that good! You'll be glad you did!!

-Phil

Thats what I like to hear.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok, I gotta start by saying that I am by no means ready financially or with my schedule for training. However, I have realized for a while now that I really want to get trained in defense and combatives by people who really know what they are doing. I am looking for suggestions on what I should do to start and where I should possibly go from there. I never served in the military and have never received proper instruction on a lot of things.

Sounds like you've already taken the first step by recognizing that you could benefit from professional training. Many never even make it to that step.

For "hardware" training the recommendations above for Sheriff Campbell's outfit are good (and local). An Appleseed is certainly great for ingraining the basics of rifle marksmanship (and some cool history) at an affordable price. Adaptive Consulting and Training (ACT) puts on some great 1-day courses that are also a good value and wouldn't require an overnight stay away from home. Bright Firearms Training (Coach) does one-on-one training that could also help keep your overall cost down.

For "software" training there is Tactical Firearms Training's 1-day gun law seminar at Eagle Creek. And of course at Mindset Laboratory we have some combatives courses and FoF offerings that are great ways to learn and test what you've learned.

Welcome to the T&T subforum. :yesway:

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Sounds like you've already taken the first step by recognizing that you could benefit from professional training. Many never even make it to that step.

For "hardware" training the recommendations above for Sheriff Campbell's outfit are good (and local). An Appleseed is certainly great for ingraining the basics of rifle marksmanship (and some cool history) at an affordable price. Adaptive Consulting and Training (ACT) puts on some great 1-day courses that are also a good value and wouldn't require an overnight stay away from home. Bright Firearms Training (Coach) does one-on-one training that could also help keep your overall cost down.

For "software" training there is Tactical Firearms Training's 1-day gun law seminar at Eagle Creek. And of course at Mindset Laboratory we have some combatives courses and FoF offerings that are great ways to learn and test what you've learned.

Welcome to the T&T subforum. :yesway:
    Thank you, sir. Now Ive got some research to do.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    200-yards with a rifle, and 25 yards with a pistol, are good goals - hitting your target at those distances is certainly gratifying. However, I'm not sure I can foresee many scenarios where firing at such distances towards people could be justified in court as legitimate self-defense.

On your limited budget, I'd suggest you seek out training that will be applicable to your daily life.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    200-yards with a rifle, and 25 yards with a pistol, are good goals - hitting your target at those distances is certainly gratifying. However, I'm not sure I can foresee many scenarios where firing at such distances towards people could be justified in court as legitimate self-defense.

On your limited budget, I'd suggest you seek out training that will be applicable to your daily life.
    That is a good idea. I didnt say those were goals. I said those were things I could do already. I want to get better. I want to increase my abilities with everything, including rifle marksmanship.

Top Bottom