• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    I think I'm finally gonna try uspsa. I'm a little confused on power factor. I'd like to shoot a 9 or 45. But seems everyone shoots 40. Is there a way to hit major power factor in 9? I've not found any data. And what would be a good 40 load. I have talked to guys that shoot light 40 and make power factor. Why can't I shoot a hot 147 9? Advantages and disadvantages ? Thanks for any help

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Depends on the division.

Open you can shoot 9mm in major.
    Limited, Limited 10, SS you must have a .40 cal or greater caliber to score major. 9 will score as minor, it doesn't matter how hot you load it.
    Production is minor regardless of caliber.

People in open usually shoot 38 super or 9 to maximize magazine capacity. People in Limited usually shoot 40 to score major and maximize capacity compared to a 45. People in SS usually shoot 40 or 45 in major. Shooting major in SS is limited to 8 rds so 40 or 45 does not matter except 40 is cheaper to shoot but guns are harder to find. Shooting minor in SS will allow you to load mags to 10rds so some shoot 9 or 40 but most people favor the higher scoring of major instead of the extra two rounds. Production is always minor so most people shoot 9 because it's the cheapest to reload.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    At our club I pick up mostly 9mm and 45 after a match. My sorted brass buckets are proof. ;) Production division is the most popular here and that is dominated by 9mm. Quite a few single stack shooters and that is mostly 45. Most of the 40s are in limited division.

The only guys shooting really hot 9mm are in the open division. 9 major is replacing 38 super it seems.

I am one of the odd guys that has come to enjoy single stack minor with a 9mm. I am not a competitor and just enjoy shooting with my friends.

What gun are you wanting to use OP?

Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    At our club I pick up mostly 9mm and 45 after a match. My sorted brass buckets are proof. ;) Production division is the most popular here and that is dominated by 9mm. Quite a few single stack shooters and that is mostly 45. Most of the 40s are in limited division.

The only guys shooting really hot 9mm are in the open division. 9 major is replacing 38 super it seems.

I am one of the odd guys that has come to enjoy single stack minor with a 9mm. I am not a competitor and just enjoy shooting with my friends.

What gun are you wanting to use OP?

My new fav is my 1911 Sti in 9. I love my 45's but 9 is cheaper, faster shooting, just a pleasure to shoot

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My new fav is my 1911 Sti in 9. I love my 45's but 9 is cheaper, faster shooting, just a pleasure to shoot

So single stack minor. You can use 10 round magazines while the 45 guys are limited to 8 rounds. Two More rounds might give you some options depending on the course. Understand that 9mm is scored differently and with C zone hits you get less points. Scoring is points divided by time. Shooting minor against major caliber guns becomes an accuracy game. Personally I do better with the minor caliber gun because I can attack the course with more confidence because of the extra rounds, I don't recover from recoil well and I am very accurate so I don't give up many points. But I am also not a top competitor. Those guys run 45 because of the advantage in points.

Most guys are loading 135 or 147 grain bullets over fast powder to make about 130 PF. Most 1911s like long OAL. My load is 124 grain making about 135 PF and loaded short enough to fit all of my guns. I run the same load in Walthers, Glocks, 1911, XDs, M&P.......................

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    OP, me too on trying uspsa. I want to go first to Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club's event since it is a lower round count event. August 11th looks to be the next one there. I would say starting out to use what you are most comfortable with and don't worry about the score.

(OP, on a related note, 7/11 is HHRP steel this week and 7/15 is Precision G.R. steel)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP, me too on trying uspsa. I want to go first to Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club's event since it is a lower round count event. August 11th looks to be the next one there. I would say starting out to use what you are most comfortable with and don't worry about the score.

(OP, on a related note, 7/11 is HHRP steel this week and 7/15 is Precision G.R. steel)

South Central gun club in Freetown has Steel this Saturday. We run out of the holster. USPSA back to back. Last Sunday of July and first Saturday in August. So lot of shooting close to Bloomington.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Deereman, since you said you do like your 45s, allow me to just put in a vote for .45 SS. There is really only one scenario where SS 9 will benefit you, and that is a spot in a field stage where exactly 5 targets (10 shots) are presented from one vantage point. The 9 shooter can avoid a standing reload in that one spot. In pretty much every other scenario, the 9 will drag against your score (almost) every shot you shoot (especially classifiers, where it's low round count and capacity makes no difference - but caliber does). It's a choice between a caliber that benefits you in one narrow scenario, vs. a caliber that benefits you absolutely _everywhere_ else. I got caught in the mindset that a 9 will allow me to run faster, and it's true to an extent, but as a beginner you're usually not at a level where you can discern and make use of that difference. I have also found that 5.2 grs. of Unique under a 230 grain bullet is a very easy load to shoot in a 41 oz. gun, and I don't feel handicapped on speed in the least when I shoot SS. There is a small cost advantage to 9, but to me it's more than canceled by the fact that 45 mags are easier to find (and you will be packing / using a _lot_ of those as an SS shooter).

Just my opinion and an alternate viewpoint. Have fun with your new sport!

Last edited:

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Since my shotgun days seem to be less and less, I to have put some thought into some pistol action. Can someone point me to some more info as to start times and the like to just watch and see some gear?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    May I suggest that you are putting too much thought into it before you've even tried it? Grab your favorite gun, in this case a 9mm 1911, some ammo that is reliable, and enough mags to shoot 40+ rounds on a course. Have a holster that solidly holds the gun and covers the trigger completely. Then, show up and shoot. Once you get a couple matches under your belt you'll start to better understand the major/minor trade offs in SS and make your own opinions on the matter. You may even decide SS isn't for you and end up switching to another division. I always suggest folks try it before spending a bunch of $. If you have some mag holders, great. If not, you can use a back pocket to get started.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Since my shotgun days seem to be less and less, I to have put some thought into some pistol action. Can someone point me to some more info as to start times and the like to just watch and see some gear?

Keep watching here and many clubs post match announcements, which includes dates/times/cost/etc.

Also, Locate USPSA Clubs - USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association will let you enter Indiana and see a list of all clubs in the state and their information.

-rvb

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am enjoying the information here posters. Very good insight that may be hard for me to pick up at match while all of the action is going on.

Not really. Somebody will explain the rules to you.

Most people don't realize that they can shoot USPSA with their favorite handgun, 5 magazines, a double mag pouch, holster and sturdy belt. Fobus, bladetech and uncle mikes make economy injection molded holsters and mag pouches that will work. Midway USA sells a generic instructors belt for less then $20 and even a competition belt for $25. Enjoying a day at the range does not require hundreds of dollars worth of gear.

Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    Not really. Somebody will explain the rules to you.

Most people don't realize that they can shoot USPSA with their favorite handgun, 5 magazines, a double mag pouch, holster and sturdy belt. Fobus, bladetech and uncle mikes make economy injection molded holsters and mag pouches that will work. Midway USA sells a generic instructors belt for less then $20 and even a competition belt for $25. Enjoying a day at the range does not require hundreds of dollars worth of gear.

Ive been shooting steel matches that are close to me since last fall. I try to get to two a month. I actually have all the equipment(holster, belt, mag pouches). I've been running draw drills at my range trying to get a perfect hand every time. As the steel matches were not allowed to draw. I think I'll bring the 9 for the first time. I've got a really good steel load. Not sure about uspsa. I'm running a precision delta 115 behind 4.8 grain aa2. It chronos at 1180. In my 45 I run 230grain with 5.6 gr aa2. It's 860. I got power pistol loads but they are hotter. I forget what they are. How do you figure pf?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Power Factor is weight x velocity. That 9mm load is 135 PF so plenty of power. If it's accurate and reliable run with it.

Deereman7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Greencastle
    Power Factor is weight x velocity. That 9mm load is 135 PF so plenty of power. If it's accurate and reliable run with it.
    I love the load. Aa2 is a double based spherical powder. Extremely small, get a good full case in 9, low recoil, meters perfect in my 650, fairly clean burning. Been a big fan for several years. Very accurate. Works good in 45 as well. I've only had problems with 40 of achieving good velocities. I really like longshot for my 40

Top Bottom