• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    I've been to the Indy 1500 before, but have always been looking for gear since I didn't need any ammo at the time. Now I'm low, and am looking for 9mm range-type rounds (Winchester WB, American Eagle, etc). Any vendors in particular to look for, that you all can recommend? I know prices will be up overall, but looking for a long-time vendor that will give a fair price. Thanks...

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I have been attending the Indy 1500 since late 2008. 9mm prices especially WWB and American Eagle are some of the things I keep an eye on. In the southernmost section of the Indy 1500, there is a vendor with a big yellow and black "AMMO" sign. In October, they were selling American Eagle 9mm by the case for right around $210ish. My dad, who closely watches .223, almost bought a case of PMC from them because he like their prices. I told him to hold off because .223 should come down even further in price. Boy, was I wrong on that one! :facepalm:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    There are two vendors I usually buy bulk ammo from. One is the group that has lots of bulk ammo piled up. They're usually in the small thin room at the end.

The other guy is the rather large guy that always sits in his chair on wheels. I don't know who that group is? He's usually on the side farthest away from the others.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Many of the local Walmarts still have 9mm in stock. I've seen plenty at Gander Mtn too. I wouldn't get you're hopes up finding ammo deals at this 1500.

PLEASE do a fellow INGO'er a favor and tell some of the Wal-Marts! I have seen zilch on the shelves.

Back on topic, I did read this thread for a reason after all, thank you for the info on some of the vendors folks :) Looks like my first gun show visit should warrant some ammo purchase granted I get there early enough... *prepares the racing gloves*

talderma

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    North East Indy
    There are two vendors I usually buy bulk ammo from. One is the group that has lots of bulk ammo piled up. They're usually in the small thin room at the end.

The other guy is the rather large guy that always sits in his chair on wheels. I don't know who that group is? He's usually on the side farthest away from the others.

I have used both vendors before, if you are looking to purchase bulk from the 1500, the guy in the skinny room will usually work with you on price.

I might also suggest checking some sources out online. If you are on top of things you can usually find some good prices. I just purchased 1,000 rounds of winchester FMJ 45 auto shipped to my door for $380.00. It took time to find it, but I did.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    PLEASE do a fellow INGO'er a favor and tell some of the Wal-Marts! I have seen zilch on the shelves.

Back on topic, I did read this thread for a reason after all, thank you for the info on some of the vendors folks :) Looks like my first gun show visit should warrant some ammo purchase granted I get there early enough... *prepares the racing gloves*

Noblesville had both 9mm and .380 in stock this past weekend.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    1. Stay away from the blue box reload stuff that's prevalent there, it's crap.
    2. If they don't allow you to open the box to examine the ammo, don't buy it (Do ask them in front of them, open it in front of them, not just show up and start opening boxes). We've had alot of ammo show up to our range where it was labeled as WWB or a high end JHP, open it, it's Tula. Lots of scammers there.
    3. Don't buy anything from the Brass Kings unless it's brass (empty, for reloading). Their bagged ammo is junk.

Yes, some folks will come on here and say it's okay, "I've never had any issues with the blue box or Brass kings ammo" but then again, I've had alot of range customers that will argue otherwise. :twocents:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville

Check the "get your ammo here!" thread in the Ammo section of INGO. It's a sticky on top of the page.

I posted in there earlier this week - Southport had at least 15 boxes of 100rd WWB 9mm a few days ago. Likely sold out now, but that's where we post.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    2. If they don't allow you to open the box to examine the ammo, don't buy it (Do ask them in front of them, open it in front of them, not just show up and start opening boxes). We've had alot of ammo show up to our range where it was labeled as WWB or a high end JHP, open it, it's Tula. Lots of scammers there.
    3. Don't buy anything from the Brass Kings unless it's brass (empty, for reloading). Their bagged ammo is junk.

Yes, some folks will come on here and say it's okay, "I've never had any issues with the blue box or Brass kings ammo" but then again, I've had alot of range customers that will argue otherwise. :twocents:

That's interesting. I'm one of those guys who has never had issues with the blue box stuff, but this makes me think twice.

What issues have your customers had with it? I don't want to be spending my money on junk.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    As far as Walmarts go, I've not been able to catch any 9mm in stock in Greenfield for a couple of weeks now. I've also checked the first 5 or 6 online places that we all know, sold out there as well.
    I do appreciate the tip on the 'get your ammo here!' sticky in the ammo section of INGO - I didn't realize that was there. Appreciate it!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    That's interesting. I'm one of those guys who has never had issues with the blue box stuff, but this makes me think twice.

What issues have your customers had with it? I don't want to be spending my money on junk.

Split casings (before and after discharge), ammunition not sized correctly (ammo having glock guppy belly on brass that was not sized out and would not chamber correctly), some had horrific variation in the loads (boom, bang, bang, BOOM!, etc...). Buyer beware, all I have to say.

Most folks that I have seen that said no problems had a sample size of one box, I've seen hundreds show up to our range with issues.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    You will never find ammo in bulk at the 1500 for the same price you can get it for from several online vendors. I would recommend never buying ammo at a gun show.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    You will never find ammo in bulk at the 1500 for the same price you can get it for from several online vendors. I would recommend never buying ammo at a gun show.

I am looking for 5.56 in 62 grain and heavier.....cant find it online.

I plan on getting some JHP at the show and I agree with others here,

The yellow "AMMO" sign guy seems to have good deals

Please correct me if I am wrong

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    It's gonna be damn high, all of it. If it is even there? The middle man always makes the most money. If the big ammo sellers can get supply from their distributors, they will definitely pass the cost on down the line. Good luck to anyone trying to find any. Better get there Fri. because anything that is there will probably be gone by Sat. morning.

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    223/5.56 ammo will be insane if there is any, that's an absolute certainty. Now maybe, just maybe a guy could score some 22-250 or 308 decent, but I wouldn't get your hopes up there either.

I've never found shows or auctions to be better priced than online, even INCLUDING shipping OR tax....I have never understood that.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I am looking for 5.56 in 62 grain and heavier.....cant find it online.

I plan on getting some JHP at the show and I agree with others here,

The yellow "AMMO" sign guy seems to have good deals

Please correct me if I am wrong

Good luck finding 5.56 anywhere for the next 2-3 months. There will be very little of it at the 1500 and what little is there will be gone on Friday for ridiculously high prices.

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    I'll be there when the show opens (or shortly after), I took the day off. I'm not looking to buy a huge amount of bulk ammo, I'd just like to get 500 or so to get me through until some of the CNN-driven hysteria settles down.

Besides the ammo, I'll check out any SIG swag that is there, and maybe holsters for either of the firearms I own, IF I spot any lefty ones.

If nothing else, I'll be there for the entertainment value since it's my birthday. :D

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012

I wouldn't make a blanket statment that the blue box reload is crap. While I don't know the gentleman's name, he usually has several tables of reloads in blue boxes, my sons and I over several years have purchased a great number of reloads from him and never had any problems

Top Bottom