• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Why ANY Potential Weapons Ban Will Affect You (Hunter, Sport Shooter, Self Defense)
    2012 DECEMBER 22

By now I am sure everyone is aware that a new “Assault Weapons” (their words, not mine) Ban will be introduced by Dianne Feinstein at the start of the 2013 Congress.

You can see what the preliminary language of the bill is going to ban here.

I know many people, including some self identified supporters of the Second Amendment, are out there right now saying, “Who cares, this ban doesn’t affect me. It only goes after military weapons and assault rifles. I can hunt and defend my family just fine with my 30-06 rifle and my 9mm Glock.”

Well, wait a second, let’s look at just what could be banned under the new proposed law. Here is the wording that Feinstein is currently using on her website:
    “Stops the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of more than 100 specifically-named firearms as well as certain semiautomatic rifles, handguns and shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.”

I’m not sure many people realize just how far reaching that statement is.

Let’s break it down into a list that is a little easier to read.

Under Feinstein’s proposed bill, the following types of guns would be banned:

100 Specifically named firearms (we don’t know what these are yet)
    Handguns that can accept a detachable magazine (Glocks, Sigs, M&Ps, 1911 style pistols, Springfield XDs and the list goes one)
    Semi automatic rifles that can accept a detachable magazine (Ruger 10-22s, Ruger Mini 14, Ruger Mini 30, AKM pattern rifles, AR pattern rifles)
    Shotguns that can accepts a detachable magazine (No more Saigas)
    Fixed magazine fed semi automatic rifles that can accept more than 10 rounds
    Fixed magazine handguns (I’m not aware of any modern handguns besides revolvers that fit this category, but it’s there nonetheless)
    We aren’t just talking about 1 or 2 specific models of guns here. We’re talking about thousands of individual models that will no longer be available for purchase or transfer.

Decided you don’t need one of your Glock handguns anymore? Want to sell or pawn it to help with some bills? Sorry bud, that gun is yours forever. I suppose you could always turn the gun in to the government for destruction.

OK, so you only own 6 shot revolvers, pump shotguns that hold 5 rounds, and a bolt action hunting rifle. You’re good to go, right? Why should you throw your hat in the ring with these other gun owners? You don’t even believe in those semi automatic doohickies anyway.

What do you think is going to happen once all of the semi-autos are more or less gone? Are crazy people going to stop killing other innocent people? No, they’re just going to change weapons. They are going to use lever action rifles and revolvers. THEN they will be coming after your hunting rifles, your bird shotguns, your target shooting guns, and the revolver you keep in your nightstand to make sure you can keep your family safe if evil kicks in your door at 3am.

Rest assured, when there are no more evil “assault weapons” to blame for senseless violence of crazy people your weapons will be next.

Supporters of gun rights, regardless of what type of weapons you own, should all band together to fight any new legislation that restricts gun ownership.

Some people may be too young to remember, or weren’t paying attention because the media wasn’t as powerful then, but back in 1986 gun owners made concessions to the anti-gun lobby in order to protect the future rights of gun owners. The Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 outlawed machine gun ownership for automatic weapons not manufactured and not registered after 1986. Many gun owners were completely fine with the legislation saying, “What would I need a full auto gun for? I have my semi-auto versions, which are cheaper anyway. Besides, they’re letting people keep the ones they have now, you’ll still be able to get one if you really want one.” However, over 25 years later automatic weapons are almost unattainable due to price and availability. Those same gun owners who were OK with keeping their semi-autos are now the same ones fighting for their rights to keep those weapons legal.

An attack on any part of the Second Amendment is an attack on the entire Second Amendment.

Top Bottom