• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    I'm looking to buff up on the American Revolution; the events leading up to it, the people involved, the battles, after the war, a timeline of events, things like that. What are some good books to buy and add to my bookshelf?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Amazon product ASIN 0553419323
    When you learn of the great Dr. Joseph Warren you may be shocked at how instrumental he was to our cause's beginning.

You've likely seen a Warren County, Warren St/Ave/Blvd and Town/Village/City of Warren in every State east of the Mississippi. After reading of his exploits, you'll find his legacy was well earned.

Washington, Franklin and Jefferson may be the recognizable Founding Fathers, but Dr. Warren was the "cool" Founding Uncle.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I'm looking to buff up on the American Revolution; the events leading up to it, the people involved, the battles, after the war, a timeline of events, things like that. What are some good books to buy and add to my bookshelf?

If you ever get the chance to do a Revere's Riders event.....take it!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Swamp Fox by John Oller was good for me.

It was established right away that the author would do his best to make the distinction between the folklore and known facts.

Oller politely points out the embellishments of other biographers and The Patriot movie that also is obviously sensationalized.

So I respected that.

But Francis Marion was instrumental and a great soldier. His story doesn't need to be hyped. Holler had written it according to truths he could find.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I LOVE this video/lecture. I lost track of how many times Ive watched it. Dave covers the day we truly became independent/ungovernable. April 19, 1775.

Funny thing... you can play "Spot the INGOers" in this video. I know of at least 5. (including me)

I also have a copy of a decent miniseries narrated by Charles Kuralt from what appears to be the early 90s. Its like 5 hours long. Its pretty good.

EDIT: Im not sure if its my PC or not, but you might need to rewind a bit. I dont see an timeline marker in the URL, but for me it starts well into the lecture so you might need to rewind if it doesnt start with a shot of the exterior of the war memorial.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    1652176403898.png

This one his particularly good. Written from a soldiers perspective. He intentionally keeps the overall politics out of the narrative. He was there doing the work.

Don

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Bill Orielly has at least 2 books killing England and then something about secrets

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I LOVE this video/lecture. I lost track of how many times Ive watched it. Dave covers the day we truly became independent/ungovernable. April 19, 1775.

Funny thing... you can play "Spot the INGOers" in this video. I know of at least 5. (including me)

I also have a copy of a decent miniseries narrated by Charles Kuralt from what appears to be the early 90s. Its like 5 hours long. Its pretty good.

EDIT: Im not sure if its my PC or not, but you might need to rewind a bit. I dont see an timeline marker in the URL, but for me it starts well into the lecture so you might need to rewind if it doesnt start with a shot of the exterior of the war memorial.

Thanks for sharing

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

That Dave guy must be some kind of real patriot. I wonder if he can shoot too or does he just talk?

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have a degree in American history, wife was a HS History teacher for 40 years. We are both interested in the Revolutionary War/ Civil War eras and visit as many significant sights as possible. Our discussions get a little arcane as we drive around. I have too many books about the subject and keep finding more. :dunno::dunno:

Don

Top Bottom