• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Spotting .223 hits in a black bullseye at 200 yards requires a scope with at least an 80 mm front lens with a 20-60 zoom eyepiece and then still needs the right light conditions.
    If you use a target that simply has an orange aiming point on a white background it is much easier to see hits. Konus makes a decent scope that fits the requirement.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'll check those out. I saw some vortex non-hd for around 329.

I'm also wondering if a set of binoculars could pull double duty as a spotting scope.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have a konus, very solid unit. Look at Creedmoor sports for a good spotting scope stand. Don't cheap out.
    No a great pair of binoculars will not be the same as a good spotting scope

Reactions: Leo

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This will get you started. At least out to 100, maybe 150 and wont break the bank. I usually hang out 100 and below, so this works well for me. You will want to replace the tripod with a fluid head, or ideally a telescope tripod with an equatorial or altazimuth mount nt so you can turn knobs to fine tune. Not a REQUIREMENT for fine tuning, but much easier than bumping till you get it where you need it. Im looking to upgrade mine with that type of mount.

Amazon product ASIN B07KFTV8WM
    But if you can swing it, go Vortex. Alan will take good care of you.

EDIT: and if you are a member at Proteq, let me know and I'll be glad to meet up there for you to coonfinger.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Anyone have a suggestion on a decent spotting scope for the range? Just want to be able to spot hits at 100-200 yards.
    A trick I used to do for a 200 yard target was to loosely staple a white plastic trash bag behind the target. The hole in the paper would be nice, clean and round, but the bag would kind of melt through. That made enough white visible through the hole so you would see it with a decent 20 powder spotting scope.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A trick I used to do for a 200 yard target was to loosely staple a white plastic trash bag behind the target. The hole in the paper would be nice, clean and round, but the bag would kind of melt through. That made enough white visible through the hole so you would see it with a decent 20 powder spotting scope.
    Awesome thanks for sharing.

I'm going to try this next time I get to shoot 200+ yards.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Spotting .223 hits in a black bullseye at 200 yards requires a scope with at least an 80 mm front lens with a 20-60 zoom eyepiece and then still needs the right light conditions.
    If you use a target that simply has an orange aiming point on a white background it is much easier to see hits. Konus makes a decent scope that fits the requirement.

I'm going to say that's going to vary wildly based on glass quality. I've seen details and things with 3 power scopes that I couldn't resolve with 20 power scopes.

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    my gun club range only goes out to 100 yds so I get by with a cheap $50 Bushnell, but that was 25 years ago, don`t know current price. I use binos for closer range with large pistol calibers .40 .38 etc

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have another rifle with a 4-16 on it. I should have thought to bring that along last time. Might have saved me a bunch of walking.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I have a Celestron ($229 on amazon). It is fine for 100-125 yards but I have not tried beyond that and I doubt it would be good enough for 200yds.

1695668157409.png

I mounted it on a cheap ($100) equatorial tripod with a camera adapter (my Celestron does not have the smartphone adapter) where I can watch target on the camera live lcd screen.
    CELESTRON_CAMERA.JPG

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom