• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I'm looking for the above descriptors in a rifle. I'd love something cheap, but good. I know of .22s and whatnot, but I'd like something with enough umph to take down a deer or larger game that's cheap enough to acquire. I want cheap, but good quality and prefer American made. I'm not familiar with rifles, but one I can get multiple barrels for that can handle a couple of different calibers would be awesome as well. Thoughts?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    pudly is right, it would be tough to beat a nice Mossberg or Remington shotgun for your described use. Seems like when you cant find any ammo there is always shot gun shells an slugs on the shelves..... Plus would do all your stated uses very well. With the exception of the weight of the gun an ammo, would be tough to beat I would think. Or an AR would be a good choice as far as rifles go.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    You could get a single shot 12 or 20 gauge to take down bigger game, and then you could get an insert for .22lr or 9mm for smaller stuff. There was a guy on here that did a build up and review on one he put together. If I find the link I will post it.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    NEF Handi Rifle is what you have described.

I'd get a Remington 870 with interchangeable choke tubes first. If you are only going to have one gun, that's what it should be.

But if you want a rifle and interchangeable barrels, american made.... That's an NEF Handi-Rifle and they are an excellent value for the money.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would get an M1A in .308. The M1A is ideal for all four missions that you have specified.

Survival/Prep/Defense/Offense is what I look for when choosing my rifles too. Although I also look at some other factors.

The M1A or the FN-FAL or the G3 in .308 are all cheap. You can get any of them for less than $2,000. They are all a tremendous value.

Any Military bolt action rifle will also fit the bill and at a somewhat lower cost.

If I gave one of my children a $200 commercial rifle to defend their life and the lives of their families I would never be able to sleep at night.

Last edited:

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I would get an M1A in .308. The M1A is ideal for all four missions that you have specified.

Survival/Prep/Defense/Offense is what I look for when choosing my rifles too. Although I also look at some other factors.

The M1A or the FN-FAL or the G3 in .308 are all cheap. You can get any of them for less than $2,000. They are all a tremendous value.

Any Military bolt action rifle will also fit the bill and at a somewhat lower cost.

If I gave one of my children a $200 commercial rifle to defend their life and the lives of their families I would never be able to sleep at night.
    HAHA! awesome. Guy wants a cheap rifle, and you suggest an M1A or an fal. Get a mosin nagant and be done with it. Spend 130 on the rifle and a couple cases of ammo... SHOOT THAT AMMO, and you'll be more effective with that old bolt action than most are with their ar 15s. There is a difference between inexpensive and cheap sloughfoot, you would do well to learn the difference.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My life and the lives of my children are worth more than $200.

You are free to live your life your way.

My post is not a joke post. I truly believe that a quality firearm may be needed for the serious business we are talking about.

I did mention military bolt action rifles as an alternative to the Military style semi-autos.....

I always demand quality. No matter the cost.

Last edited:

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Like I said.... Whatever you get, practice with it, a lot, and it will get the job done when you need it to. Buy an expensive rifle that shoots expensive ammo, chances are very good, if you're the average guy, that you won't shoot it much. Doesn't matter what you have if you can't hit what you're aiming at.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Like I said.... Whatever you get, practice with it, a lot, and it will get the job done when you need it to. Buy an expensive rifle that shoots expensive ammo, chances are very good, if you're the average guy, that you won't shoot it much. Doesn't matter what you have if you can't hit what you're aiming at.

Can't argue with this. Right on brother.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Shotgun is a great place to start, but I also agree that you can't go wrong with a well-maintained Mosin Nagant. Both the gun and ammo are cheap and plentiful.

TheWiredFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    You might have to define 'inexpensive' more specifically. $800 for an AR is 'cheap' compared to the $2500 ones. A mosin is $200, but is a very different animal than a cheap AR. A shotgun is $300-400ish, and is also very different.

My answer to your question is:
    An AR15 is very modular. If you are capable, you can change barrels on an AR.
    You can pick up a 300BLK AR - specifically the S&W M&P15-300Whisper for just under $1000, or the M&P 15 Sport for $740.
    You can then buy the other barrel after market, along with a 458 Socom barrel.
    This gets you:
    223 / 556 (cheap-ish ammo)
    300BLK / 300 Whisper (packs more punch, defense)
    458 Socom (hunting)
    AND they all use the same magazines.

Overtime, you could pick up 'upper' parts and create three separate uppers that switch much faster than barrel changes (as money allows).
    But there are many answers to your question, mostly dependent on your (as of yet undefined) price range.

TheWiredFox

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    An all American made rifle that can be used for defense, taking deer sized game, and shtf scenario is a tall order. I opted for the Hi Point model 995. Ten shot 9mm, that sells used for $200-$300.

w001.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Certainly a 100 to 150 yard weapon like a slug barrel shotgun or a pistol caliber has it's place, but there are lots of times that will not get you game and will allow an enemy to get way too close. In flatlands it is pretty hard to get closer than 300 plus yards to a deer. I also do not want a 150 yard weapon when my enemy has a 350 yard rifle. A 5MOA rifle is generally effective at 150 yards but is not the tool for 300-400 yards. An accurate (1 to 1.5 MOA) .308 with which you have been well trained and practiced seems like a more "proper" tool. I competed in rapid fire matches using a bolt action (a sweet model 70) against semi auto rifle shooters for years. I won quite a few events pumping that bolt. Do not rule out a good stripper clip fed bolt action in the hands of a practiced rifleman. Admittedly the development of that skill is a long and steep slope, but certainly obtainable. I was certainly not the best. I have not been around Camp Atterberry for a match in years, but I was there when Mitch Maxberry set a longstanding course record---with a bolt action. No tacticool gear, just a skilled rifleman.

I think old Sloughfoot is on the mark. My life is worth the price of an M1a Supermatch. I wish I had not sold it. Maybe it is time to go shopping.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I'm looking for the above descriptors in a rifle. I'd love something cheap, but good. I know of .22s and whatnot, but I'd like something with enough umph to take down a deer or larger game that's cheap enough to acquire. I want cheap, but good quality and prefer American made. I'm not familiar with rifles, but one I can get multiple barrels for that can handle a couple of different calibers would be awesome as well. Thoughts?
    <br>
    <br>
    in answering this question i think you need to break your guidelines down further. <br>
    <br>
    survival: <br>
    <br>
    stationary: allows for more freedom in caliber choice since the rifle will likely only be carried short distances a few miles or so with the opportunity to resupply at your structure. bullet weight rifle weight and rounds carried matter less since you can carry what you need not all you have. <br>
    <br>
    on the go: makes weight an issue for both the rifle and the ammo since there is no "home base" to restock from. so you will need a standard calliber ie. 12ga 22 9mm ect that you will be able to scavenge from the area you are moving through. <br>
    <br>
    prep i feel is a budget deal buy what you can afford to shoot regularly without detracting from you other supply budgets.<br>
    <br>
    defense:

Last edited:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Choose two, if you're lucky:
    Cheap
    Good quality
    American made

If you want a survival rifle for harvesting game for sustenance and VERY limited self-defense, pretty much any bolt action will suffice...even a 22LR.

If you want a fighting rifle capable of extended range engagements against hostile threats, get a competent, RELIABLE, semi-auto fighting rifle with appropriate ammunition.

If you want something equally suited for both purposes, prepare for lots of compromise (cost/weight/size/ammo availability/range capability/noise signature/etc). Remember, a jack of all trades is a master of none.

Obviously there are lots of 308 advocates, but I personally think a 1:7 16" AR15 shooting 77gr ammunition with a good 1-4x (up to 3-9x) optic to be an optimal blend of size, power, ammo availability, cost, and WEIGHT.

Top Bottom