• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Looking for a good cheese shop. Preferably in central Indiana south of Indy or in the Lafayette area.

I'm in need of a larger selection than grocery stores carry. Thought I'd give local business a try before ordering online.

Larger the selection the better, but it's important that the cheese monger be knowledgeable. I'm rather new to the larger world of cheese and need help on recommendations.

BogWalker likes his blues creamy and his cheddar crunchy.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Jungle Jims is a fantastic place, but I was hoping to not have to make such a drive.

Looks like there's a Fresh Thyme store in Lafayette, and their sales flyer has a decent selection on it. Several cheddars, gruyere, havarti. I'll have to see if the buses run by there.

The dining courts here at Purdue have started stocking little pre-packed things of cheese curds. Not real squeaky but very good. A lot of the school convenience stores also have Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheddar single serves for sale.

To have tasted the 40 year cheddar that was discovered a couple of years back. That would have been marvelous.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Love Jungle Jim's. If ever out near Canton, take a cooler and hit up Heini's Cheese Chalet in Amish country. They let you taste test every single type of cheese they have. I think you can order online and have it shipped also.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Looks like there's a Fresh Thyme store in Lafayette, and their sales flyer has a decent selection on it. Several cheddars, gruyere, havarti. I'll have to see if the buses run by there.
    Their store-brand sharp cheddar is pretty decent for a daily cheese. My daughter and I go through a block a week.

Fair Oaks Farms has some pretty good 10-year stuff.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I know this may sound silly, but has your local Kroger store recently remodeled by chance? The one in Clarksville did, and they now have a fantastic selection of cheese from around the world.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    A great local place here in Indy is Goose the Market. Goose the Market. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

they also make a killer sandwich. Try The Batali it awesome. Bon Appétit Magazine named it one of the best sandwich shops in America.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I know this may sound silly, but has your local Kroger store recently remodeled by chance? The one in Clarksville did, and they now have a fantastic selection of cheese from around the world.

The remodeled Kroger's have a legit cheese section now. Probably 100 different kinds of all different tastes.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't know a place around Indy that compares to Humbird Cheese in Tomah, Wisconsin.

HOME - Humbird Cheese Mart

My family has been going there for over 60 years.
    EXCELLENT cheese

We always stop there on our trips to the NW Wisconsin cabin.

They take ONLINE ORDERS too.

I was just there a couple of weeks ago and got my favorite, 5, 6, and 7 year old Sharp Cheddar.

But they have all kinds of other cheeses too.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I know this isn't in the area, but I go to Mars Cheese Castle near Kenosha, WI about once a month. They have a great cheese selection, a bar/deli on sight, and you can pick up a 6 pack of Spotted Cow there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know a place around Indy that compares to Humbird Cheese in Tomah, Wisconsin.

HOME - Humbird Cheese Mart

My family has been going there for over 60 years.
    EXCELLENT cheese

We always stop there on our trips to the NW Wisconsin cabin.

They take ONLINE ORDERS too.

I was just there a couple of weeks ago and got my favorite, 5, 6, and 7 year old Sharp Cheddar.

But they have all kinds of other cheeses too.
    Oh yeah! We always used to stop there when I was a kid on our way up to Canada. I wondered if they were still there. :)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    33F1B06F-CFD9-496F-9630-EBBFCFDF6275_zpshuwrk7re.jpg

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    You are making me hungry. I just made a scrambled egg, black forest ham, cracked pepper, irish butter, helmans mayo, dill relish, baby swiss cheese breakfast burrito. With a Coke.

Top Bottom