• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    So, my I talked my dad into getting his LTCH. He usually carries his Winchester Model 94 30-30 on his hunting property (800 acres). He has become nervous with the fact that there are houses outlining his property and he walks all over...he doesn't want the potential for any bullets to cross the property line. I know that common sense says just watch where you shoot and the proximity to where you take aim. However, I took advantage of this opportunity to convince him to get his LTCH. So my question is...he does a lot of work and spends a lot of time out there and he is wanting a good handgun that will serve as defense and something that he can use in case of any wild dogs or coyotes come out.

He stated that he doesn't want anything with a long barrel, like 6 inches, and something that he can carry easily. I have never had any experience with this kind of situation but I recommended either a .357 magnum, .44 magnum or 10 mm hand gun. Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to caliber and even a specific model I should steer him too?

Thanks. :ingo:

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    A 1911 for most would work. I carry one every time I hunt and have killed many coyotes with it. I feel like whatever he is most comfortable with he will shoot the best. I shoot great with a 1911, my dads favorate gun is a detective special, he shoots that great, and my wife loves walther, anything of thiers in her hand can be deadly. Tell him to get what is comfortable, it works.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    in case of any wild dogs or coyotes come out.
    Dogs sometimes equal a dog pack. Skip the revolvers. Hi cap gun of any caliber he can shoot well. 10mm would be a great choice.

For just walking I like a compact gun like a Glock 19 in 9mm on my belt or in a fanny sack designed for carry. If I am doing a lot of outdoor work like hours of chainsaw work I go to a Glock 21 (.45) in a drop leg holster. But the drop leg is less than ideal all day long or for driving/jumping in and out of the truck. In that case a shoulder harness can be nice.

A good gun with multiple ways to carry it is a good solution. Works for me. Also, a 3 gun case is good truck kit. I put an AR, shotgun and handgun in one with mags for AR and handguns, ammo belt for the shotgun. I have used a Blackhawk case for years and the pistol "holster" in their bag is on velcro and that can be taken out and put in my 511 vest, also in the truck gear.

Last edited:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    He could also get a pistol caliber carbine, like a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 or Beretta CX4 Storm. Or even a pistol caliber AR from CMMG or Olympic Arms.

Or....how about a pistol caliber lever action? He is already familiar with the platform, so it would be an easy transition. Tons of good choices like Henry, Uberti, Winchester, Marlin, Rossi, Puma...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    For me it would be a TC contender in the pickup in a yote caliber like 222 or 17 HMR with scope. I would use a round that was fairly explosive if worried about the nieghbors. I am a little bias here. coyotes never stay handgun close to me for over 15 seconds but often look back at 100 yards or stop and watch me for a minute.

For those two legged critters anything i owned and wanted to carry.

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Thanks guys. Your input has been really helpful. My dad is somewhat stubborn and just the fact that I convinced him to get his LTCH was a job well done. I told him that his rifle would probably be more realistic when it came to varmints and small game, however, he insists on a handgun. He is 50 and has already had back surgery so I figure that carrying a rifle all day probably causes him to fatigue easier.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    How about a Ruger LC9, easy to carry all day, & still packs a punch.

index.html

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I'd go with a Ruger Mk III 22, its accurate as all get out and me and my dad have killed plenty of coyotes with it. Sure a larger caliber works too but unless you have coy dogs, you won't need much else cause a 22 will bounce around inside their rib cage and tear em up all nice a purdy like lol

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Coyotes are small dogs. A 9mm handgun (G19/G17) would do just fine if he needed to dispatch a dog.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I would guess the range stated at 20 yards is unrealistic. If a ferral dog with intent to harm is within 20 yards of my position, its way too damn close. I say ferral dog because most likely coyotes may stumble around a woodline close to you, but will most likely retreat hastily at the presence of a man. Ferral dogs are much bolder as usually at one time was under human ownership. This boldness also makes them extremely dangerous. I thought the FN 5/7 was an excellent suggestion and good to 50 yards easily plus light weight but very expensive. I was thinking 9mm for a better 40 to 50 yard gun over .45acp.

The Kel Tec that is almost a FN clone but half the price and shoots .22 magnum would be awesome. Somebody help me out with a model.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Thanks guys. Your input has been really helpful. My dad is somewhat stubborn and just the fact that I convinced him to get his LTCH was a job well done. I told him that his rifle would probably be more realistic when it came to varmints and small game, however, he insists on a handgun. He is 50 and has already had back surgery so I figure that carrying a rifle all day probably causes him to fatigue easier.
    Wholly crap, I am 48 and I posted in a thread where some kid wants to figure out what his old man may want to carry? And he is only 2 years :oldwise: older then me!

No back issues here but the simple fact is the long gun (with a sling) is always in, on, or leaned against the truck or a tree while you work and you are NEVER just 3 steps away from it. You don't grab a long gun every time you jump out of the truck. He is right, handgun first. It will be with him.

Dog packs, meth cookers and poachers all run in packs and are sneaky. Coyotes won't likely kill him.

Top Bottom