• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    If you need to shoot the critter, be careful. I watched a german shepherd take three .357 rounds before going down.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    the FN 5.7 is the best for coyotes. It's actually a 223 short. Killed several with it. Mag holds 20 rounds.

Last edited:

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    abrewer15, I'm sure your dad is proud of you for being concerned enough about his safety that you would seek out advice as to which tool would be best for him to protect himself and his neighbors. I'm a little older than your dad and I sometimes seek advice from my son, we have a great relationship and I respect his opinion. I'm sure it is comforting to your father to know that if you are this concerned about him in his fifties, he will be in good hands in his eighties.
    It is my opinion and only my opinion, I like revolvers, S&W 686s to be specific, I would carry a revolver or a pistol on my hip and a couple of speed loaders or magazines on my other hip. I think a .357 or 9mm would be very effective. Also, keep that 30-30 in the truck.
    Whatever you and your dad decide, spend some time with him burning up some ammo, maybe set up some gallon milk jugs filled with water, it's good practice and about the right size target for a coyote.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    What about the Kel-Tec PMR 30... 30 rounds of 22 Mag in a pistol

I know several people who have Kel-Tec's. They jam often. The guys that carries the pocket 380 say it jams a couple of times when shooting a box. I will not carry a gun that jams often. For self defense get a good quality handgun.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Jamming was a problem with the early pmr's. From what i have seen they are reliable as long as you follow kel-tecs instructions on loading the magazine.

But you are correct as a carry gun I would look for something else, but as a gun to carry in the woods or out on the property it would be really potent against wild dogs and coyotes

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Two of my favorites for all day, working in the woods carry would be my S&W 442, or my Glock 26. Either one is plenty accurate to hit 'yotes out to 25 yards, further with a little practice, and should be enough to put one down.
    I have, and do carry a 1911 at times, but when I am cutting firewood, ounces on the belt matter, and the 442 is the lightest CCW that I am comfortable with for that duty. My LCP may be a bit lighter, but the accuracy for me just isnt there past 10 yards or so.

My AR or AK is usually with me, or in the truck when I am nearby, for those two legged variety of varmints one may run across in the woods.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hard to beat a good revolver for as a working gun. A 3" barrel Ruger SP101 or S&W model 60 would be a great choice. Even better would be a 4" service revolver in .38 special or .357.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I would have to agree with all the Glock 10mm talk, I really like my 29 and will have a 20 soon enough. I also agree with a GP100.

fisherg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Osceola
    I have the same issue- needed a gun to take out coyotes but couldn't risk excessive bullet carry. Settled on a 9mm- got a Hi-Point carbine. I have 5 acres so carry weight isn't an issue

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Anything that will work on two legged critters will work on the four legged ones that populate our state.

Springfield XDm 3.8" in 9mm, 40 S&W or .45 ACP.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Jamming was a problem with the early pmr's. From what i have seen they are reliable as long as you follow kel-tecs instructions on loading the magazine.

But you are correct as a carry gun I would look for something else, but as a gun to carry in the woods or out on the property it would be really potent against wild dogs and coyotes

+1 for the PMR-30. This is one of the most pleasurable guns to shoot I've found in 45 years of shooting handguns. New .22 WMR loads from Sierra (Gold Dot Short Barrel Hollow Point) and Hornady (Critical Defense) make the .22 WMR a viable handgun cartridge for a wide variety of uses. I'd still prefer something bigger for personal defense, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for that purpose if it was all I had available to me. :twocents:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    +1 for the PMR-30. This is one of the most pleasurable guns to shoot I've found in 45 years of shooting handguns. New .22 WMR loads from Sierra (Gold Dot Short Barrel Hollow Point) and Hornady (Critical Defense) make the .22 WMR a viable handgun cartridge for a wide variety of uses. I'd still prefer something bigger for personal defense, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for that purpose if it was all I had available to me. :twocents:

I like the 5.7 idea. One of the FN carbines would be cool but the handgun should suffice. If I was hunting coyotes on purpose it would be a contender in .223, .222 or maybe .22 Khornet.

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    If you got 1,000 new or about 850 used, get a 5.7. Fabulous gun... great shooter. If your budget is more limited, glock 17 will do the job and is rock solid.

Top Bottom