• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midwest207

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Indy
    I went Bow hunting in southern Indiana on state land this morning. I got there before daylight. I hadn't been there since last year and it has grown up so had a little trouble finding where I was hoping to hunt. I got close and set up my climbing tree stand and got situated. I was there a few hours and then heard this noise. Someones dog running around the woods barking. I don't think they were with the dog just the dog running around barking. Never saw it but pretty much knew that not much would be happening this morning or if it did I would be hitting a speeding target. I hung out awhile. I didn't want do run into this dog not knowing if it was a nice puppy or not. I finally got down and took a walk.

I have heard that the DNR is saying that this season should be the same number of deer taken as last year if not more. On my walk about I saw only a few tracks and no scrapes or rubs. There is a creek on this property with water about 6" deep by 4' across normally but today there was no water. Bone dry. I found 3 puddles and they we not anything to get excited about. So I was wondering if there were any deer in the wood or had they moved on to a place with water.

This area I think the dog didn't get to and there was a puddle there so I figured it is dry and warm, hunt the water hole. This was around 1:00.

I was there the rest of the day. It was a beautiful day. Not much going on except for the squirrels rastling in the leaves (which reminds me I need to get some judo points for the next time to improve my shooting and maybe get some dinner). I noded off a time or two. I was thinking I wasn't going to see anything at all then at 6:00 I heard a snort weeze. A deer out in front of me to the left on the other side of the valley across the creek. I had been busted and I wasn't moving or doing anything. This deer took off away from me snorting and weezing as he moved away. I quickly got my grunt call and gave it a go and then did the snort weeze back at him. It kept snorting and weezing as it moved away from me. A few minutes later I heard a noise off to the right of me. I looked to see a deer going up that side of the valley away from me. So I did the grun/snort weeze and added doe in heat call. It stopped and then went back down the hill across the creek up that side of the valley almost exactly to where the other deer was. I ranged it and at all times it was 60 yards plus and in think cover. I kept the calling going and this deer didn't seem to mind it. Which is funny because the other deer spooked and ran and this one stuck around. This deer I could see it was a doe. I had thought maybe she might be interested and come into me. She stayed there for about a half hour and then disappeared. I am guessing the same path as the last deer, I couldn't tell.

Then I heard another noise from where she had come from and it was a coyote. Not just one but another and then another... I lost count. Figured a family about 6 or so. They ran down the hill to the creek bed and away from me. I remembered seeing a hunting show where the guy was hunting deer and saw a coyote and made this sucking noise on the back of his hand and called it in and killed it then went back for the deer. I figured I would give it a try. The deer were not coming so what the heck. I did that noise and one of them turned and headed to me and then stopped. Then turned back and rejoined the group. It was 7:15 and dark and I had a long way to the truck so I got down and made my way to the truck. I saw a few rabbits on the way in and on the way out. Which is surprising with the coyotes but good to see.

In the end I didn't get anything but saw a lot of animals (most in the last hour of the hunt) got some rest and it was a good day in the woods.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Little early for the old trusty doe in heat call as its still in the 70's but maybe it helped attract that herd of coyotes? Maybe the deer were really dressed in rabbit costumes...ooops still not even Halloween yet? Maybe a quart of estrus pee next weekend even though the rut is still a ways away. Still a day in the woods! Sorry I forgot the purple color for my sarcasm!

Midwest207

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Indy
    Little early for the old trusty doe in heat call as its still in the 70's but maybe it helped attract that herd of coyotes? Maybe the deer were really dressed in rabbit costumes...ooops still not even Halloween yet? Maybe a quart of estrus pee next weekend even though the rut is still a ways away. Still a day in the woods! Sorry I forgot the purple color for my sarcasm!

I would agree it is early for doe in heat but I was throwing it out there as a last ditch effort to see what happened.

Top Bottom