• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I had one particularly good day here in December. Started out a few hours in Kentucky until I harvested my bobcat then came back to Southern Indiana for some more coyotes.

This is one of the VERY few white coyotes I've seen dead or alive... she's a beauty!

Group1.jpg

WhiteCoyote.jpg

Bobcat.jpg

Finally got this picture off my phone.... took the cat at a distance of 8' from my gun barrel. Pretty exciting!

photobucket-5347-1334941880806.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    MtnBiker... that certainly wasn't intentional! LOL!

I setup on a steep ridge with my electronic caller and decoy about 10 yards to the right (out the ridge).

A few minutes into the stand I switched from a loud raspy sound to a high pitched squirrel distress. At that point I could hear something running. I looked out the ridge to my left but didn't see anything. Slowly panning my head back to the right, I saw a bobcat SPRINTING straight at me... which meant it had to assend up a 60-80' cliff.

Like a dufus, I sat there motionless as the cat went out of sight while it climbed the steep grade. That's when I should've been preparing my rifle (which was sitting across my lap).

The next time I saw the cat, it hopped up onto the ledge about 12' from me and turned broadside. It walked a few yards until it was directly in front of me, broadside, 8' from the gun barrel, and it stopped. It stood there for 90 seconds staring at the caller as the sound loop played over and over (30 second intervals).

Finally it turned and looked down over the steep rocks, which seemed to be my SLIM opportunity to ready the rifle. Somehow it didn't see me as I swung the gun to my shoulder and looked down the side of the barrel to aim. I could see the white patches on the back of its ear tufts, steam rolling out to one side from it's breath, as I squeezed the trigger. The cat shot off it's feet about 6' in the air and crashed down over the rocks out of sight. I caught a glimpse of it as it streaked through the valley below... then 3 seconds later came sprinting back and crashed to the ground. Perfect lung shot, the exit was very difficult to find and couldn't have been much more than the 22cal that entered.

Heart pounding to say the least!

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    MtnBiker... that certainly wasn't intentional! LOL!

I setup on a steep ridge with my electronic caller and decoy about 10 yards to the right (out the ridge).

A few minutes into the stand I switched from a loud raspy sound to a high pitched squirrel distress. At that point I could hear something running. I looked out the ridge to my left but didn't see anything. Slowly panning my head back to the right, I saw a bobcat SPRINTING straight at me... which meant it had to assend up a 60-80' cliff.

Like a dufus, I sat there motionless as the cat went out of sight while it climbed the steep grade. That's when I should've been preparing my rifle (which was sitting across my lap).

The next time I saw the cat, it hopped up onto the ledge about 12' from me and turned broadside. It walked a few yards until it was directly in front of me, broadside, 8' from the gun barrel, and it stopped. It stood there for 90 seconds staring at the caller as the sound loop played over and over (30 second intervals).

Finally it turned and looked down over the steep rocks, which seemed to be my SLIM opportunity to ready the rifle. Somehow it didn't see me as I swung the gun to my shoulder and looked down the side of the barrel to aim. I could see the white patches on the back of its ear tufts, steam rolling out to one side from it's breath, as I squeezed the trigger. The cat shot off it's feet about 6' in the air and crashed down over the rocks out of sight. I caught a glimpse of it as it streaked through the valley below... then 3 seconds later came sprinting back and crashed to the ground. Perfect lung shot, the exit was very difficult to find and couldn't have been much more than the 22cal that entered.

Heart pounding to say the least!
    Wow, totally cool hunting story, the best varmint hunting story I have heard. Rarely are bobcats drawn in so close. The white coyote is really nice.

What caller were you using?

Terry

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks redskin!

Upon re-reading my posts... I omitted the fact that it was 18 degrees that morning. Also, the cat didn't turn down the hill... he just turned his head so I was really rolling the dice as I reached down to flip the safety off. Since I got away with flicking my thumb, I knew he didn't see me at all, so I continued with the full rifle swing. All I could think at that point was how my buddies were going to say "You should've known better than to try that!" but it just felt like the right thing to do! LOL!

I run a Wildlife Technologies caller. When targeting bobcats I use a mojo woodpecker decoy.

I have called in several bobcats on my hunts in Indiana over the years, along with plenty more in TX, NM and AZ. This is the closest I've ever had one, but these Indiana cats aren't too tough to call... anxious for a season on them!

EDIT: I have killed a handful of coyotes this close, two of which resulted in blood mist on my skin and clothing. One I could've extended my leg and touched as he expired. Coyotes often come in aggressively and cranked-up but this bobcat was very unique in many ways.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    That depends on the weapon I'm carrying at the time. My predator rifles range from .204's to 22-250's to 25WSSM's. All around favorite, a 45gr hollow point out of the 22-250. Versitile and consistant.

Top Bottom