Good gun choices for an intermediate shooter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wwheatley1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Hello, I am new here on the forum, so please put up with me here haha. So, I would consider myself an intermediate level shooter, I have had most of my experience with .308, 30-06, and 7.92x57 Mauser in rifles, and .45 ACP and some 9x18 Makarov. I was just wondering what some of you guys think would be a good gun to sort of branch out a bit, and break the norm, but still be within traditional platforms, such as AR, bolt action, or something else. Thanks alot! - Will

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    AR's are fun....you didnt list any shot guns in there so you could give those a go. Maybe with the shot gun try trap shooting??? maybe a pistol caliber carbine like a just right or a hi point or sub2000. a .22 is always a fun gun to play with so theres the 10-22 or the marlin 795 or remington or any number of others. The choices are endless:ar15:

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    Nothing beats a good ol' lever gun. Check out the Henrys, in .17 HMR, .22 and .22 mag, 30-30, .357 and .44 mag, and 45LC.

It all depends on what you like. Some guys like ARs, some guys like bolt action, and some guys (like me, who thinks I was born 100 years too late!) like the levers.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Look at a lever action or pump action (Lighting)in pistol calibers. If I hadn't played SASS I would not have bought one for anything. The .44wcf (.44-40) is a real hoot. I have Uberti, Rossi, and AFFA rifles and would not sell any of them and I don't play cowboy much anymore. Its fun hunting coyote with as you need them called in close but do they fold up when hit.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    As stated the choices are endless. I have countless guns but one of my favorite and most affordable is my S&W M&P 15-22. It feels likes an AR in size (much lighter). Being a .22 it's super cheap to shoot. You can shoot it nearly anywhere. Best part is it's under $500.00 and pretty good quality. I bought mine to shoot at MCFG since no 5.56 or 7.62 allowed. But know I shoot 500 rounds a week through it. Iit's been a great gun.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Hello, I am new here on the forum, so please put up with me here haha. So, I would consider myself an intermediate level shooter, I have had most of my experience with .308, 30-06, and 7.92x57 Mauser in rifles, and .45 ACP and some 9x18 Makarov. I was just wondering what some of you guys think would be a good gun to sort of branch out a bit, and break the norm, but still be within traditional platforms, such as AR, bolt action, or something else. Thanks alot! - Will

Branch out a bit? There is a norm? Your question does not make a lot of sense to me. Sorry.

I am not a good internet guy I suppose. I don't know how to play the game.

How about you get a rifle and learn how to shoot it? Whatever kind of rifle is interesting to you. Not too exciting, but isn't that what it comes down to?

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Nothing beats a good ol' lever gun. Check out the Henrys, in .17 HMR, .22 and .22 mag, 30-30, .357 and .44 mag, and 45LC.

It all depends on what you like. Some guys like ARs, some guys like bolt action, and some guys (like me, who thinks I was born 100 years too late!) like the levers.
    YES, all of the above, or how about a SA revolver... Like a Ruger ....

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    AR-15 chambered in 300blk...traditional yet you will find yourself intrigued by all it has to offer in SBR work and suppressed work...:twocents:;)

Top Bottom