• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ricochet22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Pssst, over here
    I went with the 20 guage Mossberg 920. The 26" barrel is probably too long to be termed HD but anyone in my household can use it. Not a big believer in the fact that a noise/sound is going to have an effect but putting one in the chamber on this little puppy sure sounds good to me.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I don't get the "sound of the action" thing either. Who goes down an empty dark hall with an unloaded gun ? It's equivalent to saying the sound of a magazine being slammed into a Glock scares people.. I agree, it's only if you missed. and by that time I'm guessing he already needs a new pair of shorts.
    You are aware the sound made by the slide action on a pump shotgun is quite possibly the most unmistakable sound in the history of the human race? It is not equivalent to the sound of a magazine being loaded into a Glock (or any other semi-auto) not is it the equivalent action (loading a magazine does not mean a round is chambered, plus the slide on a semi-auto handgun isn't near as loud.)
    No other sound on this planet gets everyone's attention the way a slide on a pump shotgun does. Ask around.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You are aware the sound made by the slide action on a pump shotgun is quite possibly the most unmistakable sound in the history of the human race? It is not equivalent to the sound of a magazine being loaded into a Glock (or any other semi-auto) not is it the equivalent action (loading a magazine does not mean a round is chambered, plus the slide on a semi-auto handgun isn't near as loud.)
    No other sound on this planet gets everyone's attention the way a slide on a pump shotgun does. Ask around.

This is not a movie. :rolleyes:

Hogie08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    You mean what happens in movies isn't real?? We should start a tv show dedicated to busting these myths. I'm thinking our slogan should be "If its worth doing, its worth overdoing."

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Two things, first why do so many non tacticool people bash those who choose to do it to their guns? Clearing a house or whatever can be done so much easier with a collapsible pistol grip stock. You can hold it with one hand while opening doors. Plus they are usually shorter so helps moving through rooms. Second the whole shotgun racking sound is a little silly. Keep your shotgun loaded, don't give away the only advantage you have in your home and that is place of concealment.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    That's a stretch to say the action sound of a pump gun is "universal". I'd probably be safe in saying that 99% of the people in the world HAVE NOT HEARD it.Unless of course you count movies where the sound is amplified for effect and even then the number is probably above 90%.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    So, you want to stand in front of my Judge?

No, I didn't think so.
    If I am going to stand in front of any gun, the Judge would be my first choice.

The concept of the gun was developed first by their Marketing staff. Even they admit the gun is total technical compromise. It has to be because the laws of physics say the absolute worst thing you can do is put a spin on a shot column. In order to not destroy the pattern the rifling has to be tweaked. No matter what it does, another gun does it better. It is what it is but certainly it is not magic.

Then there is ammo cost.

As I was taught, if you need buck, you need a lot of it. If you need slugs, same thing. The only people who really benefit from alternate loading are in bear country.

Now, I have messed around with shot in handguns a bit too, since 1977 so I have some experience with it as well. It is amazing the things you can fail to kill, even at close range. Even with .44 magnum hot hotshots.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    well does anyone know what a good price is for one?
    The best value in an 870 would be a used Wingmaster. The days of $150 guns is long gone but $350 is the max I would go, preferring to keep it at $250. I prefer used Wingmaters over an express because you get triple the quality for the same price point as an Express. Only difference is the gun will be 20-40 years old and may only fire 2 3/4" ammo. Non issue for me on all counts. You may have to shop a bit to find the right gun.

If you get an Express, you can polish it up. You can also get guns with two barrel sets BUT pay attention, it possible both barrels can not really be what you want or need.

killshot500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    marion
    i traded my taurus for a remington 870 express feel like i got a good deal and already making my tactical shot gun should be done soon i hope

killshot500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    marion
    Good deal! Taurus doesn't make a gun I'd rather have than an 870.

i had to ad an extra 150 in cash but i felt like it was worth it my taurus was not reliable i felt if someone broke in that it would jam on me and could go wrong for me and my family but this remington is the best gun iv had so far

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    I made the mistake of buying a Mossberg Maverick just on price alone last black friday. After finding that the length of pull and the barrel length was inappropriate for me, i ended up adding a new barrel and stock to make it suitable for HD, nullifying any savings.

In retrospect I should have just picked the right one from the get go. Lesson learned.

Top Bottom