• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well after correcting my mistake on the 75gr Hornady A-max (another thread), I picked up some 75gr BTHP rounds.

Looking for anyone's favorite load with H335. Hodgdon's site recommens starting at 21gr and max of 23gr. I don't have a chrono (yet), so was curious if anyone had some load data that has worked best for them.

Both of my AR's are 16" 1x9 twist for reference.

So far the loads that have worked best for 55gr and 62gr projectiles in my AR's have been .2 to .3 gr below the Hodgdon max loads, so I'm expecting the sweet spot to be somewhere near the max load with these too.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Gotta find if that bullet will work in YOUR twist rifling. Some 1x9 can, other's cant... I have even seen same barrel manufacturers, same barrels where one could and the other couldn't!!! Also, in the hopes that a similar "toleranced" load for a lighter or heavier weight bullet being as accurate, not usually the case.

My fav load was (forgot OAL, please check it) 23gr even of AA2230. VERY accurate load, had enough oomph to cycle the AR reliably (pretty potent round too). Should have about 2700 fps plus depending on barrel length. I always lit them off with CCI's NATO or Winchester Small rifle primers, all military cases.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks for the info. 1-9 is listed as the minimum, but as you say it is right on the edge and may vary rifle to rifle.

Hope to load some this week yet and try them out this weekend.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have been using Alliant Reloder 15 with 77 gr. BTHP bullets and Varget with the Hornady 75 gr. BTHP bullets. Others like IMR 4895 and H4895. Some like TAC, too. I know that Hodgdon 335 is good with lighter bullets (under 69 grain). I use a 1:8" twist barrel with the heavier bullets.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Some of the other reading I've done suggests Varget and Tac as well. I went with a Hodgdon book load (21 starting, 22.6 max) for H335 with the 77 Sierra BTHP as a starting load for the Hornady 75g BTHP.

I think I'll pick up a pound of Varget this weekend and see how it does as well.

wind50cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Kentucky
    75 is gonna be too much for that barrel to stabilize well. Usually in a 1/9 the 69 grain SMK's shoot like a house on fire. Varget is a good choice as well as Re15. If you like Ball Pwders, try Western's TAC.
    The 223 is gonna want to be on the upper end of the powder scale, just watch for pressure signs as you work up. You'll find yourself at max charges is my guess!
    Favor the middle!
    wind50cal

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have shot thousands of 75's with max load of RE15. 24 grains is very accurate. I think H335 is not optimum for the bullet weight. It will work, I just think RE15 or Varget is better.:twocents:

75's usually stabilize in a 1:9 barrel. 77's usually won't. Load up a few and shoot them at 25 yards. They start tumbling right out of the muzzle if they are going to.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have shot thousands of 75's with max load of RE15. 24 grains is very accurate. I think H335 is not optimum for the bullet weight. It will work, I just think RE15 or Varget is better.:twocents:

75's usually stabilize in a 1:9 barrel. 77's usually won't. Load up a few and shoot them at 25 yards. They start tumbling right out of the muzzle if they are going to.

These have shot ok so far out of my 1:9 so far with H335. No tumbing or anything like that, and at 25 yds I can put 5 rounds within a 1" circle, which is equivalent to what I can shoot with my 55gr and 62gr reloads. Best 100yd groups were in the 2.5-3" range, so again, not bad, but certainly not stellar by any means at 25 or 100yds either.

I'm at around 22.5gr H335, but haven't had time to really try any other powders. Looks like some RE15 is also a good one to try.

The purpose of the rounds are somewhat dual purpose also. While I'm certainly interested in a decent long range round for punching holes in paper, I'm also interested in the defensive qualities as well. This bullet is similar to the Hornady 75gr TAP round (think Hornady has an upgraded projectile for its own ammo production that isn't available as a component.)

As with anyone that has the reloading bug, there is a certain amount of gratification that comes from developing and shooting your own ammunition, and the thrill of the accuracy chase is always there. I haven't even begun to start sorting my brass for a specific head stamp (most is LC from various years), and haven't played with crimping either.

Thanks for the input so far!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    How about 1/2 MOA at 100, 200, and 300 yards with mixed brass, Remington 7 1/2 primers, 75 bthp at 2.255 oal, and anywhere from 24 to 24.5 grains of reloader 15. This out of a krieger tight chambered match rifle with iron sights. It will also work out your loose chambered military style rifle.

Like the 308 in the M1A, loads for the AR .223 are pretty much set in stone. There really is not a lot of load development to be done that hasn't already been done. Thousands of high power competitors use basically the same load. Crimping is not a part of the equation...

Of course, start low and work up. But this is where you end up.

Load em' up and start shooting.

Regards.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom