• ...and so much more!
  • kingpin1779

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    near covington
    powder

i use w-w 231 works fine. 5.0 to 5.5 grains works out :ingo:. i have used bullseye with good sucess also. i probably will try unique when my supply of 231 runs out. hope that helps.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Clays works really well for all but heavy 45 loads. It shoots clean and has comparatively low recoil. It is somewhat inverse temperature sensitive, meaning loads will tend to shoot a little slower as ambient temperature increases.

W231/HP-38 works well too. It's slower burning, so there is more recoil, but it generates less pressure so you can work up hotter loads if that's what you're looking for. It meters better than Clays, and, in my experience, is more accurate. It is, however, extremely temperature sensitive - expect a noticeable drop in velocities in cold weather. I've chrono'ed an average difference of as much as 75 fps with the same load in different temperatures (20 vs 85 degrees outside).

I keep both powders on hand for the 45. Both are good in their own way.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    i have been a fan of TiteGroup. Mostly for the fact that in a few load books it was listed as the "accuracy load". It also has larger grains, so it goes a bit further than other powder and thus is cheaper.

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    I've been doing a 4.6 grain load with the TiteGroup that I have been liking a lot in my 1911.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Bullseye originally for me, 5.0 grains but I switched to Unique after finding a good deal on a 4# keg. I think I load 6.5 grains but would have to double-check to make certain. I load the Unique with 200 grain jacketed flat point from Montana Gold Bullet. My Glock 21 loves it!

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    i have been a fan of TiteGroup. Mostly for the fact that in a few load books it was listed as the "accuracy load". It also has larger grains, so it goes a bit further than other powder and thus is cheaper.

Mmmmm, no, it actually doesn't go further because of larger grains. Grains is a measure of weight, not size, and there are 7,000 grains in a pound, no matter what the particle size.

5gr of w231 is my favorite.

Last edited:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    since i'm not getting any answers in my other thread, i'll post it here also....

Ok guys i've decided to start with the most basic version, so is this EVERYTHING i'll need to start making ammo correct? (i have brass) I think i've got the right powder, primers, bullets, and dies. Is this everything i'll need? Do i have anything in there thats expensive and something else could be used?

Cabela's: Shopping Cart

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    since i'm not getting any answers in my other thread, i'll post it here also....

Ok guys i've decided to start with the most basic version, so is this EVERYTHING i'll need to start making ammo correct? (i have brass) I think i've got the right powder, primers, bullets, and dies. Is this everything i'll need? Do i have anything in there thats expensive and something else could be used?

Cabela's: Shopping Cart

Your link takes me to an empty cart. (probably my cart!)
    Post the list of items and I'm sure you'll get some responses

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Your link takes me to an empty cart. (probably my cart!)
    Post the list of items and I'm sure you'll get some responses

Items in your Shopping Cart will be saved on this computer for 30 days.
    To save items longer, add them to your Wish List.
    Change Currency: USD Currency: USD

Lee Carbide Pistol DiesItem : IK - 210545 CAL/GAUG:.45 ACPAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$29.99Sale:$25.99 each
    Price: $25.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View All Restrictions That May Apply

Lee Anniversary Reloading KitItem : IK - 216577 Availability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$109.99Sale:$99.99 each
    Price: $99.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View Item Notes

View All Restrictions That May Apply

Cabela's Case TumblerItem : IK - 212867 CAL/GAUG:MODEL 400Availability: In Stock Qty:

$49.99 each
    Price: $49.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item
    Cabela's Corn Cob Media with Brass PolishItem : IK - 214211 CAL/GAUG:6# CORN MEDIA&POLISHAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$14.99Sale:$13.99 each
    Price: $13.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View All Restrictions That May Apply

Magtech Bulk Bullets - Per 100Item : IK - 215350 CAL/GAUG:.45 ACP 230 GR FMCAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$23.99Sale:$21.99 each
    Price: $109.95 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View All Restrictions That May Apply

Remington® PrimersItem : IK - 210751 MODEL:2 1/2 LARGE PISTOLAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$34.99Sale:$32.99 each
    Price: $32.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View Item Notes

View All Restrictions That May Apply

Hodgdon Smokeless PowderItem : IK - 210742 MODEL:TITEGROUP 4LBAvailability: In Stock Qty:

$64.99 each
    Price: $64.99

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I like LEE dies myself. The decapping pin will push up thru the top if you get a berdan primer case. You might want to get the deluxe carbide set with the "factory crimp die". +Lee gives you a shellholder.

Order some extra Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings since the press comes with one, you'll want one for each of your dies. Once the dies are set you can quick change them for the different stages.

Before you buy your powder and primers, try check powdervalley.com I haven't ordered from them for two years, but they used to combine powder and primers for one hazmat fee.

Don't be afraid of the cheap "wolf" primers, I've used several thousand w/o any trouble.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I like LEE dies myself. The decapping pin will push up thru the top if you get a berdan primer case. You might want to get the deluxe carbide set with the "factory crimp die". +Lee gives you a shellholder.

Order some extra Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings since the press comes with one, you'll want one for each of your dies. Once the dies are set you can quick change them for the different stages.

Before you buy your powder and primers, try check powdervalley.com I haven't ordered from them for two years, but they used to combine powder and primers for one hazmat fee.

Don't be afraid of the cheap "wolf" primers, I've used several thousand w/o any trouble.

Isn't that what i have on there? Doesn't the die set include a crimp die?

Top Bottom