• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireman1328

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have a chance to buy some 7.62x39 steel core ammo for $125 for 500 rds. Is it worth it? I don't know what ammo it is, but it has a 270 and 39 stamped on the head.

Fire

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a chance to buy some 7.62x39 steel core ammo for $125 for 500 rds. Is it worth it? I don't know what ammo it is, but it has a 270 and 39 stamped on the head.

Fire
    The price is right, but I don't know about the head stamps. If it is from a reputable seller, I'd say yes.
    I just looked again, if that IS steel core, it's worth MUCH more than that!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sounds like it may be old Norinco ammo, pretty decent stuff and a good price at that. The pricing is about on par with good pricing on Wolf and others. People tend to mark the "steel core" stuff up due to the panic and the percieved image of "evil steel core".

All in all, steel core is a misnomer in the eyes of many folks. They think it will penetrate better, BS. It doesnt penetrate any better than regular lead core ammo, so it is inconsequential. The soft steel (yes, soft) core was a cost saving measure as at the time it was produced, very mild steel was cheaper than lead. People tend to think it will penetrate better which it doesnt, the steel is too soft. They confuse it with the HARDENED steel of the M855 projectile. Rant off. :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom