• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I don't know all the reasons, but in my years of gardening I've had more trouble at times with spinach than with about any other thing.

I do think I've done the best when I plant in early August for a fall crop. One year I even made a mini greenhouse over the raised bed the spinach was in and I picked spinach all through the winter.

The only time I have great success with spinach is when the soil is about 70/30 dirt to horse manure. I add the manure in the fall...till it up real good and let it winter. Plant the spinach and other greens in mid spring and they do pretty well. Years I did not re apply the manure, were years they didn't do well.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The only time I have great success with spinach is when the soil is about 70/30 dirt to horse manure. I add the manure in the fall...till it up real good and let it winter. Plant the spinach and other greens in mid spring and they do pretty well. Years I did not re apply the manure, were years they didn't do well.

I've been thinking about getting a couple of loads of horse manure this fall, and you probably just made my mind up for me.

I always compost lots of leaves, but I need to add manure to my mix.

Top Bottom