• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Just upgraded to Win 11 on my work laptop yesterday. Work had to push out a patched version to me as the standard install bombed twice for me. Finally have it working and I'm not impressed. Read yesterday that they'll start pushing ads soon. Screw that. We have enough ads we have to deal with I don't need it in my OS. I've been using Linux for years at home and love it. Way better than anything MS will ever release and more control for the end user.
    MS is one of the top Linux Kernel contributors. So by using Linux, you're using something released by MS :dunno:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    If little lying Todd "That weed isn't mine officer" Howard is still in charge, if it's not woke, it will likely be as soulless as Starfield.

Sure, crush my dreams... :tantrum:

One of the big reasons why I don't game any more.

MS is one of the top Linux Kernel contributors. So by using Linux, you're using something released by MS :dunno:

I don't know for sure, but I believe that is on the server side. I don't think MS has anything to do with the Linux Mint I use at home.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I will say that Macs are eons better than those stupid Chromebooks, where the program is streamed over the internet and ran at another site.

Macs are very well optimized and use some pretty cutting edge technology, such as ARM based 2 nanometer silicon. You will get more performance out of a Mac vs. Windows using a computer of the same hardware, just because Windows is poorly optimized.

However, this comes at the huge cost of compatibility, versatility, and price. Apple has created a specific brand of decent products, however they are way overpriced. Apple knows they have a cult following, so they'll sucker and dime you for every thing.

Compatibility is another huge issue. Almost no one in the enthusiast community runs a Mac, because they are nearly impossible to customize. Changing the CPU, changing the GPU, adding PCI-E Peripherals? Can't do that if most of it's integrated. Especially in the HEDP side of the community, Mac is a huge no go. For me to get a Mac that's roughly the same power as my home PC, I would have to spend almost 5 digits vs. the less than $2000 that I spent sourcing parts from surplus sites and Newegg. Also, Macs tend to have terrible cooling solutions compared to what you can put into a PC, though that mainly counts for desktops.

There are also issues with software compatibility and optimizations. With all of iOS's optimizations, it creates a higher bar for third party software companies to properly tune their programs to run on Mac. It's why many older games, as well as some current professional software, will not run on Mac, or if they do, it won't have the same capabilities as the windows version. The game GMod for example does not have proper multi-core optimization because it didn't play well with Macs for some reason.

In conclusion, there is no perfect computer system out there. Macs are decent systems, however they are not the perfect end all system that some make them out to be (not talking about those posting in the thread by the way). The company has really fallen from grace since Steve Jobs (even though Steve Wozniak probably had more to do with making a superior product as Jobs was kind of a scumbag), and even though I dislike both, I think I would rather deal with Microsoft.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI

I watch too much 21Kiloton. I used to love Bethesda until they betrayed my trust with the Creation Club BS and Fallout 76. I had serious doubts after Fallout 4, because even though Fallout 4 is a good game, IT'S A TERRIBLE FALLOUT GAME! :flamethrower:

Honestly I agree with the sentiment. I grew up playing games like Halo 3, the original Modern Warfare series, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, etc. The offerings now is like getting served saltines and tofu after a nicely seared sirloin with a side of wood grilled smoked salmon.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

I don't know for sure, but I believe that is on the server side. I don't think MS has anything to do with the Linux Mint I use at home.
    it's the kernel itself they contribute to, so the core functionality in all Linux distributions

MS starting contributing in 2016, and it looks like Linux Mint uses Kernel 5.15 which was released in 2021.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    it's the kernel itself they contribute to, so the core functionality in all Linux distributions

MS starting contributing in 2016, and it looks like Linux Mint uses Kernel 5.15 which was released in 2021.

Okay. It's still not absolute garbage with a side of ads like Windows, so I'll stick with Linux. If and when that changes, I'll have to decide what to do at that point. I guarantee if major privacy issues and ads show up in Linux, there will be forks or other distros that I can use that won't have those things, which is the main reason I'm done with Windows.

I'm not telling anyone else what to use, but I'll continue to use Linux on the desktop and Brave as my browser and be happy with it :)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Almost no one in the enthusiast community runs a Mac, because they are nearly impossible to customize.
    And anytime these discussions start this is the point made by those that want to customize.

The majority of people want a computer that works, lasts a long time and provides value over time. The good news is for the general publics needs the need for a new computer every couple of years is over. The tower PC’s I bought in 2018 are still going strong…

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Okay. It's still not absolute garbage with a side of ads like Windows, so I'll stick with Linux. If and when that changes, I'll have to decide what to do at that point. I guarantee if major privacy issues and ads show up in Linux, there will be forks or other distros that I can use that won't have those things, which is the main reason I'm done with Windows.

I'm not telling anyone else what to use, but I'll continue to use Linux on the desktop and Brave as my browser and be happy with it :)
    This-is-the-Way.jpg

That's one of the beautiful things about Linux. Don't like something, replace it, think it can run better, rewrite it. Don't like a distro pick a different one.

One of its greatest strengths is its flexibility. One of the reasons I became a Linux admin and left MS behind for the most part.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    And anytime these discussions start this is the point made by those that want to customize.

The majority of people want a computer that works, lasts a long time and provides value over time. The good news is for the general publics needs the need for a new computer every couple of years is over. The tower PC’s I bought in 2018 are still going strong…

You can easily get 10 years or more out of good hardware. You may need to add disk space or memory over time, but unless you game that should be fine. The OS is what you'll need to tweak or upgrade most often. Of course, if you are in the Apple ecosystem, you'll need to replace perfectly fine hardware due to planned obsolescence.

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I have installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on a couple of older notebook computers. It runs really well on these older systems with only 8Gb of RAM. It's worth replacing the original spinning disk with a ~$50 SSD/nvme drive.
    Battery life of older notebooks can be an issue...

For those that have not tried a Linux OS, it's pretty straight forward to boot from a flash drive and run it from that to evaluate.

I had a pihole (adblocker) running for awhile and have switched to NextDNS ($20/yr).
    I can't tell much difference in the amount of ads I'm seeing between the two. Maybe fewer ads blocked with streaming services using Nextdns. Maybe not...

Another vote for Brave browser.

Top Bottom