Gorillas for self defense? Leave it to the Onion...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Kind of funny, but their analogy is so bad (Gorillas not being inanimate) its not as funny as it could have been. It would actually be funnier the other way. ie if they had been making fun of banners by using an example like; another thousad people were killed or maimed by drunk drivers this month and the sale of automoblie double drink holders more than quadrupled as people feared the government would decrease the number of drinks they could have while in their vehicle. Opponents to the new drink holder ban suggest that the increased use of breathilizers for government employees would likely curb drunk driving accidents more than decreasing the number of easily held drinks. Especially since drinking while driving is illegal in the first place. Meanwhile Plastico stock dropped 8 points as investors fled from the company supplying the polymer to many of the drink holder manufacturers beacuse it is feared to lose business due to anti-high capacity drink holder protests.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Yeah, I enjoy the Onion as much as the next guy, but they're not actually as clever as they think they are. The agenda of the article shot it's self down in the first sentence. A deranged gun can't escape from an owner and go on a rampage. Based on that, the rest of the article completely fails to resonate, and does not even come off as comical. Satire has to actually make sense in order to be effective. Try again Onion.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Aren't they actually ridiculing gun owners here, and the reasoning that the best way to protect yourself against a bad guy with a gun is to have your own gun? :dunno:

Maybe I don't get the Onion any more.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, I couldn't quite follow that either. I know it was SUPPOSED to be funny, but I just didn't know what parts to laugh at.

Now, I've done the same type of thing with toasters. THAT made sense to me. You can actually do all of the same analogies: high capacity 4-slot toasters (why would anyone need more than 2?), assault toasters (they come in black, but get just as hot as the white ones), and of course, the AR-15 of toasters: the toaster oven!

Top Bottom