Got a letter from the NFA yesterday ??????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    They sent me a letter saying I have to send the papers from when I was aressted for possession in IL 10 years ago when I was a dumb kid in college. They said there is no disposition in the case according to the FBI and NCIC. If I dont send it the will deny all my pending forms.
    First off how can they do that its a misdemeanor so it wouldn't make me a prohibited person? Second I have gone through about 30 NICS checks in the last 10 years and this isn't my first NFA item. Why is it a problem now?:xmad: I have to wait till Tue to call them since Monday is a holiday. I will let everyone know what happens.

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Did you go through a CLEO sign off or set up a trust? If the sherriff signed off on your form I'm surprised they'd want more info yet.

Timelinex

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    So are you not sending them the papers because you dont have them, or more of a principle type of thing?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The arrest and disposition are two different things. They don't get to see the full picture. All they know is that you were arrested for possession, the disposition can be anything from "dropped charges" to "B felony" Often people say they were convicted of possession of marijuana while applying for a job but the background check says they were convicted of dealing cocaine in a school with a handgun enhancement. Generally what you are arrest for and what you get charged with are two different things and the difference can be significant. You may be arrested for dealing and have the state drop it to a possession charge as they can't prove the intent. At the same time you may be arrested for possession but since this is your 5 time this year, the Misd gets bumped to a felony. You may also get arrested for constructive possession as in you are driving in a car with a pound of weed on the dashboard. When the cop says, "who's weed is this?" and no one says anything then everyone goes to the pokie. Later on in trial one guy says, "the weed is mine" and the case against you gets dropped. This is a common practice amongst celebrities and athletes that get popped for possession.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    thanks for the info guys nothing has happened yet I can't get ahold of them well at least the ones I need to talk to anyways I have left messages and just waiting to hear back I will let everyone know what happens

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    well I heard from them today and they said just respond with the answers in a email and they will reply if they need anything else. I hope to get some approved forms back soon. :-D

BK1962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    North Liberty
    Ugh. They are a pain at times. You have to wonder what triggers the interest at this point. Is there a new filter in the system they are using that brings up those type of issues? Or could it be as simple as an over zealous agent making sure he hasn't missed anything? At any rate I hope you get through and await the final outcome...

Top Bottom