Got bestowed a great honor this weekend...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, a year ago I finished my MSEE at Purdue and wanted to do something to give back to the community. I decided to become a Volunteer Firefighter / Medic at our local firehouse.

I went through the training (Firefighter 1&2, Hazmat, NIMS, etc) that the state requires, as well as all of the requirements that the FD has for probationary members. I worked hard, volunteered for a lot of "special" details (funerals, hose testing, community events, etc), and took over managing their IT services. I am still (until January 4, 2012) a probationary member, so I didn't get any end of the year money for any of the points that I accumulated for performing work, attending training, or runs that I made. I was more than okay with that, I was just happy to be part of the team. I am not doing this for the money anyway.

Saturday was the HFD Christmas party. At the end of dinner there is an awards ceremony. The Chief started off the ceremony by having a patient who went into full arrest come in to present the life saver award to the crew that brought him back via defibrillation and CPR. I was not part of this run, I wish I was. It was an emotional moment for everyone as his wife was also there filming the entire thing, with tears in her eyes. This was more meaningful a moment than my HS, BSEE and MSEE graduation ceremonies combined.

At the end of the ceremony there is a award for "Member of the year" and I am deeply honored to be the recipient.

376064_712319963492_57101595_34750635_212120790_n.jpg

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Congrats! Way to help out your community. Also, I hope you were able to find a job out of Purdue. My gf goes to Purdue and I know how that tuition can pile up.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Congrats Man! I have been a Volunteer FF for as long as I can remember. Although I now get paid to be a FF, the times with the Volunteer Dept. are the best.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats! Way to help out your community. Also, I hope you were able to find a job out of Purdue. My gf goes to Purdue and I know how that tuition can pile up.

Thanks Greg. I was lucky enough to get a job as a EE when I graduated with my BSEE from IPFW. My work paid for my MSEE while I worked and started my family. It was a long road, but worth it none the less.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Congrats! Our end of the year banquet is this Saturday.. I've been doing this for about 3 years and loving every minute of it.

Top Bottom