• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so I am planning my annual fall camping trip and I am having trouble coming up with good dinner ideas. We will be cooking for about 8-10 men. In the past we have cooked steaks, beef stew, chilli, ham, smoked/pulled pork.. This is not a pack light and hike in camp out so dang near anything is an option. So what are your favorite camp foods??

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What is a camp without beans and bacon and cornbread? Sausage/green beans/potatos work pretty good. Corned beef and cabbage is an easy cook also.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well, this wouldn't necessarily apply to you, but it's still tasty and energy packed. My brother and I only take what we can either carry, or sometimes get in a canoe. We pack zattarans beans and rice. Black beans are preferable. Shoot a couple of squirrels, clean them so you have the legs and back straps. Throw those in with the beans and rice when it cooks, and toward the end, toss in some cashews. Packs light, has tons of energy, will still get you by if you can't get the squirrels, and tastes amazing.

But since you aren't weight conscious, I'd just take a bunch of bacon.

Last edited:

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Back straps can be grilled if u have a grate(wrapped in bacon of course), backed beans can be cooked over a fire in the can, sweet corn if u can still get some that is good (left in the husk and soaked in water a head of time). My wife also pre made chicken fajitas before we went camping last time. We threw the chicken and peppers in a cast skillet and fried it up.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Take a roasting hen and rub it down with garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper and put a whole peeled onion inside. Do this a day before you go and put it in the fridge in a gallon ziploc. Then, in a dutch oven, put the chicken, 2 cups of broth, a bag of baby carrots, celery, and about 3 pounds of red potatoes. Add 2TB of salt, and 8 cloves of garlic. Cook until the chicken and potatoes are done. Eat it separate, or pull the chicken and stir it back in with a half cup of flower to make a stew. We just call it campfire chicken. Feeds 3.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Well, this wouldn't necessarily apply to you, but it's still tasty and energy packed. My brother and I only take what we can either carry, or sometimes got in a canoe. We pack zattarans beans and rice. Black beans are preferable. Shoot a couple of squirrels, clean them so you have the legs and back straps. Throw those in with the beans and rice when it cooks, and toward the end, toss in some cashews. Packs light, has tons of energy, will still get you by if you can't get the squirrels, and tastes amazing.

But since you aren't weight conscious, I'd just take a bunch of bacon.

We like the Zattarans Jambalaya with some sausage thrown in. If you found some crawfish at your camp that would be a nice add.

For bread we like to pack pita bread. No need to worry about crushing while packing like regular but still has some texture, flavor and substance.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In a large pot, cover bottom with potatoes, quartered cabbage, two large onions quartered, corn on the cob cut in half. cut up smoked sausage, cover with chicken stock. Season liberally between layers with PSRTOGSPT. Bring to boil, simmer covered for 30 minutes.

Parsley, sage , rosemary, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, Course ground pepper and Tony Chachers.

You may also add green beans if you like. If it were a mixed crowd I would also cut up chicken for the women.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One of my most memorable was simple, and easy. And tasty.

Boil a bag of extra wide egg noodles. While doing that fry up a pound of ground beef. Drain and add the noodles to the beef. Add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of milk. Quick and easy Beef stroganoff.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Hobo or foil dinners are quite tasty. Can be prepped ahead of time, frozen and will be ready to go on the coals anytime during a weekend. Not the best for weight saving, but my current ruck sack has four wheel drive. :):

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Hobo or foil dinners are quite tasty. Can be prepped ahead of time, frozen and will be ready to go on the coals anytime during a weekend. Not the best for weight saving, but my current ruck sack has four wheel drive. :):

We do the hobo dinners with the in laws every time we go out to their camper. Easy and delicious. I like A-1 with them. Doubling up on the foil is a must.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Foil is fabulous. Ribeye steak, corn on the cob, potatoes, carrots and onion.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My kida enjoy foul dinner..aka hobo dinners so much we occasionally take the grate out of the charcoal grill and make some up then go inside for a family dinner and movie night.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Two-Can Jambalaya

Ingredients
    2 cans (10-ounce each) Ro-Tel tomatoes
    2 cans (10 1/2-ounce each) condensed French onion soup
    2 cans (10 1/2-ounce each) concentrated beef consomme
    2 cans (about 1 pound) white rice (measure in soup can)
    2 cans (about 1 pound) kielbasa sausage (measure in soup can)
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into cubes

Directions
    Combine ingredients in Dutch oven.
    Bake at 350 (8 coals under and 17 on top).
    Cook for 1 hour or until rice is tender.

You can add other things as long as you have enough moisture to soften the rice. You can also increase it to "Three Can Jambalaya" if you have more people or bigger appetites.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    The smoked sausage/green beans/potatoes mixed is one of our staples. We don't typically go all out for breakfast so I usually do a big cast iron pan of sausage gravy and we heat canned biscuits up in a cast iron pan with a lid.

A good breakfast item that is quick and easy. They make these precooked sausage crumbles that are already cooked. You buy those, buy some of the new soft shell standable tacos shells. Cook some scrambled eggs in the skillet and heat up the sausage crumbles. Pile both in the standing tacos with cheese and salsa for morning burritos. Takes about 5 minutes of prep.

Top Bottom