• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Georgetown, IN
    Over the last couple weeks the wife and I have been talking about buying a home defense shotgun. I/we have been doing some internet research and reading the forums on Ingo. We decided on a Mossberg 590, but would also consider the 500. We really want one with the collapsable stock so my wife and son can shoot it too.

Yesterday we had cash in hand and went shopping in the Jeff/Clarksville/New Albany area and came up blank. Seemed we got the same story pretty much everywhere we went..."we had a couple last week, but sold out now." Several stores checked availability with their suppliers, who were also out of stock.

I know crazy things have been happening on the AR/AK front, but had no idea finding a 18.5" or 20" barrel HD shotgun would be so difficult. Is this normal, or just poor timing with all the gun control hysteria?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Over the last couple weeks the wife and I have been talking about buying a home defense shotgun. I/we have been doing some internet research and reading the forums on Ingo. We decided on a Mossberg 590, but would also consider the 500. We really want one with the collapsable stock so my wife and son can shoot it too.

Yesterday we had cash in hand and went shopping in the Jeff/Clarksville/New Albany area and came up blank. Seemed we got the same story pretty much everywhere we went..."we had a couple last week, but sold out now." Several stores checked availability with their suppliers, who were also out of stock.

I know crazy things have been happening on the AR/AK front, but had no idea finding a 18.5" or 20" barrel HD shotgun would be so difficult. Is this normal, or just poor timing with all the gun control hysteria?

Just poor timing. Did a LGS crawl early this week I went to Bradis, PSS and Fort Liberty and again today Bradis. Bradis still has some HD shotguns in stock. I remember seeing one 500. They also have several 12ga and 20ga. I believe I saw a 20ga with a red dot on top, it might have been a Mossberg. I would call Bradis Monday or post in their section of INGO to see exactly what they have in stock.

Bradis also has a couple of Rossi Circuit Judge carbines. You can shoot 410 and .45 colt. Neat idea more of a HD gun than a hunting gun in my opinion. Kinda a novelty.

Last edited:

Cmustang

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Indy
    Bradis guns on Kentucky ave in Indy/camby just got in 6...had 5 left today. Mossberg 500 with the 18.5" hd barrels...they were only 350 which is pretty solid. Great gun in my opinion only next to maybe a Remington 870/benelli etc. they are very reliable, well priced, fully customizable from scopes, lights, tac rails, optics, various barrels Etc. you can have it changed from hd fully tactical to 26" rifled hunting version in 3 minutes!! Good luck!!!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you want a factory HD model and have the time, you should find one eventually.
    If you want something soon, you could get a field model and add an aftermarket adjustable stock, and cut down a smoothbore bbl.
    FWIW I run a regular 870 Supermag turkey model.
    You might find a turkey model 500 to add the adjust. stock.
    If it's all black and tacticool, everybody wants it.
    Camo or wood stuff sits on the shelves a little longer ;)
    Same guns with minor differences.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Food for thought

We have a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 Persuader. Bear in mind this is a light shotgun and will not be overly pleasant with 3" magnum loads of 00 buck. If you shorten the stock, whether by adjustment or by adding a youth stock as we did, it will be less pleasant yet. We reinstalled the factory stock and have it loaded with "managed recoil" 00 buck. It is no longer painful for the shooter yet still packs more than enough punch to get the job done at in-home distances. The maximum shot likely in our home would be 20' or less. Just something to consider.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    As mentioned, you could pick up a field model in wood furniture from Walmart for $249 and add an 18.5" BBL to it for about another $85 - although the short barrels are hard to come by right now. You could also pick up a Mossberg 500 3-in-one from a local store for $329 but I don't know if they have them in stock or not.

Hurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Georgetown, IN
    Much appreciated

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. Some day I would like to check out Bradis in Camby. According to Google Maps, their store is just over two hours from my place, so it may have to be on a Saturday.

This is the model I was considering:

Mossberg® FLEX™ 590® Tactical 12 Gauge w/Adjustable Stock and 20'' Barrel | Bass Pro Shops

They didn't have it, and had no idea when they might be getting more. Is $499.99 a good price, or as someone suggested, should I be considering a base model and changing barrels? I am not a hunter, so it will never be used outside of plunking, plinking just doesn't sound right for a shotgun, and of course, home defense.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That ^^ Mossy looks like a SOLID choice for a HD gun.

I would recommend you consider a 20ga for HD. Why? Because a 20ga with a slug or 00 buck is easily as deadly as a 12ga, but is much more easily controlled. What if your wife has to save the family? Your teenage son?

20ga isn't the most popular (probably 2nd most), but it is a really sweet spot for all-around defensive purposes. You seem to make big gains in shootability and getting a followup shot on target for only a small sacrifice in load capacity.

Then again, there are now reduced-recoil 12ga rounds that approximate the benefits of a 20ga. Using these shots lets you keep all the versatility of a 12ga without having to shoot some monster-recoiling load.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. Some day I would like to check out Bradis in Camby. According to Google Maps, their store is just over two hours from my place, so it may have to be on a Saturday.

This is the model I was considering:

Mossberg® FLEX™ 590® Tactical 12 Gauge w/Adjustable Stock and 20'' Barrel | Bass Pro Shops

They didn't have it, and had no idea when they might be getting more. Is $499.99 a good price, or as someone suggested, should I be considering a base model and changing barrels? I am not a hunter, so it will never be used outside of plunking, plinking just doesn't sound right for a shotgun, and of course, home defense.

The Marines, use the 590, I think this should be ok .....

Hurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Georgetown, IN
    I would recommend you consider a 20ga for HD. Why? Because a 20ga with a slug or 00 buck is easily as deadly as a 12ga, but is much more easily controlled. What if your wife has to save the family? Your teenage son?

20ga isn't the most popular (probably 2nd most), but it is a really sweet spot for all-around defensive purposes. You seem to make big gains in shootability and getting a followup shot on target for only a small sacrifice in load capacity.

Then again, there are now reduced-recoil 12ga rounds that approximate the benefits of a 20ga. Using these shots lets you keep all the versatility of a 12ga without having to shoot some monster-recoiling load.

One LGS had a 20 ga in stock, without the pistol grip and adjustable stock. I am a complete noob to shotguns to be completely honest. Is 20 gauge ammo as readily available as the 12 gauge? Can I pick up a bulk pack at Wally World generally on my way out to the range?

If so, I may reconsider it. Both my wife and I handled it at the LGS, and it felt pretty good. I assume I could always buy a pistol grip / adjustable stock later.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    yeah, once the ARs and AKs dried up, then the HD type shotguns did. then the pistols.

ive been looking to replace my mossberg with an equivalent remington. i absolutely hate it. no offense to mossy lovers, just have been raised on 870s. but either brand right now is hard to find. give it a few months. shotguns will be the first to be re-stocked.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    One LGS had a 20 ga in stock, without the pistol grip and adjustable stock. I am a complete noob to shotguns to be completely honest. Is 20 gauge ammo as readily available as the 12 gauge? Can I pick up a bulk pack at Wally World generally on my way out to the range?

If so, I may reconsider it. Both my wife and I handled it at the LGS, and it felt pretty good. I assume I could always buy a pistol grip / adjustable stock later.

20ga should be no harder to find than 12ga. Maybe even easier right now, since the majority of people hording have 12ga it seems.

I am going to get a 870 in 20ga this year and I'm looking into the Knoxx recoil reducing stock for it. For the reasons mentioned above...wife/son needing to use it while I'm not home or out of town.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    You needed to widen your search area! I picked up a 18.5" barrel Mossie 500 at a small backwoods shop 2 weeks ago for $185. Has a Tasco red dot and a flashlight attachment also! Put a $20 pistol grip on it and it's beside the bed right now.....

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Don't Mossbergs kick like mules? lol

I'd get a Remington or Winchester :)

Not too terribly....It came with a field synthetic stock, I just changed it out. I own several 870's and 1100's, I just wanted a "beater" shotgun to play with. I shot a couple rounds of 00 and #4 Buck out of it with the pistol grip on, stung a bit but is controllable. But I'm 6 foot and 230#, your experiences may vary, LOL.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Not too terribly....It came with a field synthetic stock, I just changed it out. I own several 870's and 1100's, I just wanted a "beater" shotgun to play with. I shot a couple rounds of 00 and #4 Buck out of it with the pistol grip on, stung a bit but is controllable. But I'm 6 foot and 230#, your experiences may vary, LOL.

I'm not sure which Mossbergs I've shot but I swear they kicked more than other 12ga's.

Top Bottom