• LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't Mossbergs kick like mules? lol

I'd get a Remington or Winchester :)
    don't think there is any difference in any brand name - (unless you have a special anti-recoil device installed in the stock) - all depends on the weight of the firearm, the load chosen. Besides, in a SHTF or home invader situation, I doubt even a 95 lb, 80 YO lady would even notice the recoil - if they shot to stop a BG. You can always "practice" with a light load and use the Double ought magnums for real situations.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP drive to Seymour and check out Bite the Bullet and ACME. They usually always have self defense shotguns in stock.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    FN SLP for me

Nice gun, but an autoloader is a good bit more $$ than the OP seems interested in.

For me, I'd go with a Benelli M4 for an autloader, but the FNs get high praise.

One thing about a pump gun like a SuperNova is that they can deliver the big daddy 3.5" shells.

I don't think any tactical autoloader can handle the 3.5"s because they can't encompass the 3 1/2" and the 2 3/4"

The autoloader gives more speed and tactical simplicity but the pump gives your more versatility.

H

36fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Nice gun, but an autoloader is a good bit more $$ than the OP seems interested in.

For me, I'd go with a Benelli M4 for an autloader, but the FNs get high praise.
    I agree on the autoloader. Everyone talks about the sound a pump action makes when racking a round, but no one ever seems to consider you have to physically work the action for every round. I have, and have seen, people short shuck a round and jam a pump shotgun while shooting clay pigeons and/or waterfowl hunting.

...Now insert a newbie in a high stress situation. Can you work the action flawlessly? Could your wife? or your son? Would they know what to do if it did get jammed by short shucking it?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I agree on the autoloader. Everyone talks about the sound a pump action makes when racking a round, but no one ever seems to consider you have to physically work the action for every round. I have, and have seen, people short shuck a round and jam a pump shotgun while shooting clay pigeons and/or waterfowl hunting.

...Now insert a newbie in a high stress situation. Can you work the action flawlessly? Could your wife? or your son? Would they know what to do if it did get jammed by short shucking it?

That's my argument, too. In a true crisis situation, you need to be able to point and squeeze until the mag is empty.

Dexterity under duress is *very* difficult, even with training. 80% of the rounds shot by the NYPD in a hostile gunfight miss the intended target. These are trained "pros"-- is the avg homeowners going to do better?

I'm guessing not. Complexity can be deadly. KISS may save your life.

That's why I chose a glock for my pistol (draw and fire). It's also why I'd recommend an autoloader for the optimal HD shotgun.

JMO

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    After the Christmas season, the panic was in full bloom. At my LGS, Moss 500s were going for $399.00 w/ 18 1/2 in bbl.

A friend who worked at the LGS, mentioned the Wally Mart M500 Field Pump, w/ 28in bbl, ported, multi chokes. Said he bought one for his son there cheaper than his work!

Stopped by and yep, now have one! The fed check took about 15 mins, no one ahead of me at WM. Am looking on Ebay for barrels, and Ingo Classified, but scrolling through pages of magazines and ammo is crazy. Hope it slows down soon.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

Use a pump enough and they seem to cycle on their own :)

BTW, autoloaders can jam, and double feed too. Plus some types may be more sensitive to ammo and or cleaning intervals.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    don't think there is any difference in any brand name - (unless you have a special anti-recoil device installed in the stock) - all depends on the weight of the firearm, the load chosen. Besides, in a SHTF or home invader situation, I doubt even a 95 lb, 80 YO lady would even notice the recoil - if they shot to stop a BG. You can always "practice" with a light load and use the Double ought magnums for real situations.

Mossberg and Remington field guns may differ in stock dimensions. I know the old Mossberg recoil pads were pretty stiff (compared to Big Green's offering).
    There may also be a weight difference since Mossberg runs an aluminum receiver.
    Forend position may also change form and recoil perception. The old 835's made ya stretch to get a decent grasp. They later moved those forends back, but that left a space ahead of it and it looks pretty funky (the old ones looked better IMHO).

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Orion Arms in Clarksville has a rack of pistol gripped 590's with heat shields and 8 rd mag tubes for $399. Red Barn Bait Shop, North of Salem on 135, has a Maverick 88 with heat shield, 8 rd mag and regular synthetic stock for $195. They are out there if you look hard enough.

36fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Use a pump enough and they seem to cycle on their own :)

BTW, autoloaders can jam, and double feed too. Plus some types may be more sensitive to ammo and or cleaning intervals.
    You're right autoloaders can jam too, but i would rate a higher probability of a jam occurring is a newbie short-shucking a pump.

How about a good old fashioned side-by-side double barrel shotgun, with extra rounds riding side-saddle? No jams there.

Hurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Georgetown, IN
    Pulled the trigger...well I bought a Mossberg 500

I called HiTek Firearms in Sellersburg this morning and they did have a Mossberg 500 Persuader 20 gauge in stock. Plus, they had an ATI pistol grip/adjustable stock. The price for the gun & adjustable grip was $475 was out the door. They installed the stock while i waited, no-charge, plus they even threw in one of their pink HiTek t-shirts for the wife.

While I was there I signed up for a defensive shotgun class scheduled for February 23rd. I can't wait for the class and throw some lead shot and slugs down range.

I am happy with my purchase, so please don't bust my chops if you could have gotten one for less somewhere else. I like supporting my LGS whenever possible. :)

Thanks for all the advice you guys have posted her over the past few days. It has been very helpful.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Congratulations, Hurley. I think you found a versatile firearm. I also think a 20ga is a wise choice over a 12ga for a number of reasons.

I do have a question about the ATI pistol grip stock on the Mossy: Can you activate/deactivate the safety with the control hand remaining on the pistol grip?

I've got a Rem 870 and a Mossberg 930SPX. I specifically selected the 930SPX with the standard stock because the pistol grip didn't allow fluid safety use with the Mossberg top-of-receiver ambi safety. Honestly, I used to own a 500 Pers 12ga and tried the ATI pistol grip / folding stock. Hated it.

Hope it all works out for you. Good move on the training class. I would suggest you bring the fixed non-pistol-grip stock with you to the class, along with the long flat edge screw driver to reinstall the original. Try both. You may find that a standard stock works MUCH better for you - particularly in a Mossberg platform.

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    I was at the Walmart in Lafayette the other day to buy a 535 and they had a couple of the black tactical home defence shotguns. I didn't look at prices or brands, but if you're really anxious, i would give that a shot.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Picture this, last month I mosied over to Braddis on my way home from work.
    A used Mossberg 500 with extended tube, synthetic stock,scope mount and scope $250. Like a DUMB A$$ I picked it up and put it down in the rack failing to notice it was the ONLY 12 ga shotgun in the room, that it was worth more IMHO than $250 in its condition, and that I had $85 cash in my car and coulda/shoulda put it on hold till the next day with that. You guessed it, went back the next day for it and it was G O N E :dunno:Like Bugs Bunny "Whata Maroon, Whata Maroon":(

That was like tossing away a lotto ticket, eh?

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    i found 2 at cabelas stevens 320 and maverick 88. i got the stevens because it was only left but maverick 88 feels better

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    Have you checked your local pawn shops? I know Alan's Pawn shop in Anderson has ordered HD shotguns to keep in stock. Not sure which brand but I know they are trying to keep them in stock.

Top Bottom