got my first Glock 19 gen 3 lastnight!! any tips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    For inside the waist band carry you have many options, especially for the G19 where you can find many models molded just for this gun.

Depends if you like leather, kydex, both leather and kydex etc.
    kydex for sure. man getting to 50 post takes for ever lol. i cant wait to get this baby in the classifieds to see if anyone wants to trade. im not sure i can wait it out before i start shooting it lol.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    oh ive got plenty of training?? i just got back from Iraq. plus ive shot lots of handguns in my days. this is just my first glock

Military training is great for teaching you military matters. I bet you'd learn a lot if you took some personal defense classes outside of the military.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    kydex for sure. man getting to 50 post takes for ever lol. i cant wait to get this baby in the classifieds to see if anyone wants to trade. im not sure i can wait it out before i start shooting it lol.

Why do you want to get rid of it? :dunno:

That's one of the best carry guns you can get in my opinion, I have one in my wish list for ever.
    It's easy to carry concealed yet full size to use at the range all day long.

:twocents:

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    Military training is great for teaching you military matters. I bet you'd learn a lot if you took some personal defense classes outside of the military.
    ive done that aswell lol. im not saying i cant shoot i just always thought the laser thing was cool? and i know that with these glocks saftey is the number one thing to remember since it has no saftey. do u guys keep one in the chamber when u carry?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Why would you need a red dot or laser or other crap on a carry gun???

In 95% of self defense situation you wont even use the sights, you will just point and shoot.
    In the 5% of the other situation where you will need to aim with the sights to shoot, then the standard Glock sights are more than enough.

What you may need is a good mounted flashlight if you are going to use the gun for home defense.
    For a carry gun, keep it light weight, compact and simple.

Have you taken a Low Light Class yet?

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    ive done that aswell lol. im not saying i cant shoot i just always thought the laser thing was cool? and i know that with these glocks saftey is the number one thing to remember since it has no saftey. do u guys keep one in the chamber when u carry?

Yes. One in the chamber.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Did you carry with an empty chamber down range?

Lasers are good in low light situations, which are very common when one would need a gun the most.

Take a Low Light class, opened my eyes to lot of diffent equipment, lights and situations.

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    Yes. One in the chamber.
    thats how ive carried all my guns. but like i said ive never had a glock and i hear the trigger is touchy? ive heard lots of reports of people even cops shooting themselves. but id say that commonsense and the right holster go a long way.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

become a site support and join the community

no waiting ;)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    thats how ive carried all my guns. but like i said ive never had a glock and i hear the trigger is touchy? ive heard lots of reports of people even cops shooting themselves. but id say that commonsense and the right holster go a long way.

A stock Glock trigger is about as far from touchy as you can get...

pate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Bloomington area
    Did you carry with an empty chamber down range?

Lasers are good in low light situations, which are very common when one would need a gun the most.

Take a Low Light class, opened my eyes to lot of diffent equipment, lights and situations.
    we did alot of shooting in the dark. and that was when i started thinking how nice a laser would be but at the same time its a dead giveaway of your position too?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    With good trigger discipline you shouldn't have any problem carrying your gun with one in the chamber.
    What if you cant use your second hand (hand injured, holding someone, pushing someone away etc) to rack the slide and chamber a round?
    Of course you have many techniques that you can use to chamber a round without your other hand but that takes time.

For me carrying WITHOUT a round in the chamber is danger and makes the gun near useless.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    we did alot of shooting in the dark. and that was when i started thinking how nice a laser would be but at the same time its a dead giveaway of your position too?

I would not care as they would be blinded by my light while I am shooting their ass.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Shooting at someone with a loud "bang" and a bright flash from the gun is a good giveaway too.
    Like with flashlights you dont always keep them on, especially as you move.

Even in the dark I dont use a laser, I dont use the sights anyway in most close range shooting situations.Like shooting from the hip and such.
    It's just point and shoot, low light or not.
    Of course I do use a light to identify my target, unless the threat is right on me and it's obviously a threat.In that case you dont have the time to use a light, nore you need to since the person is on you clearly attacking you.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    good call, police stats show must of their gun encounters are after dark or in low light.

Yes I try to practice in the worse conditions to be ready for anything.
    I practice hand-to-hand combat in low light conditions too, sometimes even with no light at all.
    You can also use those techniques during the day too, if you can no longer use your eyes.
    Someone sprayed you in the face with pepper spray for example. :dunno:

You can still "feel and shoot" your attacker.

Top Bottom