• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FirstTime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    It has a picatinny rail, what would you guys suggest as far as optics. What would be most suitable, not going to be firing over a couple hundred yards and maybe even less. Depends on the situation obviously.

FirstTime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Always been fascinated by these and had to pick it up. lol!! Just realized it was you... Yugo, funny... Yugoslavian M59/66 SKS

75023_503701036335730_1144705274_n_zps9caffaef.jpg

9509_503701039669063_1949539130_n_zps6330553b.jpg

736413_503701033002397_1124547637_o_zps293bd6f0.jpg

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Nice looking gun. I prefer the wood look but for a 'Bubba'd' gun that is a nice looking modification.

That Picatany<sp?> rail isn't the greatest in the world...so don't expect wonders there. That rear cover comes off everytime you clean it and I thnk throw's your 0 off.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    The best possible thing you could do to that gun is to go buy some original furniture and get rid of all that plastic crap!:D

Any red dot will do you fine for an optic, unless you are looking for magnification.

securitysix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    As mentioned, after your first two or three you will want the original versions,wood stock, 10rnd mag. And after a day on the range with your sks's you can sit back and reload all those strippers. Use caution. This could be an addiction.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I bought one at Dunham's, for my Dad. Paid $89 for it. Covered in cosmoline. Took the stock off and ran it through the dishwasher. Wife still smacks me up side the head, for that. :abused:

77broncoman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    That Picatany<sp?> rail isn't the greatest in the world...so don't expect wonders there. That rear cover comes off everytime you clean it and I thnk throw's your 0 off.[/QUOTE]

Agreed....I have tried the scope mount integrated into the removable rear cover. Lost my zero every time I cleaned it. Ended up with a scope mount that screwed onto the side of the receiver (required some drilling and tapping). Much better at holding zero now.

I would tend to focus on that area first before deciding on optics.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    I bought one at Dunham's, for my Dad. Paid $89 for it. Covered in cosmoline. Took the stock off and ran it through the dishwasher. Wife still smacks me up side the head, for that. :abused:

Spectacular! I got my first one back in 1993 at about the same price. It was covered in that crap as well. I do not even remember how I cleaned it, but definitely not in the dishwasher (only b/c I didn't think of it)!

Just think....they are sitting in LGS at $500 right now.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Co-worker bought an entire case of Yugo SKS's and a dozen spam cans of ammo. He handed them out to family members, back in Christmas of 93. The 1994 ban came along, and he was treated like a prophet.

gotojuston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Downstairs, behind the axe
    You are going to love that gun. Google "Murray's firing pin". This guy knows his way around an SKS, nice fellow too. A couple mods I opted for were the spring loaded firing pin and shaved bolt to allow mag loads when closed. I have a Norinco model though. Overall - great system regardless of origin. Enjoy!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Eh - too many purists on this board. It's your gun; it's not rare - do with it what you want. That Tapco stock looks good IMO.

As for a scope, the only way you're going to hold a good zero is if you do what was previously mentioned and tap the receiver for a scope mount.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Forget stripper clips. Either leave the original fixed 10rnd mag on it or just use removable 30rnd banana mags. If you need to reload it fast, as in the heat of battle, the bottom cover comes off the fixed mag and with the bolt closed, just drop 10 rnds of loose ammo into it and slam the bottom of the mag closed. Infinitely faster than trying to press 10 rounds in off a stripper clip.

Top Bottom