• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    CMP turnover time is fast now. I sent the check/paperwork out April 23rd and it got here yesterday, May 20th. I had to pick it up today because I missed the delivery attempt. I need to buy a book or something on this and wouldn't mind staining it darker either. Any book suggestions?

p5211260.jpg

p5211259.jpg

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Welcome to the Garand ownership club. That's a nice lookin' SG SA -- good numbers too. You'll be able to shoot that one for a good long time.

Don't turn your back on it. M1s tend to mutiply when you're not looking, and before you know it you have a safe full of them.

kcwolf200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    Congratulations! A book I got when I received my Garand was "The M1 Garand: Owner's Guide" by Scoot Duff. Lots of good info on maintenance and assembly and disassembly. I bought it on Amazon.

I got one with new wood just like yours. Google different ways to finish that stock to protect it. I went the boiled linseed oil (BLO) route, but lots of good arguments for pure tung oil. I left the color as is and it is looking really nice (got about 5 coats of BLO). Still a work in progress...

Also in regards to refinishing, there is a thread I started with lots of good feedback from INGO members on here that you could search for. Good luck.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Looks great!!!

If you decide to darken the wood use this: Leather Dye :: Dye for Leather :: Fiebing's Horse & Leather Care Products

It sounds crazy but this leather dye is the best way I have found to stain vintage war guns. I have stained at least 75-100 guns with this stuff. You can find it in person at the leather shop located at 300 S Illinois in Indy and probably other places also.

If you just want to protect it I would +1 the reccomendation above of BLO. BLO was the only stock preservative which was ok'd by the Army during WWII. It soaks in so sometimes several coats is needed.

After the BLO you can use a combination of beeswax and parafein to seal it in the pores.

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS!!

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Looks great!!!

If you decide to darken the wood use this: Leather Dye :: Dye for Leather :: Fiebing's Horse & Leather Care Products

It sounds crazy but this leather dye is the best way I have found to stain vintage war guns. I have stained at least 75-100 guns with this stuff. You can find it in person at the leather shop located at 300 S Illinois in Indy and probably other places also.

If you just want to protect it I would +1 the reccomendation above of BLO. BLO was the only stock preservative which was ok'd by the Army during WWII. It soaks in so sometimes several coats is needed.

After the BLO you can use a combination of beeswax and parafein to seal it in the pores.

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS!!

Thanks guys.
    Thanks for all the help Currahee!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Been off line....computer got a trojan.... just got back online today...Congrats on the Garand!!! I was shooting one of mine last fri. at Bass n Bucks an met 2 fellow INGO guys, good people but can't remember their names...at 540 yards I'm shooting at 19 clicks up, an at 740 yds was hitting the 4X8 plywood somewhere at 24 clicks up....amazing how accurate these rifles are.

Top Bottom