• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    My friends dad got me some steel plates from where he works. They are not ar500 or anything like that but i was just wanting to see what they would hold up to. First i shot it with my 9mm Bersa.
    9mmplate.jpg
    It just cleaned off the rust and no pits or marks at all so thats good because i was wanting to use them for my hand gun course.
    Then I shot it with my AR with m885 and it really dug in deep but didnt make it through.
    standard223.jpg

standardback.jpg

Then i shot it with steel core (armor piercing) rounds in my AR. They went right on through :D .
    armorfront.jpg

armorback.jpg

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not to be a jerk, but steel core rounds are not armor piercing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe armor piercing rounds are class III.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Not to be a jerk, but steel core rounds are not armor piercing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe armor piercing rounds are class III.

No, AP rounds are not "class III" but they are import/manufacture restricted and so are quite rare or not so rare depending on the caliber and how the atf has designated them. 30-06 ap is quite plentiful while I've never seen 5.56 ap (m955) available on the civilian market. 50 BMG AP is still out there if you look and I've run across 7.62x51 on occasion.

Best,

Joe

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No, AP rounds are not "class III" but they are import/manufacture restricted and so are quite rare or not so rare depending on the caliber and how the atf has designated them. 30-06 ap is quite plentiful while I've never seen 5.56 ap (m955) available on the civilian market. 50 BMG AP is still out there if you look and I've run across 7.62x51 on occasion.

Best,

Joe
    Aren't the 5.56 M855 (green tip) considered "light armor piercing"? I know they're officially designated as "penetrator" or something like that... :dunno:

Top Bottom