• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's gouging if you need something and you are forced to buy it from a particular source, as in natural gas and electricity. It isn't gouging if you don't have to have it to survive and you aren't being forced to buy it.

I sold a couple guns in the last few months and made some money. The buyers agreed on the price and we made a deal. Another guy I know who made some money said he was smart enough to start buying what he thought he might need/want as soon as the Emperor was elected the first time and saw what was coming when he was re-elected. The massacre at Sandy Hook just opened the flood gates of demand for those who've been sleeping.

I've gone a step further now and made plans for what I need if/when there is a total ban on all semi-autos. I'm satisfied at where I am. When the next step happens and Joe Average wakes up and realizes he needs a revolver, a pump shotty and a bolt .308 and gets caught in the next Shortage From Hell he deserves what he has to pay, if he can find anything that he wants.

It's funny now that the prices have gone up, everyone keeps saying that the panic is unfounded. Why is everyone in a panic? Could it possibly be that repubs have been beating the "Obama will ban all your guns" drum for 5 years now? It's a valid point when it's a campaign tool but now it's unfounded. :rolleyes:

Should the prices come back down, I will stock up again. My supplies will be good bartering tools later on.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I didn't say your opinion causes more sales. I said it further decreases the market supply. Guys like myself might feel sympathetic to those poor and downtrodden shooters who can't find 22 ammo. If I offered to sell someone a 550 round bulk pack for $25, you and others would cry that I'm ripping them off. My ammo isn't costing me anything sitting in my shelf and I don't need the money. Why should I sell it for what I paid for it when I can easily get $30 for it? Yet if I offer it for $25, I'm called a gouger. So instead, I'll not sell it to anyone at any price. That's real ammo that could go on the market but won't because the cryers bullied it out. I don't mind helping a brother out but a brother isn't entitled to my time and investment with no benefit to myself.

Incorrect, if you offered it for $60 a box you are a gouger!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    There is no such thing as gouging in a free market.

This is not a free market, it is being directly and indirectly manipulated by the visible hand of the government.

I frankly don't give much of a hoot, my biggest complaint is that the "My junk is worth its weight in gold and you gold is worth half its weight in silver" traders have gotten 5x as bad. Oh well, I'm just holding onto my $$ to snap stuff up extra cheap in a few months when gas is $5+ a gallon and credit card bills come due.

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    In some states this may be their last chance to legally purchase some of these items. It is not a false panic or just in their mind. Waiting 6-12 months for supplies to stabilize is not an option. Be thankful that here in Indiana some of these BS laws will not get passed. I know everyone says it will never happen.... It is happening as we type. New York, Colorado, California, Illinois. It is a larger market than just Indiana. If you want something just be glad you can still legally own/purchase it. If you are selling you are going to get more and if you are buying you are going to pay more. It isnt gouging, it is current market prices. Msrp doesnt matter if the manufacturer cant supply you with one. Rock River clearly states that many of its parts and assemblies are on indefinite back order. I guess you can wait...indefinitely... if you want to pay msrp.

mwcooke

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I think that some of the prices people are asking are down right ridiculous, and there is no way I would pay them. With that being said, if they find someone who is willing to pay that, then more power to them. Thats what makes America great. Capitalism, is what made us at one time the kings of the world. We can't sit here and say that it isn't fare for Obama to "spread the wealth" and even the playing field for the poor, and then turn around and say that people can't offer to sell their stuff for whatever they want. Don't get me wrong, it annoys me, but its their right. Its their gun. I offered a guy $600 for an xdm, he told me he needed $800. I think thats absurd, and would never pay it. But, if he finds someone that will, then thats between the two of them. As long as people are willing to pay crazy prices, people selling are going to be asking crazy prices. The value of anything is only as high as someone is willing to pay for it. With that being said, I have a really nice XDM I would be willing to sell for $2000 if anyone is interested. I will even throw in 3 live rounds and 47 brass casings. :rockwoot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It comes down to an individuals choice to buy or not. If I post an item for x, and someone is willing to pay it, that's their decision. No one is forcing them to do so. I personally will not pay inflated prices. I would rather wait until things calm down, or do without.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You have the right to say whatever you want. You don't have the right to bully 2 parties in a transaction in which you are not part of. Feel free to say things are priced too high. But there's a fine line between saying your piece and trying to intimidate others. I've given the example here many times. Why would I list a pmag here for $25 only to be called a gouger when I can list it on Gunbroker and get $50 from a willing buyer? Congratulations. You just shrank the number of ads here and just put more money in my pocket. The incessant whining here IS affecting the market place. Just not in the way you think.

I did this exactly. I did not want to be crucified here on INGO, so I started my auctions at no reserve, or if I did set a reserve it was at "pre-panic" prices.
    Here are some examples of a free market:

Bushmaster ACR Enhanced 5.56 MATO .223 223 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Colt Factory 9mm AR-15 Mags. Not ak47 or FAL AR15 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com
    AK47 7.62x39 75 round drum mag not ar15 or fal : AK47 Parts at GunBroker.com
    Colt Factory 9mm AR-15 mag Not ak47 or FAL AR15 : AR15 Parts at GunBroker.com

And for the record those 9mm AR mags I offered to another member on here that had placed a WTB ad, for $50 each. He thought that was too much.
    I'm glad he passed on them. I had $50 each in them, and was just trying to get my money back. From now on, most of my items for sale will just go straight to GB.

Last edited:

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Another way to look at free markets:

If I had acquired 50 AR magazines prior to December at an average of $20/each, then at that time they are each worth at least $20 to me. After the Sandy Hook shooting, magazines become much more difficult (impossible) to obtain due to an increased demand, thus increasing their value to me.

If I know someone is willing to pay $30 each for my magazines at that time, I am not selling them. If I know someone is willing to pay $50 each for them I can possibly part with 5 or so. How about $100? Then I may be willing to sell 10. This opens up supply, which helps people to obtain items at prices that they are fully willing (although not thrilled about) paying.

I don't see what is wrong about doing this. It likely depends on which side of the table you are on. But keep complaining and calling people "gougers" and the free market folks will pack up and head home, further decreasing supply and in turn increasing prices even further.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    ...I don't see what is wrong about doing this. It likely depends on which side of the table you are on. But keep complaining and calling people "gougers" and the free market folks will pack up and head home, further decreasing supply and in turn increasing prices even further.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this unless you believe the government should set price ceilings like some of the folks on this thread believe.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't see what is wrong about doing this. It likely depends on which side of the table you are on. But keep complaining and calling people "gougers" and the free market folks will pack up and head home, further decreasing supply and in turn increasing prices even further.

What is more likely to happen is that the whiners won't get a lot of returned PM's when they offer to buy something in the classifieds.

Just sayin.....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What is more likely to happen is that the whiners won't get a lot of returned PM's when they offer to buy something in the classifieds.

Just sayin.....

What is much more likely to happen is that the whiners won't offer to buy something
    in the classifieds from someone who was doing the [STRIKE]gouging[/STRIKE] sorry... creative pricing.

Just sayin.....

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    What is much more likely to happen is that the whiners won't offer to buy something
    in the classifieds from someone who was doing the [STRIKE]gouging[/STRIKE] sorry... creative pricing.

Just sayin.....

Here, allow me to demonstrate this principle in action.......

ctdremoval_zpsc2fbfa43.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Not relevant to my point. I mentioned the classified on INGO.

Extrapolating into the market at large doesn't mean much.

It means the same thing everywhere.

Gougers anywhere (this includes INGO classifeds) won't be getting any offers from me to buy their merchandise. :twocents:

Top Bottom